Bringing the New 470NE Double Rifle on Line

I got to use the 470NE at the DSC Big Bore Shoot. It performed flawlessly. I did not perform very well. So @WFet and I went to the gun range and spent some time being slow then smooth and then smooth and fast.

So ya'll coach me up.(y)

Well you asked, so here goes with one observation. Please understand I have done this too and have caught myself, so don't think this is coming from someone who think he's a pro.

But what I saw with both you and Wyatt was the gun moving fairly significantly as you pulled the trigger on the already spent round. This indicates to me that you're anticipating the recoil and flinching a bit......again I've done the same.

There can be no doubt that a .470 may not be the kicker a .500 or .577 is, but it's not to be taken lightly. So I'd be working on doing everything you can to minimize the recoil through learning better technique.

I like to pull in hard with my off hand while pushing somewhat forward with my trigger hand. Also I have no qualms using a sissy pad on my shoulder. Past that you it's a bit of a mental game. I know it's going to kick hard and I'm limited in the number of shots I'm going to take in a range session. But I also have to remember that it's not going to kill me either.

But what I saw with both you and Wyatt was the gun moving fairly significantly as you pulled the trigger on the already spent round. This indicates to me that you're anticipating the recoil and flinching a bit......again I've done the same.

Yes, I agree. I would like to attribute it to having to think about what I was doing. We practiced this several times. In fact I dry fired this course 3 or 4 times before the last shot sequence I showed in the video. As the mechanics got smoother I think the flinch went away. I do use a evo shield when shooting the rifle. It helps a great deal. Thanks for help!

My humbly submitted opinion is that both of you need to spend some serious amounts of time doing "ball and dummy" drills. You both have a good case of the yips!

Have a partner load the weapon for you so that you don't know if there is a live round or not in either chamber. That flinch will show itself just like when you forgot to switch triggers.

If it helps any, I saw the same thing in one of Mr. Charlton's videos. Hunter went up to place an insurance shot in and elephant and pulled with safety on or empty chamber, can't remember which. He was prepping for the recoil and no doubt primed on adrenaline and the muzzle dropped a good three inches.

Best of luck and that is a beautiful piece that you have!

For all of you who contributed to this thread thank you for helping. The video below is to show how well done you provided your instructions.

For all of you who contributed to this thread thank you for helping. The video below is to show how well done you provided your instructions.

Well done, shot looked to be right on the shoulder of that old warrior!

Beautiful double! I am 3 years ahead of you with the same situation. I hope you enjoy all the practice and load testing as much as I have. We’ve been to Zim with the double twice already. I’m completely hooked. All my other rifles are complaining that they need more attention! Lmao!

Enjoy!

I know it's going to kick hard and I'm limited in the number of shots I'm going to take in a range session.

It only kicks hard in practice. In the game you don't feel it. Thanks for your help on this project.

Well done, shot looked to be right on the shoulder of that old warrior!

The lesson here is how important the first shot is to the success of the hunt. I did hit the buffalo with the second shot but it just grazed the top part of his shoulder. The next goal is to improve the lethality of the second shot.

I’m completely hooked.

It is easily the heaviest rifle I own but it was a joy to carry it afield. Now it is consideration for being used on a bear hunt in Alaska for next fall. :whistle:(y)

Reactions: JSD
Be careful dry firing any double. It is very easy to damage a spring or firing pin. .470 snap caps are very easy to find on line and the spring loaded “primers” provide resistance like a normal round (a problem with using fired cases).

Well done sir!

What ammunition were you using?

I'll be heading out next week to the border of the KNP hoping to find an old warrior like yours, and then again in late September in upper Lupande.
I'm still in two minds about using either the 500grn Barnes Vor-TX or the African PH Woodleigh SP's.

Nicely done!

I would love to come across an old bugger like that in two weeks!

Well done sir!

What ammunition were you using?

I'll be heading out next week to the border of the KNP hoping to find an old warrior like yours, and then again in late September in upper Lupande.
I'm still in two minds about using either the 500grn Barnes Vor-TX or the African PH Woodleigh SP's.

I used the Woodleighs. The rifle was regulated with Norma PH ammunition. I got Lance Hindershot to custom load it for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 8.25.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 8.25.44 AM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 8.25.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 8.25.50 AM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 96
Be careful dry firing any double. It is very easy to damage a spring or firing pin. .470 snap caps are very easy to find on line and the spring loaded “primers” provide resistance like a normal round (a problem with using fired cases).

... and now you tell me. This must be an LSU conspiracy. :whistle::sneaky:(y)

Geaux Tigers!!! But watch that dry firing a double. ;)

Beautiful double ! The .470 NE Double was the Double rifle used by ALL White Hunters in the 1950s to 1970s , when Kynoch had just discontinued all their Centre fire cartridge calibers , because there were other firms still making .470 NE ammo , as it was a non proprietary cartridge . It is a classic African Caliber. The only double rifle l ever fired in my life was a .470 NE Rigby belonging to my Friend in Australia. He uses Kynoch factory loaded ammunition for his , but has been trying some Federal out lately .
Two Properly placed shoulder shots can usually dispose of most buffalo swiftly .

I used the Woodleighs. The rifle was regulated with Norma PH ammunition. I got Lance Hindershot to custom load it for me.

Thanks Jfet.
I'm fortunate that my rifle regulates with the factory Norma ammunition & I like the expansion of the Woodleighs.

did you recover your bullet?

did you recover your bullet?

No, this was an "own use bull." We took the whole buffalo to the village and they skinned and processed the meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg