BRNO 602 Action Screw Torque?

photog1812

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
I have recently purchased a 1983 vintage BRNO 602 in .375 H&H. I disassembled it to inspect the barrel and that part of the action that is hidden for any signs of rust (none were there, thankfully). I now need some help here with the torque settings for the three screws - the two action screws and then the barrel screw. I don't want to under torque these as the stock has no cross bolts through the stock, but over torquing the screws, especially the barrel screw, could be equally bad.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.

I have recently purchased a 1983 vintage BRNO 602 in .375 H&H. I disassembled it to inspect the barrel and that part of the action that is hidden for any signs of rust (none were there, thankfully). I now need some help here with the torque settings for the three screws - the two action screws and then the barrel screw. I don't want to under torque these as the stock has no cross bolts through the stock, but over torquing the screws, especially the barrel screw, could be equally bad.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Torque Specifications for Gunsmiths
By Eric Kiesler

Most of us here in the Tech Department at Brownells recall the days on the bench when not many people cared to know what the torque specifications for the bolts on their rifles were. Traditionally, mechanics and some armorers concerned themselves with torque specs, but not the gunsmith. Times are changing; it’s hard to say whether this has been caused by a crossover from other industries, or just an increase in the general knowledge of the shooter. One of my many mentors, Chief George Thacker always used to say, “The gunsmith is a Jack of all trades!” I think he’s correct now more than ever.

When I refer to torque specs for the gunsmith, fundamentally what we are talking about is applying preload to a fastener, or tightening a bolt. On the surface this might seem to be a simple enough proposition; however there are a number of variables to consider. When one properly torques a fastener, this “preload” results in a stretched bolt. The tension caused by this stress is the force that holds the joint together and for a firearm it is usually a shear force that will be testing the strength of the fastened joint. Generally, a torque wrench is used to gauge the amount of torque applied to a fastener, or the amount of elongation of the fastener may also be measured to gauge torque. In instances where the gunsmith is torquing a fastener to resist shear loads, (i.e. scope mounting) measuring fastener elongation would be the most accurate method for determining proper torque. A torque wrench is a very convenient tool (we have lots of torque wrenches: Adjustable (#018-000-001), (#792-000-001), and Fixed (#792-000-002). However, they are not capable of factoring in the inevitable friction encountered when torquing; this results in inaccuracy.

The friction encountered varies depending on the surface finish of the fastener and the threaded hole it is going into. The number of times the fastener has previously been torqued, and the likeness of the external and internal threads are also factors to consider. Additionally, the number of threads of engagement, material composition, as well as the amount and type of lubrication all need to be considered. As you can imagine, it’s virtually impossible to compute for these variables. This may worry some, but only on the rarest of occasions are the scope mounting screws subjected to forces that might test their holding ability. I have not done the math, but when you combine heavy recoiling cartridges with the current breed of scopes with large objective lenses and night vision optics, the 6 x 48 screws are being tested, but not severely. There are some lengthy algebraic equations you could use to figure how much force the particular scope/ring combination on a rifle of a given cartridge (ft lbs of recoil) will generate. I will not be going into that, it is the sort of thing that a scope mount designer not the gunsmith should have to worry about. For those who wish to delve into Zen and The Art of Torquing, I recommend the Machinist’s Handbook (#435-001-010).

Typically, a fastener required to resist shear loads will the smallest possible for the job by design. The preload applied to this fastener result in friction forces greater than the shear force the joint will be subjected to. Perhaps the simplest way to determine the torque spec of a given fastener is to (using a torque wrench) determine the strength of the fastener (get the screw to crack/fracture) than torque it to 50%-60% of its fracture strength. This will likely be more than enough holding power for any firearms application.

Many shooters want to be able to torque the action screws on their rifles. In this instance, we are not applying torque in order to resist shear. If you have a birch wood stock and 1 x 28 threaded guard screws, you would splinter the stock long before you have reached the “correct” preload for that fastener. While a scope mount screw with a torx head may be able to withstand the application of the maximum preload for a fastener of its size and composition, a slotted headed fastener identical in all other ways would not be able to withstand the same amount of preload since the slotted head would deform.

The main purpose for having a torque specification on an action screw is to offer the end user (who may not have the technical expertise or opportunity to verify that the action is properly seated in its stock) some sort of reference for the sake of expediency. If you consider the myriad of torque specs offered by the major firearms manufacturers this becomes obvious. Presently, Remington’ website is offering a spec of “no more than 45 in/lbs” on the action screws of the 700 VS and 10-15 in/lbs on the standard 700. In the past we have garnered guard screw specs from Weatherby (65 in/lbs), Winchester (25 in/lbs), and HS Precision (45 in/lbs). I expect that all of these specifications are potentially subject to change when production changes are made during any retooling or redesign. It has always been my opinion that having a consistent torque on the action screws is more important than the number of foot lbs.

We recently obtained some ring and base screw specs from Leupold: base screws 14 in/lbs, ring screws, 15-17 in/lbs, and 45 in/lbs on the windage screw, 65 in/lbs on the cross bolt for the Mk IV ring. Previously, they told us that base screws with 6 or more threads of engagement would require 22 in/lbs, 6 or less 12 in/lbs.

For the gunsmith a torque specification is more of a guideline than a rule.

Let’s consider the 15-17 in/lb specification offered by Leupold for their ring. Currently they’re using 8 x 40 torx head screws, applying 15-17 in/lbs would not cause the fastener to stretch and impart preload to the joint; but it will likely hold the scope tight enough to keep it from slipping and not damage the tube. However, if the front and/or rear ring was made out of spec, or if the height of the scope bases do not concur, or you are using an off brand scope, you may need to impart more torque to the ring screws to get them to hold the scope properly.

