AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
I'm looking at making a buffalo target for a local shooting range. I'm planning on using AR500 steel and something similar to this picture (it still needs work), the thin white lines along the jaw-line and horn-line would be thin cuts in the steel to differentiate the head. To get the proportions correct, I'm looking for information on how wide a buffalo is ear-tip to ear-tip and how wide on the outside of the horns a buffalo like this would be? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Buff3 copy.jpg

In my experience buff ear to ear is roughly 36"...used as a guide to judge horn width when possible.

If going according to the books you will work with roughly 33" ears and 36" spread on the pic

Thank you for the input. I'm hoping to make the target realistic in size so that whatever distance or position it's shot from the feedback is accurate.

Thank you for the input. I'm hoping to make the target realistic in size so that whatever distance or position it's shot from the feedback is accurate.
Buffalo are usually shot at close range. Are you concerned about ricochet?

I like the project you are doing, it is a great idea. To my eye the proportions of your target are a bit off, the head is too big / the chest too small. Just an opinion, you may want to measure several photographs for correct ratios. Why not just paint the lines that you have indicated will be thin cuts? The target will last longer, especially with buffalo-suitable bullets fired at it. It's not difficult to touch up the paint lines when they become too smudged.

Hang your steel on chains so it can swing. It will eliminate ricochet. The bullets willl fragment and cut a groove in the ground below the target

Well, if you’re making good shots at 50 or 100yds anything closer should be fine for accuracy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg