Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
In that case, I would use my .375 and just make sure I hit him right. Or, were I a man with a Blaser R8 (like - I don't know - you?), I'd bring something like a .300 Win Mag barrel along. :A Way To Go:

I did, and a lot of other people do, take the time to reset the sights for the exact range to the bait when a cat is working it. Easy to do with my rifle and ammunition - can sometimes be tricky with borrowed/rented items - particularly ammunition.

JLF

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Fellow Rifle Enthusiasts,

The .30-30 is essentially a miniature .450/400 NE, aka: .400 Jeffery 3” NE, (appearing pretty close to scale).
Therefore, it seems to me that the .30-30 would be a fine cartridge for hunting smaller African species, such as certain “buck and boar” in thick African bush conditions.

However, the potential sticker in my shoe, just my luck would be that, when I was hunting smallish bush critters with this “light rifle”, I’d encounter a zebra, a waterbuck or an eland.
All that having been said, a trim and classy looking, .30-30 double (or single shot), might be a lot of fun for stalking duiker, warthog, impala, reedbok and similar sized critters in thick riverine forest or jungle environment.

My hair would stand straight up if I was carrying only a .30-30 and I was to encounter a cheeky lion (or grizzly bear).

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
I would see it very interesting to face a lion with a 30-30 .... and more interesting would be the lion ..

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
I have been thinking about taking a 30-30 to Africa too. But just for PG and then mainly the tiny ten so I know it will work as its fine on muntjac in the UK (same family as the tiny ten).
Well you know where to bring it..;)

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
Fellow Rifle Enthusiasts,

The .30-30 is essentially a miniature .450/400 NE, aka: .400 Jeffery 3” NE, (appearing pretty close to scale).
Therefore, it seems to me that the .30-30 would be a fine cartridge for hunting smaller African species, such as certain “buck and boar” in thick African bush conditions.

However, the potential sticker in my shoe, just my luck would be that, when I was hunting smallish bush critters with this “light rifle”, I’d encounter a zebra, a waterbuck or an eland.
All that having been said, a trim and classy looking, .30-30 double (or single shot), might be a lot of fun for stalking duiker, warthog, impala, reedbok and similar sized critters in thick riverine forest or jungle environment.

My hair would stand straight up if I was carrying only a .30-30 and I was to encounter a cheeky lion (or grizzly bear).

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
A "Bergstutzen" combination gun, a .30-30 with a .450-400 on it's side would make it....

A lonesome .30-30 in the african bush is like a little girl, playing out there..... great playground, but never let it alone!!!

;)

HWL

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
if it can bite-chew-claw-stomp me, i would need(not want) a bigger caliber. its not that a 30-30 can,t kill most animals with a well placed shot or two, its just that i prefer those types of animals dead now. the add from savage about a man who killed a tiger with a .22 hi-power comes to mind, for me thats a death wish.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Roger that.

Just so my understanding is correct.
The thin skin doesn't open up a soft nose enough to cause damage.
Combine that with the fact that the relatively thin body and now a soft is essentially a solid.

Assuming a one gun safari with a 375 or 416, what (if anything) would you recommend?
Probably best to just use my PH's 308WIN.
Hello BeeMaa,

I’ve not shot a leopard.
That said, I have shot a fair pile of other critters with the .375 H&H.
And, I have noticed exactly what Red Leg described about the .375, with softs sometimes (not usually but sometimes) failing to expand much if at all in small animals.
That said, I have also noticed that using round nosed softs, instead of pointy spitzers, fixes this problem nicely.
Even when a round nose doesn’t expand much if at all in a small animal, their blunt shape tends to impart enough trauma to put the critter down fast anyway.

Also worth mentioning is that I have experienced more erratic bullet performance from hollow point type bullets than any other.
Therefore, the hollow pointed spitzer is my least favorite hunting bullet and for many years now, I have totally avoided them.

Parting Shot, as it were:
At the end of the day, your chosen PH will doubtless have shot and seen more animals shot than myself and a dozen more like me.
Therefore, I strongly recommend that you consult him or her on all matters, especially your choice of caliber and ammunition for such a dangerous animal as the leopard.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.