AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA (WI,MS,LA,CO) CANADA (MB)
I have been reading...

So it is legal to bring a semi-auto rifle to Namibia but almost all flights go through South Africa. If everything goes smoothly you catch your transfers and your rifle goes through to Namibia with no problems. That works.

Here is my question, If I were to get an unexpected layover and have to collect my baggage in South Africa, I would have my rifle impounded indefinitely?

Has anyone else traveled to Namibia with a semi-auto before? Any suggestions?

Have done the Namibia trip and strongly recommend the layover in Frankfurt rather than doing the transit drill in J'burg. We flew over night from Washington Dulles to Frankfurt; spent the day in Frankfurt; and then took the over night flight from Frankfurt to Windhoek on Namibia Air. We were relatively rested when we arrived, service on Namibia Air was excellent, and the customs drill at Windhoek couldn't be simpler.

husb0023,

The Namibian law pertaining to bringing in semi-automatic rifle is questionable even though the Namibia Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA) stipulates that:

- Fully automatic weapons (e.g. AK 47 and other military hardware) are prohibited.
- Other self-loading, considered semi-automatic weapons are not prohibited, but you can expect questions at the airport of importation.

The fact that NAPHA points out that "you can expect questions at the airport of importation" does not bring confidence as to what constitute a semi-automatic weapon that can or cannot be temporarily imported into Namibia.

It is true that Namibia, as well as customs officials are very friendly when it comes to temporary firearm importation into the country, though there is always the possibility that you may not be allowed to import a specific rifle...

Anyway, I would recommend you to contact your hunting outfitter or PH in Namibia, providing him with the type, make and model of your rifle, to get a written confirmation from him that you can temporarily import that specific firearm that you want to take with you to Namibia... before considering traveling with it.

Should you have the go ahead from your Namibian hunting outfitter to bring with you your semi-automatic rifle you should know:

- Going through South Africa:
In the event that your airline company will not transfer your baggage and/or firearms and ammunition to your connecting airline, then you will have to collect your baggage and/or firearms and ammunition and go through the entire South African clearing process, and in this case you must know that all South African firearms and ammunition laws, legal limitations and requirements will apply even if you are not staying or hunting in their country.

No automatic, semi-automatic, lever action or slide action firearms are allowed. A semi-automatic shotgun for hunting purposes may be allowed if an application is made and granted through the Central Firearms Register at least 21 days prior to your arrival.

Since South Africa does not permit semi-automatic weapon in or through their country, so you would run the risk to have your firearm and ammunition confiscated and returned to you upon your departure to your country of residence. Basically, I believe that firearm and ammunition would be confiscated and impounded, you might get fined and charged for the impound, until such time that you come back through South Africa on your way back to your country of residence. I do not believe that your rifle would be impounded indefinitely, though anyone can correct me on that.

- Going through Germany:
As Red Leg mentioned, Germany might well be the better option for you if you intend on traveling with a semi-automatic rifle to Namibia. The German weapon law for non EU members in transit through Germany does not mention anything regarding semi-automatic weapons being prohibited however it stipulated that the laws and regulations of the third states (in this case Namibia) must be observed... So your decision there would be based on what your hunting outfitter advise you to do, I would assume.

Click here to read more on Importation or Transiting Procedures Through Countries with Weapons & Ammunition.

Thankyou for the information guys... I really appreciate it.
After looking at the options I believe that flying through Germany would be the right choice for me. It is a shame that we cannot fly through the UK with firearms of any sort. The difference of price is around $400.
I will make sure and confirm that I can import my semi-auto with my outfitter/PH. My rifle is rather sentimental to me and a family heirloom so I would hate to see anything happen with it.
Again, thanks for the replies.

A lot of my client's over the past few years were using semi-automatic rifles.
Nearly all of it were Browning. I think that if your gun look like a hunting rifle, the Namibian officials will be OK with it. If it look like a assault rifle, you will have a lot of questions to be answered, but I don't think that anybody will be that stupid !!

Right, I will be bringing a Browning BAR with engravings and wood stock. The model with the 3 round clip built in.

I have been in the booking, hunt consulting business for going on 50 years and I would highly recommend that you not take a semi auto rifle out of the USA in todays world. Why risk ruining an expensive trip or asking for trouble and that is what you will encounter.

Thankyou Ray, I have been coming around to your way of thinking. If I were to lose my rifle by bureaucracy I would be a sad man. I think I will just buy myself a nice bolt for usage outside of my home country.
It means a lot for me to kill animals with the family rifle... but to risk losing it is not acceptable.
Again I appreciate all the comments, I am by no means an international hunter and everyone's experience is a great tool for me.

Had a friend who took a Remington Model 8 to Namibia about two years ago. No problems whatsoever. He traveled through Frankfort.

I have been in the booking, hunt consulting business for going on 50 years and I would highly recommend that you not take a semi auto rifle out of the USA in todays world. Why risk ruining an expensive trip or asking for trouble and that is what you will encounter.

Ray's response have my vote.
If it is a family heirloom with sentiments attached, i would not take the chance...Murphy's law is still around.

Thankyou for the information guys... I really appreciate it.
After looking at the options I believe that flying through Germany would be the right choice for me. It is a shame that we cannot fly through the UK with firearms of any sort. The difference of price is around $400.
I will make sure and confirm that I can import my semi-auto with my outfitter/PH. My rifle is rather sentimental to me and a family heirloom so I would hate to see anything happen with it.
Again, thanks for the replies.

as long as you transiting through heathrow on the same airline, or using two different ones with a code share you can travel through the uk with firearms. the security company, G4S i think, collects the firearms from the incoming flight and stores them, and then loads them onto your next flight. the baggage handlers dont have anything to do with it these days. ba charge approx $160.00 for each gun case not per firearm , this is to cover the security company charges. on this routing you would still have to go via joburgh as air namibia pulled their direct route from uk to windhoek, and their only one is from germany. quite a few people transit through heathrow from other european countries when going hunting as they use ba.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg