Cabelas Safari wear withstand hot iron?

Anyone use the megellan brand fishing shirts from Academy and have issue with them?

Anyone use the megellan brand fishing shirts from Academy and have issue with them?

I’ve had good luck with them. I buy the SS in olive green.

The TAG safari shirts (availabe in Zim and online via Texas) and the Salty (Zim) shirts are cotton and much more breathable than the other options. The older cabelas safari shirts (usually green or tan with the shoulder patch) were iron tough but they were so damned hot. The Orvis Bush Shirts are very durable but also crazy thick.

For comfort, I really like the African made bush shirts as they are cheap and cool. Going another route, the modern merino wool t-shirts in the USA are also the right colors and very cool and low-odor. (first lite, sitka, kuiu, icebreaker)

Another very, very good bush shirt that is highly collectible and no longer made are the Willis & Geiger ones. You can find them on ebay. Some days they are $35, other days they go for $300. They were the world's finest, good enough for Edmond Hillary and Ernest Hemmingway.

Postscript: to answer your question about hot irons, ALL of these can take a hot iron in Africa without damage.
Can you get those Salty shirts in the US or are they only available in Africa (Zim or SA)?

If you are concerned, try an iron on them before you leave.
That just makes too much sense. Why they put instructions on shampoo bottles. I must say, the pygmies on the equator ruined all of the tags on my shirts...therapy is supposed to end by Memorial Day.

I wouldn't worry so much about the laundry service; It's the thorns on every blade of grass, every shrub, tree branch that'll cut those absolutely wonderful slits, tears and holes in your perfectly laundered garb!!! LMAO If it's worth that much to you, perhaps you could pay for a "bush blocker" in addition to gun bearer and tracker?? Safari ($10K+). Shirt ($50-100?) LOL You could elect to leave the shirt back at camp if it means that much to you?

My absolute favorite shirt is one torn to shreds in Zimbabwe. It's certifiably better now!

On a side note, what about "bed bugs" in the average accommodations? Sleep in your permethrin treated hunting clothes or spray the bed sheets?
i much prefer to use it as mouthwash. never a bug problem in African winter (N. Hemisphere Summer) when most safaris occur. more bedbugs in cabin country just N. of NYC than anywhere in the world, and you can thank the Bloomberg's and Spitzer's of that communist state!!!

What if a button should pop off that over-priced shirt? Does your PH have a repair kit on-hand? You should ask!!

I have two long sleeve and three short sleeve Cabela’s shirts. They’ve held up to ironing. Two do have small thorn tears in them. They have maintained their color thru washings.

'had a Cabela's polar-weight fleece turtleneck/l. sleeve shirt that I got when i was 16. I still have it today (nearly 4 decades later) and it works perfectly. I've brought it to Africa, but never got to put it on in the snows of Kilamonjaro (and thus it was never tested to the bush iron.) for the most part, camp staff know what they can and cannot do to your clothing (others have suffered bad things in the past, to preserve your stuff today.) Do not go gently into that good day and pressed shirt. If you're worried, just wear it wrinkly the whole time and iron it yourself at home, if it concerns you that much. ;) Call Jim Shockey and ask how his sponsor would handle his fine washables! :p

Hah! :) They will wash and press everything, no matter what it is! Using old solid iron irons heated on charcoal. Some of the hardest working and most under appreciated staff in those camps do the laundry along with keeping fires going, heating water for showers if needed, doing nighttime guard duty and the like.

I don't have the Serengeti per se but do have several Cabelas shirts going back a ways. The two heaviest 100% cotton Cabelas I have are marked differently but are 100% cotton and nearly identical in every way. One is simply marked Cabelas made in China. The other of similar weight and quality is marked Cabelas Stonewash Canvas Legendary Quality since 1961 made in Macao. I also have one that is very good quality but is obviously a cotton-poly blend that is marked Cabelas Safari Legendary Quality Since 1961 made in China.

A few year ago I stumbled upon, online or in some catalog?, a brand I'd never heard of but decided to try as the good Cabelas clothing was drying up. It's 100% cotton canvas and is marked Moose Creek Est 1961 The Legendary Outdoor Clothing Company made in Cambodia. Those have been pretty good and very similar to the Cabelas heavy cotton canvas of the past.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConsueloSu

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.