Can I travel with ammunition, but no rifle?

Tra3

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I am considering options for a 2020 trip from USA to Namibia (likely via joberg). Can I bring ammo if I don’t bring a rifle?

My issue is if we are going to do additional travel so I can potentially avoid bringing guns.

I am considering options for a 2020 trip from USA to Namibia (likely via joberg). Can I bring ammo if I don’t bring a rifle?

My issue is if we are going to do additional travel so I can potentially avoid bringing guns.
I'd love to know the answer to your question in regards to RSA. Another question I have is that if I am traveling with a rifle and ammo, can I also travel with bullets (that is bullets not loaded in cartridges) in the same caliber?

I'd love to know the answer to your question in regards to RSA. Another question I have is that if I am traveling with a rifle and ammo, can I also travel with bullets (that is bullets not loaded in cartridges) in the same caliber?
I took a box of Barnes bullets with me that my outfitter requested and I only had a bow for my hunt and was never questioned.

I took a box of Barnes bullets with me that my outfitter requested and I only had a bow for my hunt and was never questioned.
Thanks, I was thinking of taking a couple of boxes of Barnes bullets as a gift to the PH as they are a lot cheaper in the US than in RSA.

I happen to have similar rifles as the PH, so I’m contemplating making the trip more simple by not bringing mine. But it would be a convenience and a nice gesture to bring some quality ammo.

Tra3,
You might want to check on import laws and rules. I think I read somewhere it's illegal to bring components into RSA.

One other thing is that unless it is the same brand/bullet as the PH uses he may not use it because he does not want to keep re-sighting in the rifle. That is what my PH told me when I was going to bring extra ammo for him. We had one rifle using the same cartridge. He told me to just not bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg