TOBY458

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
@Red Leg
Your statement is very sensible . A Gaur weighs about 1360 kilograms , while a really large African Cape buffalo weighs 770 kilograms ( or less ) . I prefer 500 grain solids for Gaur but when I used them on water buffalo in Australia , I was getting complete pass throughs ( which is risky , for obvious reasons ) . Therefore , I always use controlled expansion soft points for water buffalo . For the reasons that you noted , it is also what I will use on African Cape Buffalo in 2022 . I am partial to hand loaded 500 grain Rhino Solid Shanks ( which are solid only in name , but are actually designed to expand ) .
What velocity are you able to achieve in the 458 WM?

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
What velocity are you able to achieve in the 458 WM?
@TOBY458
With the 500 grain Rhino Solid Shank hand loads , I was able to achieve a velocity of 2093 feet per second . Perfectly adequate for broadside shots on Australian water buffalo , especially double lung shots . When hunting Gaur , I only use Hornady factory loaded 500 grain DGS meplat nosed steel jacketed solids which have an advertised velocity of 2140 fps ( feet per second ) . Actual velocity is 2133-2137 fps , which is perfectly adequate for all dangerous game . My .458 WM uses a 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel . Do you use IMR 3031 ?

Last edited:

TOBY458

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
@TOBY458
With the 500 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed hand loads , I was able to achieve a velocity of 2093 feet per second . My .458 WM uses a 25 inch Douglas Premium barrel . Do you use IMR 3031 ?
I haven't loaded for my 458 in awhile, but if I recall correctly, I used H335 for best velocities in this round. The Swift manual shows 2116 fps with their 500 gr A Frame bullet, from a 24" barrel. The last bullets I loaded for my 458 WM were 450 gr Barnes TSX. That gets the velocity up to 2250 or so, and I've read that these bullets perform very well on Buffalo, although I've never hunted Buffalo with a 458. I did however use Barnes 300 gr TSX in my 375 H&H to shoot three water buffalo and one Cape Buffalo. My loads were running 2450 FPS on the three water buffalo, and 2540 FPS on the Cape Buffalo. At 2450 FPS they killed the water buffalo very quickly and penetration was excellent. Expansion was excellent in some cases, and only acceptable in others. (Each buffalo was shot 3-4 times). I don't think any additional shots were needed, I just prefer to keep banging away until the buffalo goes down, if possible.
As for the Cape Buffalo, I made a very steep angling shot as the buff turned to run away and only hit one lung. We tracked the buffalo for over 5 miles before catching up to him. Bullet performance seemed fine on the one lung that was hit, however I never found the bullet to see how it expanded, as it ended up somewhere in the brisket and the skinners never recovered it.
I also shot a Cape Buffalo with a 416 Rem Mag. Using 400gr Swift A Frames at 2325 FPS. One frontal shot took out the heart and ended up in the rear of the buffalo, perfectly expanded.
I think for my future buffalo hunts, I will probably end up using Swift A Frame bullets simply due to the fact that they don't require high velocities in order to expand as required, and seem to perform perfectly at the 2150-2500 fps that most DG calibers achieve.

Foxi

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
Premium grade expanding bullets are the best option for buffalo, not solids of any design...
I politely disagree.
There are good reasons for the solid.
Especially if you have to shoot far or thick cover.
If a solid comes across, there is a deep hole in it, but this is not the case with an expanding bullet.
Almost all the old buffalos I have seen were found in dense stuff, so I prefer a solid.
The pieces we needed for the kitchen I shot all with solids.
Only good experiences with them.
And I wouldn't have got one buffalo without solid.
A bullet in the leg doesn't get any better with an expanding bullet.
Ive always both with me.

In principle I do what the PH wants, because I don't want that he is shooting also,if i do not follow his rules.
But there are not so less who prefer a solid for single pieces.
A war of faith, unfortunately too early for beer and chips :)
Foxi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeLear

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.