Can you hunt and export Mountain Zebra from South Africa to the US?

RBurg44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
can you hunt and export mountain zebra in RSA to the US? Not sure bout this

I believe you can.

The Hartmann’s mountain zebra? Yes

Common name: Hartmann's Mountain Zebra
Scientific name: Equus zebra hartmannae
CITES listing: Appendix II

Yes as long as you have the proper hunting permits to obtain a CITES export permit to import it back to the US. The export of hunting trophies of species listed in Appendix I or II should be conditional upon issuance of a CITES export permit.

Attached pdf doc: Trade in hunting trophies of species listed in Appendix I or II

Attachments

• E-Res-17-09.pdf
    200.1 KB · Views: 234
Yes with permits in place. The mountain zebra will run 3-4 times the price in SA as they will in Namibia

I thought the Hartmann's Mountain Zebra could only be hunted in Namibia?

Cape Mountain Zebra, is another matter. If this is the Mountain Zebra you are talking about?!
If I recall correctly, not yet.

I thought the Hartmann's Mountain Zebra could only be hunted in Namibia?
No - they are game ranched in RSA like almost everything else. Their native range is indeed Namibia - and in places like the Orongo Mountains, an incredible hunting experience.

So as far as permits, do you not even apply for the CITES export until successful? Or must you preapply?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarinTill6

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.