Brumby Hunting

I have spent far too much time in France to pass up horse meat.

This is just another problem caused by our throwaway culture. If you cannot take care of a horse, you do not deserve to own a horse. They release them into the environment and then pretend like they belong as they destroy the ecosystem.

Not really but for dog food.
Flesh is very. Very red[/QUOTE
@Dr Ray
I think you need to expand your taste buds Doc it's actually not bad nor is camel,goanna and some other stuff. I draw the line at mutton birds and ardvark tho they are disgusting.
Bob

I’ve eaten mutton birds - very greasy

Haven’t tried camel or horse (yet). I just couldn’t bring myself to eat a horse.
Ok it’s a mental thing I know.

bob,
i thought you were old enough to have feasted on do do meat.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Do do was even worse than mutton birds. Mate we had Kentucky fried teradactil and brontosauras t bones
Mate these Mexicans think they've got big bbqs ya should have seen the size of ours to do 2 brontosauras t bones. Mate made the texican bbq looked like a fly swatter..
I remember standing by the Colorado river with mum and dad and saying this is going to be a big deal one day. And it is. I think the sporter were standing is now part o f the grand canyon.
I forgot Bruce you are older than me tho. Do you remember when they discovered fire I'm a bit young for that one mate.
We are a mad pair of old bastards tho.
Bob

something to do with being down under.
(or is that up over)
however you look at it we are in the top 1/2 of the world, and europe and north america are down the bottom 1/2.
only trouble with that argument is that it puts tazzie and melbourne at the top of oz!
bruce.

Another grey stallion to add to the tally today, took the 500 on her maiden voyage. I saw 4 different grey stallions today, only managed to get one on the ground though the wind wasn't cooperating!

upload_2020-7-2_19-44-5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Commercial horse meat in Europe is delicious.

. I wonder if there were efficient killing and processing these horses could be sold commercially? Get a couple of Australian chefs to put it on menus and it might take off like Lionfish in Florida. Maybe Attica?

I think they have looked at remote processing of Camel for export previously. Portable aboitor or truck mounted that sort of thing but I don’t think it’s viable.

I don’t think we will take to eating horse readily.

Then there is live export another contentious issue.

If you could catch them, a certain number are processed for dog food I believe at Peterborough South Australia, or at least we’re. Off to the Knackery then the hooves to the glue factory I think that was their fate.

Might be a couple of Old Blokes here that know a bit more history.

I’ve eaten mutton birds - very greasy

Haven’t tried camel or horse (yet). I just couldn’t bring myself to eat a horse.
Ok it’s a mental thing I know.

My mother said they used horses milk and ate horses during WWII, up at Glass house Mountains, but that was pretty much 'Dad and Dave' type country in those days :)

Apparently the milk was pretty good .

Regards
Rob

My mother said they used horses milk and ate horses during WWII, up at Glass house Mountains, but that was pretty much 'Dad and Dave' type country in those days :)

Apparently the milk was pretty good .

Regards
Rob

Wow

I haven’t had an opportunity to try horse, but I would guess that it isn’t much different than zebra? To my way of thinking, all species (especially invasive ones) should be managed to maintain a balanced ecosystem. Pests are pests regardless of how cute or cuddly they might look!

Germans eat horse. Mongolians have it as a cornerstone of their diet. We just gave this romance towards horses and feelings trump reason. Sadly, this then leads to suffering and mistreatment because you can’t sell old horses for meat and thus it’s cheaper to turn them out, let them suffer, and avoid costs to care for them.

There'e a good sized horse packing plant at Fort McLeod Alberta. I believe the meat is shipped to the Europe an countries who appreciate horse meat.

I never feel bad driving by and seeing all those horses standing in the pens. I wish there a few more feral ones being slaughtered.

if we could get the japs interested in horse and camel meat the could then stop killing whales.
bruce.
If we tell them it cures impotence we can save a whole bunch of rhino's too...

if we could get the japs interested in horse and camel meat the could then stop killing whales.
bruce.

Minke whale are pretty abundant, able to be sustainably harvested and readily available in countries that eat whale. It is surprisingly tasty.

I accidentally ate blue whale once when I was unable to translate the entire name of the dish. Thought it was minke when I ordered it. If it were ethical to eat the big whales I’d have a hard time turning it down. Delicious.

Germans eat horse. Mongolians have it as a cornerstone of their diet. We just gave this romance towards horses and feelings trump reason. Sadly, this then leads to suffering and mistreatment because you can’t sell old horses for meat and thus it’s cheaper to turn them out, let them suffer, and avoid costs to care for them.
You must hang around a different set of Germans! ;) So we are horse people - or more precisely my daughter is - I write checks. :( You need to check out the kill pens online. Truly derelict animals end up in Mexico and Canada. Those with value are sold (usually for too much to bleeding hearts who think they are saving them from Canada or Mexico - subject for another day). I can't speak for Australia, but I don't know anywhere in this country where horses are simply turned out.

Last edited:
You must hang around a different set of Germans! ;) So we are horse people - or more precisely my daughter is - I write checks. :( You need to check out the kill pens online. Truly derelict animals end up in Mexico and Canada. Those with value are sold (usually for too much to bleeding hearts who think they are saving them from Canada or Mexico - subject for another day). I can't speak for Australia, but I don't know anywhere in this country where horses are simply turned out.

I Saw a lot of them in the Oklahoma Panhandle. Guymon, Texhoma, Boise City, Then down to Amarillo, and to Lubbock. Only other place I’ve seen this is in Wyoming around Medicine Bow. Sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.