Bowhunt in SA in August. . . A Few Questions/Concerns

bctlaw

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
So my trip I never thought I'd get is finally coming together. It all started after getting drunk at the NWTF banquet. My wife let me have the final say at the auction, and 10 days with Steyn safaris was mine. They have been more than accommodating in helping me schedule the trip around the birth of my first child, and other of life's miscellaneous interruptions.

I have no interest in shooting anything with a rifle, but I'm concerned that there will be pressure to do so. Every time I tell the US contact I'm a bowhunter (which he assures me is OK), he says I really should bring a gun just in case. I have fired a total of 20 rounds through a rifle in the last 10 years, and truthfully have no business shooting at living creatures!

I want to shoot a bunch of things: Nyala, Kudu, Gemsbok and Zebra are all on my list, and I've budgeted so I can take them all. But I want to do it with my bow. It might not happen. Any tips on how to ensure that no one is disappointed ?

Ben

Well just stick to yours guns or bow in this case and go hunting.They may pressure you to hunt with a gun because they make more when animals are taken.Hunting with a bow it just may happen you dont end up with all on your list and you must decide if that is ok with you or not.I think they deal with alot of people who start with bow but change there mind when they can not seal the deal.Bow hunting will be hader and I think there just covering all the bases just in case you decide you want the animal in the end either way.I would bet you will have a chance if needed to rent a gun if when there if you change your mind.good luck

My reply is bring a bow, if you are will to accept the challenges that come with archery hunting. Unless they have a property specifically for bowhunting the game is going to be alert and more likely to jump the string. I would personally bring a gun and hunt at a place that is set up for only bow hunting only next time or combine trips with some one that is really bowhunting friendly this trip and split your species list between companies. There are some people on AH that have hunted at Steyn and they will have a lot more insight into your question. I'm not sure I'd trust a US Contact...unless he or she gives you a list of people that have bow hunted with the outfitter.

Glad you are paying attention and glad you are asking questions.

Bill and E are giving you some good pointers.

First, silly boy for getting drunk and bidding. :)
Do not be disappointed if they can not produce for a bow hunter though. This one may be on you for purchase while imbibing!
I hope they try their best to help you hunt the way you want, most do.

Your list of species have all been taken with a bow, so it is possible to hunt with a bow and get them.
Now location of those hunts I don't know. may not be where you purchased a hunt.

To speculate:
You are already going and they sound concerned that you will not be successful.
This may be out of concern for your success or self concern. No idea for sure.
(Hunters go all the way to Africa to get trophies, for the most part, and see Africa.)
If not, everyone would just use a camera. :)

Outfitters make more money on a "Day Rate Hunt" if you shoot more trophies.
However, if the hunt is "a package" you bought at auction that could be different. Can't tell by your post if you just bought days!

For instance: If the outfitter does not have to refund you any money from the package for failure to obtain/harvest/kill trophies then there should be no pressure. He has his money.
If the outfitter discounted the hunt (for donation purposes) hoping you would kill a list of trophies as long as your arm, then there will be some more pressure to kill trophies.
They may need you to take 8 trophies to break even, as a gross example.

The pressure might also come from the fact that they do not typically do bow hunts.
They are tougher, can require more work (when done properly) and success of harvest is way lower.

If you don't hunt with a rifle don't take one.
At worst borrow/rent one the theirs (assuming they have one).

If you absolutely have to use a rifle do not take shots that you are not comfortable with, no matter what. Wounding an animal costs just as much as taking them home!

Questions before the drunken bid, given your firearms aversion:

Any pictures of bow kills?
Do they have Bow Hides?
How many hides do they have?
Do they hunt at Water?
Do they hunt bait/food?
Do they Bow Hunt themselves?
Will they do spot and stalk with a bow?
Is there a section of the property or a whole property that is restricted to Bow hunting only?
Are you the only guy in the area when you are hunting?

Good luck.

From a fellow bowhunter...rest assured, you will see lots of animals at the waterholes in August. You have selected a great time to be bowhunting Africa.

That being said, I would ask if they have hides setup or different properties for bowhunters. If not, ask them to setup some pop-ups at water prior to your arrival.

You will have a great trip....shooting your bow. If you have any questions, need a packing list, or want to pay for a fellow bowhunter to go along please feel free to PM me anytime.

Tom, "Pop ups" are a great idea.
Hope they have no Rhino or Elephants on the property!

Ask about that too, Ben!

..... If not, ask them to setup some pop-ups at water prior to your arrival. .....

bctlaw, I hope you have a great time on your safari from a fellow stick flicker.

Tom hit the nail on the head. If they are not already set-up with permanent "hides" within 30 yards of a couple different water holes, ask them to set up some blinds and brush them in at least 1 week before your arrival. Ask them to put them in slightly different locations to take advantage of different wind conditions.

It may sound like a lot to ask, but the worst they can say is no.

I don't claim to be an expert on archery hunting Africa, but I have been there with a stick and string once and I love to talk about it, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck! Can't wait to read your report.

nd

Others have been giving you very good advices.

I just want to add one thing and my opinion:)
Bring a full leaf suit(or guillie) with mask and glows.
That way you still can be able to set up at likely places and wait for animals even if there is no blind there already.

I plan to go to SA for 10-12 hunting days next year. And will focus on using a bow. I will also bring a gun and I will see if I will use that on my last days or not.
All depending on how the hunting with the bow goes.

But I am an eager gun hunter as well, so to accept defeat with my bow on some species and take my gun instead is ok by me:)

But there are some animals I never will consider to shoot with a gun at all, but really want with a bow:)

If you have the same feeling for using a gun when hunting as I have towards shooting from a vehicle, then don't even consider bringing a gun.
I would rather come home totally without any trophies at all than to shoot one from a car.

Don't let others push you to use a gun if you really don't want that. But you must accept that you might not be able to get all the animals you want or get smaller trophies then.
If that is totally ok for you, bring your bow only.

Enjoy your hunting:)

Thank you all for the tips. I am going with Abie Steyn. Their main camp is very near Krueger, and I like the idea of doing that before the hunt begins. Thanks for that tip.

I'm not going to bring a gun. I'm not averse to it like shooting from a car, but just don't enjoy it as much. Since I won't be bringing a gun, should I pack my own popup and a treestand? I think I can get them both in a duffle that would qualify for a second checked bag. Steyn does advertise bowhunts, but it doesn't appear to be his specialty.

My thing is this: I know he will only make money off of my trophy fees since he donated the hunt. If I have a great hunt where I come home empty-handed (which I've had many), I'm certainly not going to leave him empty handed. I just don't know the best way to relay this information.

In any event, like all men, I think I'm the sneakiest, smartest, greatest hunter that ever lived ;). I'll get my critters, so really its a non-issue, right! Thanks for all of your advice.

Ben

Ben,

Believe me...he will put you on animals. His livelihood depends on it. Africa is not like here. You will see game and have opportunities. You will shoot more than you think.

I would rather come home totally without any trophies at all than to shoot one from a car.

+1
and....If you are hunting with a PH/Outfitter that insists you shoot from the truck, you are hunting with the WRONG PH/Outfitter.
Make it crystal clear, upfront that is not your cup of tea.

Ty

I'm not going to bring a gun. I'm not averse to it like shooting from a car, but just don't enjoy it as much. Since I won't be bringing a gun, should I pack my own popup and a treestand? I think I can get them both in a duffle that would qualify for a second checked bag. Steyn does advertise bowhunts, but it doesn't appear to be his specialty.

Ben

You should ask him how many blinds and elevated stands he has in place or are available.
No need to bring lots of your own things if there are plenty there already.

Bow Hunting in South Africa

So my trip I never thought I'd get is finally coming together. It all started after getting drunk at the NWTF banquet. My wife let me have the final say at the auction, and 10 days with Steyn safaris was mine. They have been more than accommodating in helping me schedule the trip around the birth of my first child, and other of life's miscellaneous interruptions.

I have no interest in shooting anything with a rifle, but I'm concerned that there will be pressure to do so. Every time I tell the US contact I'm a bowhunter (which he assures me is OK), he says I really should bring a gun just in case. I have fired a total of 20 rounds through a rifle in the last 10 years, and truthfully have no business shooting at living creatures!

I want to shoot a bunch of things: Nyala, Kudu, Gemsbok and Zebra are all on my list, and I've budgeted so I can take them all. But I want to do it with my bow. It might not happen. Any tips on how to ensure that no one is disappointed ?

Ben

Hi Ben,
There should be no need to take your own rifle to South Africa, all of the animals on your list have been shot comfortably with a bow
and if neccessary the PH should have a rifle with him if you are to walk and stalk. Most bow hunting farms have blinds
set up for bow hunters. I have attached a few pic's for you on bow hunts done in South Africa. Pic on example of hides as well. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1814_Pienaarshpf%20jagfotos%20003%20-%20Copy.jpg
    1814_Pienaarshpf%20jagfotos%20003%20-%20Copy.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG-20120211-00330.jpg
    IMG-20120211-00330.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 126
  • Sean.JPG
    Sean.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2634_Jagfotos%202010%20076%20-%20Copy.jpg
    2634_Jagfotos%202010%20076%20-%20Copy.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Andrew.JPG
    Andrew.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 51_hide5.jpg
    51_hide5.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 123
Maybe it would have been easier just to book with a Bowhunting ONLY Outfit, seeing that that you are a 'die hard' bow hunter.I, personaly, will never book\buy a bowhunt from a majority rifle hunting camp\farm\outfitter.

Lammie,

I see your point but I think this was an auction hunt that he happened to end up the successful bidder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg