Buying a game farm Again

But 40 acres in parts of West, South, East, or North TX (more than enough to qualify as a "ranch" in TX if properly zoned and stocked) would be affordable for most, could be huntable
What is estimated investment required for this size of ranch?

@Serbian Hunter
Kaze: "Rasiri se koliko ti je dug jorgan"... ili "kratak jorgan - duga noc"...

In any case, big investment in game farm in some African country, is very risky enterprise.
And, of all the countries, Namibia would be most promising, as it looks from my perspective.

Having shared same thought, my personal view is, that following such a dream, a smaller investment would be more prudent - buying a small property in rural area, and enjoy hunting and sightseeng as local, and not getting involved in safari business, at first.
Developping a profitable (large) ranch business will take a lifetime of one generation at least, and buying a well run ranch will be extremely high investement, with high risks involved.

Exactly!

No easy way sorry. But Like I mentioned if you go with a large reputeable outfit you could help them expand.

Nope....yes if you are going to pump in serious amount of money and hope that the next tenders you get the area back....or you are providing more money for bidding in next round of tenders...end of lease thsts it...only assets are movable equipment.....as i said simplest way if someone is serious is to buy shares in an existing game ranch /reserve....as long as you have a good trusting relationship with the operator...who hopefully has his/her self interest working as well....

I don't know how anyone is recommending Texas, because there is NO WAY to buy land in Texas and be profitable from that land alone. You need large outside income to have your ranch in Texas. OP said, "positive experience from somebody who was brave and determined enough to replace office, concrete, boss and safety with farming at “last best place”?

He is trying to make a living with this plan, and you are not doing that with 600 acres in Texas for 4+ mill.

One of the reasons I left Texas was because it was obvious with land prices, that even though Obama and Biden say, "You are rich!" there is still no way I can afford a Ranch in Texas. And growing up there, hunting there, I would love almost nothing more, but short of a lottery win(and I do not but tickets, lol) it won't be in the cards.

I am not saying Africa has the answer either, but do not move to Texas to be a farmer/rancher(unless you have passive income or inheritance.)

It all depends where in Texas you want to buy a ranch. If you are taking about the Texas Hill Country near a city you are correct. It’s really sheep and goat country and not cattle. You can make land near Fredericksburg work, if it’s flat, relatively rock free by planting grapes. There is still some reasonable Hill Country land in the far western portion. The eastern and southern portion of the Hill Country near San Antonio and Austin, not a chance. My neighborhood runs around 100k an acre. If you want to ranch cattle, South Texas and the Coastal Inland still has reasonable areas. You just have to worry about being high fenced out if you have a small property.

Ranching is a hard business, that’s why I lease out grazing and not running my own cattle and gives me an Ag Property Tax rate.

do not buy in south africa. too many readins to list. Namibia only allows non-citizens a 49% ownership share so you are putting all of that equity at risk.

I don't know how anyone is recommending Texas, because there is NO WAY to buy land in Texas and be profitable from that land alone. You need large outside income to have your ranch in Texas. OP said, "positive experience from somebody who was brave and determined enough to replace office, concrete, boss and safety with farming at “last best place”?

He is trying to make a living with this plan, and you are not doing that with 600 acres in Texas for 4+ mill.

One of the reasons I left Texas was because it was obvious with land prices, that even though Obama and Biden say, "You are rich!" there is still no way I can afford a Ranch in Texas. And growing up there, hunting there, I would love almost nothing more, but short of a lottery win(and I do not but tickets, lol) it won't be in the cards.

I am not saying Africa has the answer either, but do not move to Texas to be a farmer/rancher(unless you have passive income or inheritance.)
@VonJager I respectfully disagree with you. I purchased my first ranch in 1993, developed it into a game ranch and when I had it running at full capacity my annual Return on Investment was nearly 20%. The example property I referenced in the thread is close to Austin which drives prices to a level where the properties are for recreational use rather than working ranches. There are still areas in Texas where the land prices are at a level that once developed into a game farm and ran properly will provide adequate income for debt service.

Scratching my head here. Boomers are the last large chunk of hunters, hunter numbers are about to fall off a cliff, not kidding myself, the anti-s are winning and we're talking about investing in game farming?
Probably better off at the track playing the superfecta. Like my ol' man used to say, " delusions of grandeur".

Last edited:
Bee county $188k USD, Coastal Inland

Atascosa County $325k, South Texas , near San Antonio

Yep...

and can be even cheaper depending on where you want to go..

There's a 46 acre "ranch" in Edwards County thats listed for $160K right now.. Its been listed for a while.. Im betting the owner would take less than $150K for it (roughly $3260 an acre).. Its nice rolling hills, mostly wooded.. and they claim to have dove, turkey, whitetail, hogs, and a few exotics running around..

Theres a 77 acres "ranch" in Callahan County thats listed for $199K right now.. like the other one, I bet it will sell for a little less than that.. I'd guess $185K will buy it.. Thats $2400 an acre.. Its got a creek running through the middle of the property.. and its not far off of I20 (easy to get there)..

Theres also a 193 acre "ranch) in Edwards County (not far from the 46 acre ranch above) thats listed at $364K.. Thats $1890 an acre..

Theres still quite a bit of land in TX available at reasonable prices.. That is totally suitable for hunting, potentially raising a few exotics, etc.. and maybe making a little bit of income off of by leasing out grazing rights or letting another hunter put up a stand/feeder combo, etc..

I dont think anyone is going to make a living off of a 40-200 acre plot anywhere in Texas as a rancher or farmer.. but if the goal is to simply own a "ranch", have a place to go hunt whenever you like, and have a "hobby" ranch where you raise a few head of cattle or sheep, etc.. or have a handful of exotics running around.. that is still very much an option here for most people in the "middle class" or better off..

What ever you decide I wish you well. Trust me, if you do invest in Africa many heartaches are coming your way. 49% ownership really means you own nothing! I fought hard to keep all that I owned from falling into the hands of the "Zim 51%ers". Even owning 100% in Africa means very little. I own a nice house in Bulawayo which we have had for sale for quite some time. We will only sell for cash! I have had so many offers of "we will pay you so much down (usually about 50%) and we will pay you the rest within 3 to 6 months, no occupancy, hah! The day you sign the papers, even a $1.00 deposit the buyer will take possession and that is the last payment that they will ever make.

I strongly recommend you own 100% or nothing and still there are no guarantees.

Texas.... years ago land was much more available and much less costly and game ranches were an interesting pass time. High fences weren’t the norm. You could buy a little land in the Hill Country and hunt white tails until you ran out of bullets or tags, which ever came first. Flash forward to now and it’s insane. It seems the high fences run on for miles, everyone and their brother is involved in game ranching operations, the smaller places are gone, people being scammed by some of the highest property taxes you can find in Texas. You’ll find very few places that offer day hunts, plenty of high end package hunts for just about any animal you can think of. The skies the limit.
Land prices have sky rocketed in the last few years. What sold in 1998 for 2000.00 an acre now sells for $16,999.00 an acre. If you aren’t AG exempt you’ll go broke paying ridiculous property taxes. Exotic livestock auctions are standing room only and you better have deep deep pockets because your bidding against everyone else that’s in the business. If you buy an existing game ranch if you aren’t supplementing the hunting operation with goats, sheep, or both, you’ll go broke in a heart beat. Feed and diesel ain’t getting any cheaper and February’s storm “URI” took its toll on a lot of the spiral horn breeds along with Nilgai. It’s a tough business to be getting into at the present time.

Remember also that water is the most important thing to have on a ranch. Drilling Wells is crazy high at more than $12.00 a foot, and that’s a two year old price, and the Hill country has some really deep Wells and they are very weak. Add to that the person with the biggest pump wins. The other thing is electricity running to the property is expensive or you can use solar but it’ll still cost you. Keep in mind the cheaper the land, the less infrastructure is on it or available.

And if everyone of us bought 1000 Bitcoin each 10 years ago we would have been spending time hunting and not on the forum. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber