Brno ZKK-602 in 458 win mag new to me and some questions regarding it...

Interesting also that he harps on the safety being on the wrong side for a right hander, in the case of the "BRUNO" and the Mark X. I dont get that. A right hander wants his safety where it can be used with the shooting hand, not the off hand. Where would it be better placed? Odd...
I have 1 rifle with the safety on the opposite side. It's only a .22 lr so very small action. Once you get used to it is actually quite effective. Right under your thumb as the rifle comes up.
That said it's the only one I've ever seen.
20201130_050450.jpeg

My thumb would not reach that without shifting my grip, which isnt required when its on the tang or the right side.

I would strongly advice to rechamber to .458 Lott, not because there is something wrong with .458Win. but the trouble is that the cartridges slam around in that cavernous magazine. On mine the 5th round detonated in the magazine when I fired round 4..the primer touched a small dent in the rear of the magazine...bullet went up and broke the (solid steel) mag. follower, cracked the stock and bent the magazine...luckily no harm done to me.. I have heard of similar episodes so not unique to me..

But otherwise splendid rifles....I have one in .375H&H and the former is becoming a .500 Jeffery..

View attachment 376659
Than God for crossbolts or the action might have given you a craniotomy.

I have 1 rifle with the safety on the opposite side. It's only a .22 lr so very small action. Once you get used to it is actually quite effective. Right under your thumb as the rifle comes up.
That said it's the only one I've ever seen. View attachment 377563
Also Brno 21/22 rifles have safety on the LH side of the shroud. My thumb seems to be right there when getting ready to fire so it seems to make sense to me to have safety in that location. But it's all about fit and muscle memory. Shooting many different setups, makes me forget which is which sometimes and makes for interesting times. I immediately want to sell everything but one design so that does not happen, LOL.

Hello all, this is my first post to the board. I have a many brnos, bolt and doubles alike. My first rifle ever was a 603 in 375HH. I have converted a 458 602 to a lott many years ago. I had a smith ream out the chamber and then I filed out the feed rails. Now it will feed upside down, right side up, sideways you name it. Its a bit of work and must be done slowly and patiently. Unless you have a trusted smith to do it I would just keep it a WM. With the new powders there is really nothing a WM can't do that a lott could do that much better. Cheers

This is my BRNO ZKK 602,m bought originally in Germany in 1970 as a .375 H&H and converted to .500 Jeffery by Lon Paul, with the addition of a CZ 550 stock and a Winchester Model 70 type safety.
It is a real pleasure to shoot and the objectionable features of the original Weatherby type stock have been eliminated.

Lon Paul .500 Jeffery 002 (2).jpg
Lon Paul .500 Jeffery 005.jpg

I would strongly advice to rechamber to .458 Lott, not because there is something wrong with .458Win. but the trouble is that the cartridges slam around in that cavernous magazine. On mine the 5th round detonated in the magazine when I fired round 4..the primer touched a small dent in the rear of the magazine...bullet went up and broke the (solid steel) mag. follower, cracked the stock and bent the magazine...luckily no harm done to me.. I have heard of similar episodes so not unique to me..

But otherwise splendid rifles....I have one in .375H&H and the former is becoming a .500 Jeffery..

View attachment 376659
That is properly scary!

I share the same sentiments as @Pondoro , even though the .458 Winchester Magnum is my favorite calibre of all time ( I have personally been using one for Problem Animal Control work , since 1977 ) and the BRNO ZKK - 602 is one of the most robust rifles ever to be built . Here are two extremely accurate articles , which highlight the negative aspects of chambering the .458 Winchester Magnum in a BRNO ZKK - 602 action ( a Magnum length action ) .

View attachment 377456View attachment 377457
View attachment 377458View attachment 377459
If you prefer to keep your BRNO ZKK - 602 as a .458 Winchester Magnum , then I would highly advise you to have a spacer fitted in your rifle .
Excellent article. I have a ZKK602 in .458WM. Personally, I find it unwieldy and do not like the way the rounds rattle about in the mag. .458s built on standard length actions with barrels cut to about 23"are a pleasure to use. The one advantage that the 602/550 actions offer is that you can long load the rounds to approximately equal Lott performance, but in my view conversion to Lott (or Rigby) is a better option with these rifles. After all, the space is there so one might as well use it. Definitely also shorten barrel to around 23"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg