Broadhead for Eland

archer36

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have an Eland on my list. I plan on using a Crossbow generating 140 lbs of KE. I plan on using 150 gr Slick Trick broadheads.
Your thoughts?

Post your trophy picture

Post your trophy picture
This sums it up.

Your set up has a lot more energy than the 70 lb bow with 125 Slick Trick Magnums I use. And I have no doubt mine would perform well and drop an eland.

How long are the arrows?

That's enough juice and good equipment, just make sure you stay toward the crease as Eland have very heavy shoulder/legbones. Drift too far forward could make for a long day or two or three. I found the lungs on a Eland extend back further than other African animals or maybe it's just they are so large, there is a bigger target. Also be mindful of being too low and back, which would be below the lungs.

That will kill him dead and he won't go far probably die in sight

You've got enough equipment setup to kill an eland. They are big, but thin skinned.

I killed mine with a 62# compound bow and Woodsman Elite BH.

Like Brickburn said "Post the pictures "

Its 2021, stop using old methods. Buy a rifle, and have something that will penetrate or kill cleanly. Bows are just cruel.
Have you hunted with a bow? Seems like a response from someone without archery hunting experience.
Which makes me wonder what is the most humane rifle caliber?

Its 2021, stop using old methods. Buy a rifle, and have something that will penetrate or kill cleanly. Bows are just cruel.
Old method? Like using a rifle? That method has been around for a few hundred years now. Sounds old to me, yet proven. Just like archery equipment.

He is using a weapon that will penetrate and kill cleanly and quickly. He is merely confirming his particular weapon set up will work for this species. No different than someone asking if a particular cartridge and bullet will work effectively on that eland.

I shot through a eland bull and cut off entry and exit ribs with #63 bowtech Assassin.

You're kidding right??

I guess I used 1 arrow with my bow set up and my Cape buffalo went 45 yds and expired. Another guy in camp used a 375 and needed 2 backup shots on his. Right equipment and shot placement goes along way with archery.

Viral_SIGness​

Looks like your hunting knowledge doesn’t match your Bronze Supporter.
I would say you were just bored in April 2020 in VA and wanted to check something out you could buy your way into.
Glad you are supporting AH!

Guys, I have killed over a 100 Deer with Archery equipment but never an Eland. Thus the question. Thanks.

Guys, I have killed over a 100 Deer with Archery equipment but never an Eland. Thus the question. Thanks.
How far do you shoot maximum on deer with the bow ?

How far do you shoot maximum on deer with the bow ?
With my Crossbow I have shot deer out to 60 yds under ideal conditions. Have not tried it since. Most deer are taken at an average of 25 yds. Personally, I think about 50 yds is max range because the animal can move a lot in the time it takes an arrow to reach the animal out to 70+ yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhakhoa123

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,