Caliber and Weight

Eric, did you mean to say M1 Garand? In the past I've gone into the woods with one of my "National Match" M1 Garand(s) but I generally just sat in a blind with it.
Yes, $:/@$- autocorrect on an iPhone is annoying.

I like a light rifle as much as anyone but, most people will tend to shoot a heavier rifle a little better especially offhand. Most of my rifles are around 8.5 lb ready to go

375H&H 7.5 to 8lb with a forgiving synthetic stock or a very good fitting wooden stock. 416 Rigby 9lb and a forgiving synthetic stock or very good fitting wooden stock.

358RUM 8lb, anything under this then 7lb is OK but find most come in closer to 8lbs.

My .416 Taylor is 10.3 lbs ... my 376H&H is right at 10 lbs...

Most of my other hunting rifles weigh between 7.5-8.5lbs...

Both my "shooters" are Win model 70s. The 7mm Rem mag weighs in at an even 10 lbs fully loaded with scope and sling. The 375HH comes in at an even 11 lbs. Neither are lightweights but the weight mitigates a lot of recoil and they hold steadier. I have my triggers set at about 3 lbs, no slack, no take up. They break like a glass rod.
Newboomer
My Whelen is 9 pounds field ready and my 25 is 8.5 pounds both have triggers at 2.5 pounds. Both fit like a glove and hang nicely.
At my age I do notice the weight at the end of the day but hey that's part of hunting.
Bob

I like by RJ Renner 7x57 at 7 lbs scoped..my 375 Ruger Hawkeye at 7.5 naked, and 8.5 with 3X Leupold...A 404 Jefferys at 9 lbs. I don't care for overly heavy rifles nor extreme fwt guns, middle of the road for me..however there are circumstances wherein things change, such as my 11 pound double rifles and I wouldn't want them t weigh less...It not an open and shut question, common since prevails as a rule..

After several years of humping an M1 Garand, BAR and an M60 a 10 or 11 lb rifle seems like a .22.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg