Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
In England the hunting of any animal with a bow is illegal and as such I have not had the chance to shoot one, be it at an animal or target.

However, I would really like to give it ago the next time I'm in Africa. I understand that just picking up a bow and shooting it at an animal is not a good idea without practice but do you think it would be possible to spend a morning using the outfitters bow on a target and then giving it a go in the afternoon?

I would imagine that sitting in a blind would probably be the best way to ensure a suitable shot at a reasonable distance. Do you think this is something an outfitter would accommodate or I am just dreaming?

I'd suggest if you were staying a week and shot a lot of targets every day that at the end of the week you could go sit in a blind and try it.
An ethical Outfitter will assess your skill and only let you try if you are good enough.

Getting a bow to fit you properly would be the biggest issue.

All you can do is ask and then try it.

Good luck.

If you are going to try to do this I would make sure you use a bow set up to use a release. The bow should be a compound bow for you starting with. The bow will probably be pulling in the range of 60 to 70 pounds, 30 kilos? Would not be a bad idea that you do some weight exercise with a pulley machine or rubber bands pulling back the weight the way a bow is drawn. With a compound bow you will only be holding 6 kilos or so. Much better that a non compound bow that you will be holding the whole weight.
Most of your shots out of a blind will be 20 meters or less should be a go.
Tom

I will not recommend that you borrow a bow from a outfitter and try to shoot an animal a few days later if you have no practice from shooting a proper bow earlier.
First of all need the bow to be properly fitted for you with the correct draw length and a draw weight you can use without problems at all.

If the outfitter has a Diamond Infinite Edge bow, it is very easy to adjust the bow to have the right draw length for you as long as yours is not more than 30" and a draw weight that you can handle well as it has a wide range of adjustability in draw length and draw weight.
I also highly recommend that you use a release.
If you then practice with that bow for 1-3 hours every day for 5-7 days and feel totally confident about making a good shot at the distance needed, then it can be done.
Most likely you should keep your shots at an animal inside 20 meters and inside 15 meters would be even better.

Thank you for all your input gentlemen.

It is something I would be interested to try with a suitable amount of practice. I would not attempt to do it if I was not competent enough to kill an animal cleanly after practice.

A draw of 60-70 pounds would not be an issue I would have thought, I train every day either aerobically or strength and conditioning.

A draw of 60-70 pounds would not be an issue I would have thought, I train every day either aerobically or strength and conditioning.

Maybe and maybe not :)
A friend of mine that is in better shape and stronger than me have no chance to pull my 80 lbs bow properly at all.
The muscles used to properly draw and hold a bow at full draw for some time are usually muscles most people don't use much.
The good thing with that is that you can strengthen the muscles rather quickly by drawing a bow.

Not recommended. Today's bows are better at getting beginners on target, but it still takes time. And Practice and more practice to become proficient enough to make an ethical shot on game.

If you then practice with that bow for 1-3 hours every day for 5-7 days and feel totally confident about making a good shot at the distance needed, then it can be done.
Most likely you should keep your shots at an animal inside 20 meters and inside 15 meters would be even better.

Bow's are not quite like rifles and do require practice or your lose proficiency quite quickly.

It is a whole new muscle group for sure.

Forty # bow and a close range shot from a hide.

Fit will certainly be the biggest issue. Maybe you'll have a natural talent and pick it up right away. Some do, others not so much.

Thanks for all the input.

I will, if possible, try it on targets while out there and see how I get on. Its not something I will insist on trying and risk a wounded animal but I will give it my best shot on the range and see how I progress.

What always concerned me with bow hunting was the huge margin for error on wounding game.
Proficiency can be obtained, it takes effort.

Nothing wrong with giving it a whirl and seeing how much your arm hurts when you lock your elbow and let it go.
Ouch!
135519100.dMMajyyC.jpg

Bow hunting takes a lot of practice and then more practice and when you think you are good practice some more . It is a very romantic idea you have to pick up a bow and go hunting .... but it is not realistic . Join a club , shoot field , 3D and targets ... I'm sure England has events and clubs .
Glen

UKHunter
By the picture you look like an active person that has been around a gym or weight room.
By the picture that Brickburn just showed you your front arm should be bent out when shooting. I have hit up by where a watch band would be but never in the back of my elbow? Not sure how tall you are but you should be able to pull the bow all the way back not have the front arm straight. Here is what a group of 5 should look like from 60 yards. :)
image.jpg

Fit will certainly be the biggest issue. Maybe you'll have a natural talent and pick it up right away. Some do, others not so much.

As you say.
To get a bow that fits well is the biggest issue by far.
It is also true that some have a natural talent when it comes to shooting a bow and get rather good rather quickly.

There has been a Norwegian made television series about 2 Norwegian twin sisters that went to US to hunt and for the first time to hunt with bows as well(they had been hunting with guns in Norway for many years).
One of the girls picked up the bow shooting very quickly and became a decent shot very quickly.
The other sister. Not so much :)

And I agree with G Skinner.
UKHunter should find a bow club and do some practice there.
And better still, buy a inexpensive but decent hunting bow to practice with and bring with him for the hunt in Africa if he feels proficient enough to cleanly kill animals with it.

I appreciate all of your input thus far.

I might have to do some research into good starter bows... this could be the start of another variety to an already expensive hobby!

I appreciate all of your input thus far.

I might have to do some research into good starter bows... this could be the start of another variety to an already expensive hobby!

You don't know the half of that truth. Bow Hunting is an addiction on top of an addiction.

UKHunter
By the picture you look like an active person that has been around a gym or weight room.
By the picture that Brickburn just showed you your front arm should be bent out when shooting. I have hit up by where a watch band would be but never in the back of my elbow? Not sure how tall you are but you should be able to pull the bow all the way back not have the front arm straight. Here is what a group of 5 should look like from 60 yards. :)View attachment 41534

ive also been hit right at the wrist! not so much getting slapped on the forearm now a days. here is a group at 30 yards.
group_zpsnqoxlwzg.jpg

Attachments

• group_zpsnqoxlwzg.jpg
    group_zpsnqoxlwzg.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 139
Well I don't know where we are going. I have shot 300 BHFS with 52 x's at 20 yards and the only time I ever used an arm guard back in the 80's. Here is a mark on my arm that has been there since then.
image.jpg

So! Wish I hard the money to hunt a lion:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg