Call Me "The Waffler"

I have some bad experiences with slightly quartering to shots where the boat tail lead alloy bullet skipped along the rib cage or hit the shoulder and did not penetrate. One waterbuck was hardly injured and this is using a 190 grain bullet out of a 300 Win Mag.

Unless desperate I would avoid that shot altogether, with any bullet. But I think the lead alloy bullets are not made for that shot at all. A 375 H&H might just because of shear power.

Hello Enysse,

The .375 H&H / 300 gr old fashioned RNSP will shoot through a waterbuck shoulder bone, like shooting through a stale breadstick.
This is because of the bullet mass combined with moderate velocity (by today's hyper velocity standards).
Even the original 270 gr load, although going slightly faster than the 300 grainer, judging by it's 100 year reputation will likely do the same.
The 270 grainer was, according to H&H advertisements of the day, intended for hunting larger plains game at moderate to long range.

I googled .30 caliber, 190 gr hunting bullets.
All I could find were the Berger brand ones.
They say in their advertisement for it that it is: "the most lethal hunting bullet available" because it is designed to loose 40 to 85% of it's weight !
That's not my idea of a hunting bullet for large African PG.

Also I came up with a .30 / 190 gr bullet in that search from Sierra but they list it as a match bullet and not at all a hunting bullet.

Both of the above are FMJ profile with a relatively tiny hole in the nose.
In another post or posts I have already mentioned that hollow point bullets are not my thing.
Also, I do not have any need for boat tail bullets over the distances I typically shoot critters.
My casual experimenting with them (back in the day) seemed to indicate that they were no more accurate than their flat base counterparts.
If I could not hit something with a flat base bullet, I am real sure it was not because I failed to use a boat tailed one.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Well it's actually Remington's premier boat tail line, discontinued a long time ago. Similiar to the power point in the Winchester line.
Dropped a eland at 10o yds like it was hit by thunder.
Like you said FMJ bullet or TSX, TTSX would have probably would have slowed it down or killed it.

Dog;

I understand monometals have their detractors!

Yes, all reports....I have yet to read about a documented failure of a TTSX. Truly, someone just saying they don't like monometals over cup and core is not a documented failure, wouldn't you agree?

We all know human nature...if a person had a failure with an X bullet, the chance of them trying TTSX are probably slim. The TTSX is a failure in their mind due to association if nothing else. I would probably be inclined to do the same thing myself!

If there is a body of evidence documenting TTSX failures I would love to see it. This is not about love, it is more like science! Data is king! Bring on the data!

Regarding Failsafes, they suffered from the same deficiency as the original X bullet, and to a lesser extent the TSX. The could fail to open, especially when the angle of impact was severe, sometimes at longer range when velocity had fallen off.

I would not be "shocked" (no pun intended!) to see Barnes eventually drop the TSX and go TTSX exclusively. I personally don't see the point of the TSX any longer, and would not use them over a Partition, just due to the possible reliability issue.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Tim

Hi again Tarbe,

Yes, I would agree that someone saying they did not like something with no particular reason stated as to why they didn;t like it would be about worthless.

Personally, I neither like or dislike that product (TTSX) because I have no experience with it.

Simply put, I am only parroting what someone I respect has mentioned to me when the subject of big game rifles/cartridges/projectiles crops up around the fire or at the dinner table.

My roaring success with using calibers appropriate for the size and tenacity of the critters I like to hunt (can afford to hunt), combined with heavy for caliber dreaded cup & core bullets, at moderate velocity (usually blunt shaped ones unless hunting wide open spaces), has kept me from getting too aroused about anything else for my needs.

Someone way smarter than me said: "If it works, don't fix it".

You had said that you:
"have yet to read of a documented failure of a TSX".
"If there is a body of evidence documenting TTSX failures, I'd love to see it".
"Bring on the data".

Prior to you posting those words, I gave you the man's name and email address, plus info that it's hunting season so, be patient and he will get back to you so, at this stage, I'm not sure what to say.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!