There are plenty of standardization organizations out there (ANSI, ISO, ASTM, and SAE) to help. We don’t currently have membership and are unable to offer any of their information, but it is generally the fastener manufacturer who will be able to tell you what certification their product has. For large automotive fasteners this is rarely a problem, the small screws gunsmiths see are rarely designated like this. Generally, the screws contained within our screw kits are made of 1038 steel and match SAE grade 8 specifications; and I recommend the traditional German Torque Specification: Gooduntight!

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with any of us here in the GunTech department either by phone or by email at guntech@Brownells.com.

Attachments

• zkk_600-601-602.pdf
    7 MB · Views: 3,831
Last edited:
I have attached the owner's manual for the ZKK range of rifles for you.

I own 4 rifles with ZKK actions. Sanity should prevail and over tightening should be avoided. Tight is tight.

You could measure the size of the screws and then get the maximum recommended torque settings but I would rather just tighten them by feel.

Hope this helps.

take the barrel screw and throw it in the weeds

take the barrel screw and throw it in the weeds

:eek: not on a ZKK 602! Just don't overtighten it. It is a 375 H&H after all not a benchrest gun.

I had some work done on my Cz 550, that I no longer own, it was fairly accurate. When I got it back from the gunsmith, me and a local smith did some bedding, floating the barrel and got rid of the barrel screw, it shot lights out after that. Can someone tell me why they have a barrel screw?

I might be misinformed but is a ZKK the same and CZ 550?

I had some work done on my Cz 550, that I no longer own, it was fairly accurate. When I got it back from the gunsmith, me and a local smith did some bedding, floating the barrel and got rid of the barrel screw, it shot lights out after that. Can someone tell me why they have a barrel screw?

I might be misinformed but is a ZKK the same and CZ 550?

Although both were manufactured by CZ, they are not the same thing.

The Brno ZKK-600 series is now discontinued and is now replaced by the CZ 550 series. The basic mechanism in both rifle are almost similar(certain parts can be interchanged from one to the other).

The safety on the ZKK 600 range is forward for safe and then pulled back for fire(as if cocking hammers on a hammer gun. On the CZ 550 range it works the other way around.

Older Brno's at one point had a flip up peep-sight in the rear receiver, these are the most sought after models, especially by experienced hunters.

If you read about the ZKK 600 series in the book "Bolt Action Rifles, by Frank de Haas and Dr. Wayne van Zwoll", you will find all the info you need regarding the superb ZKK 600 series.

I quote from that-

"Besides the two guard screws, there is a forend screw to help hold the barrel and action in the stock. The screw threads into a stud fitted in a groove in the enlarged portion of the barrel which forms the rear sight base.
The ZKK 602 has an addition recoil lug machined into this enlarged portion of the barrel. The groove for the forend stud is milled lengthwise with the barrel, and the stud is made to be a loose fit in it. Thus on tightening this screw, the stud moves to the precise location of the screw. It might also move in the groove as the barrel heats up from firing or if the forend should shift through changes in moisture or weather. While I think it is a good idea to have forend screws in magnum calibers, I don't see much use for it in other rifles; but if a screw is used, I think the method Brno employes in the ZKK is the best I have seen."

So there we have it from somebody much more knowledgable than me on the subject.

So for the ZKK 602 in 375 H&H, which is not a benchrest rifle, leave it as it is as Brno knew what they were doing when they fitted this forend screw assembly and it works in the big calibers.

I would't try and fix it if it ain't broke.

That makes sense, I re read the original post and he also didn't have crossbolt's, that would make me more inclined to leave the front screw in. I fully understand your point of view," I would't try and fix it if it ain't broke". Here in the states we have way to much time and resource's(available parts and gunsmiths) to not try and fix something that doesn't work as well as we think it could. The 602 and the CZ are surely both a great weapon, modified or not.

You can bin the barrel screw if you like, it is not required at all!! I have a 602 which I rebarreled to .404 about 10 years ago. I never fitted one and have not had any stock problems at all. It's really a bit of overkill. I think after 10 years and a couple of thousand rounds if anything was going to happen it would of by now. Some may say it's required, but from my personal experience it's not. Do keep the action screws tight, specific torque setting is not too much to be worried about, just don't be ham fisted or limp wristed.

Eric,
What you wrote about torque is really through, but you forgot one major factor "lubrication". Depending on the lube (fe PTFE) used friction will be reduced to half resulting in half the torque needed to achieve the same load in the fastener. All torque values are set for dry connections.

Yet another important factor is relaxation of the bolt. Most of the stock are made from wood a "living" material that expands and shrinks due to moist resulting in a firmer or looser connection . This is often solved using inserts in the wood or using synthetic materials or beddings. To optimize torque/load a second tightening should be done after a while.

Frank

The safety on the ZKK 600 range is forward for safe and then pulled back for fire(as if cocking hammers on a hammer gun. On the CZ 550 range it works the other way around.
Yet the pdf you posted seems to show the positions reversed. First time I have seen that in references to ZKK. Unless I read it wrong...needless to say, I'm pretty sure the "forward to fire" safety came with the 550 model.
I would't try and fix it if it ain't broke.
I agree with that. I left it in on my 30-06 and never had an issue. But I also removed the barrel stud from my 602. And then I had it glass bedded for good measure. It shot well under 1 MOA in .375H&H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross