Bullet selection

On a similar note I am going on safari for lion and plains game in SA. I used my .375 H&H with 300 grain Barnes bullets in Zim last year for cape Buffalo and plains game. Thinking of using the same gun with 235 grain bullets to flatten out the longer shots.

I also have a .300 Win mag I could use 180 grain bullets in. When you look at ballistics there is about an inch difference in drop at 300 yards.

Thoughts?

I would stick with the 300gr bullets on that lion although I'd guess the 235 would do fine.

As to whether to use the .375 with 235's or the .300 Win with 180's....pick em. Or do as I did last year and take both, never a bad thing to have a back up rifle.

I will say this though for the .375, it just flat out hits harder than the .300. You can see it in the animal's reaction.

On a similar note I am going on safari for lion and plains game in SA. I used my .375 H&H with 300 grain Barnes bullets in Zim last year for cape Buffalo and plains game. Thinking of using the same gun with 235 grain bullets to flatten out the longer shots.

I also have a .300 Win mag I could use 180 grain bullets in. When you look at ballistics there is about an inch difference in drop at 300 yards.

Thoughts?

Hello Ridge Top Ranch,

First off, I applaud your interest in possibly using the .375 H&H for lion.
According to History, that one is a fine lion getter.

Having only seen a couple of lions in the wild in my life and never having shot one, my opinion is to be taken with a healthy dose of salt.
However, from discussing this very topic with people who have shot a lion or lions, as well as my having read much on the subject, I would choose the following for same in the .375 H&H:
300 grain Woodleigh Weldcore (old fashioned RNSP but that the soft lead core is soldered or in some industrial adhesive way, bonded to the guilding metal jacket).

If however, I was planning to use the .375 for PG (which I have done with huge satisfaction), perhaps the 270 grain bullet might be a better choice for long shots at same, and still be plenty of bullet weight for lion up close (where most lions are taken).
PHs in Africa generally do not want clients shooting lions at extended ranges for that all important first shot.

My personal experience with shooting in general (this is a category I have pretty much wasted my lifetime on), it has become very clear to me that given the same caliber, bullet weight and velocity, round nose bullets shoot pretty much to the same point of aim out to around 300 yds as pointed ones do.

Furthermore, it might just be my imagination but, blunt shaped bullets seem to hit harder (the more distinct impact sound they make over a pointed one is one possible indicator) and it seems to me they generally track straighter through flesh and bone than do pointy bullets.
Likewise, it seems to me that animals I have shot with blunt shaped bullets seem to tip over sooner than later.

Again, my opinion on lion hunting equipment should be taken with salt but, if you ask your PH what he or she suggests for lion, you will be on the right track.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I would think either the 458 Win or Lott with that 400gr A-Frame would be big medicine on a moose, bear or bison.

It surely does not seem to be going out of style with the large bore fans up here.
I have to add that I have had three .45-70s, one .458 Lott (still have it) and I think four .458 Winchesters.**
My memory ain't what it used to be but pretty sure it comes to four** counting the SxS Heym that I currently own.
That one is the only .458 Winchester that I still have these days.
For Alaska and many parts of Canada, the .400 gr bullet makes perfect sense to me (wild elephants, hippo and rhino are hard to find here since the last ice age).
Out.

I'm taking Federal Premium 165 and 180 grain TBT, 30-06.
(My rifle groups the 165gn better than the 180 - so I wanted the option with me.)
If I can get a couple bullets recovered, I'll let you know how they performed.

I have been and always will be a fan of Remington Core Lokt (seems they have had some issues with them in Africa, in the past) because the outfitters don't like them, for whatever reason. That being said, like Brick says, lower your bullet weight to 180. I would recommend the Remington Safari ammo for you Rifle. I have only shot them in a 8mm Rem Mag but they are awesome, Swift A frame I believe.

I would have to see it personally, that being, a Core Lokt bullet fail to kill a plains game animal in Africa. I hunted with federal (silver box) ammo when I was there, though I had great success, I still would have preferred the Remmies.

Last edited:
I have been and always will be a fan of Remington Core Lokt (seems they have had some issues with them in Africa, in the past) because the outfitters don't like them, for whatever reason. That being said, like Brick says, lower your bullet weight to 180. I would recommend the Remington Safari ammo for you Rifle. I have only shot them in a 8mm Rem Mag but they are awesome, Swift A frame I believe.

I would have to see it personally, that being, a Core Lokt bullet fail to kill a plains game animal in Africa. I hunted with federal (silver box) ammo when I was there, though I had great success, I still would have preferred the Remmies.

35bore,

No doubt you can appreciate the following.

One of my hunting companions shot very dead the largest Cape eland bull I have ever seen with his .35 Whelen and a factory Core-Lokt, 250 gr bullet / factory live ammunition, green & yellow box.

The PH did not have a scale hefty enough to weigh it but he recons it was several hundred pounds heavier than the buffalo in my avatar (about 1400 pounds and both shot during the same 3 week safari).

So the eland probably weighed around 2,000 to 2,100 pounds.

As a small side note, back before the wheel was invented, I lived in California, and there I had very good luck with Core-Lokt bullets on feral hogs.

It is my opinion that if you use an appropriate caliber for the game hunted AND appropriate bullet weight for the game hunted that, the old fashioned cup & core bullets still work very well at the old fashioned velocities.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I have used the Barnes 165 gr. TSX, in both .30-06 and .300 Weatherby. Performance is predictable and effective.
Most bullets have exited, but have never lost a head of game using this bullet. Highly recommend them!

This is always such a big debate…

I am a firm believer that you need to use the grain that matches your barrel twist. Most 30-06 rifles are 180gr so try stick to the grain that matches your twist and then a use a bullet that works for you.

I use the Nosler 180gr Ballistic Tips and they have not failed me yet: http://www.nosler.com/ballistic-tip-bullet/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!