Bow hunt Africa

Actually Stretch, I threw the other 11 shots a little high and just outside the twelve rings to keep the Mathews shooter thinking he was still in the chase. If I throttle him too badly, he picks up his bow and goes home. It is fun taking what little money he has left...

Someday, maybe around an elk hunt campfire, I'll share a Mathews verse PSE bow story/encounter I had while hunting in New Zealand. I turned an arrogant man from Toronto, Canada bright red from embarrassment, and I had the land/lodge owner darn near wetting his pants with laughter. It's a good story! Yeah, as I reflect, "you can tell a Mathews shooter by what hanging on the wall."

With complete seriousness, the major bow companies all make great bows! I truly believe a person should give each and every bow a try! A person should find the bow with the best fit-one that gives the shooter utmost confidence! Without confidence (and a positive attitude), an archer might as well stay home!

When you get a chance, I would love to hear about your DIY moose hunts in Ontario.

Mudslinger, that's an interesting product I have never seen. Thanks for sharing it with us? I want to go check it out...

Packsy, my younger sister is about your size. Her draw length is closer to 26 inches, though. She uses her 52 pound bow to hammer all kinds of big game animals. On a recent trip to Africa, she shot several plains game species with her bow. I'd say, set 50 as your goal-give yourself a mark to shoot for. If you are able go beyond 50 pounds, then all the better. Who knows, maybe we'll have your arms shaped like Popeye's in no time!

Bjorn, If I ever need a hand being pulled across a crevasse, I'll know who to call!

iamyourhuckleberry- I am in total agreement with your thoughts on bow manufactures. There are many good ones. I have personally owned Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bear, Jennings, Oneida eagle and a custom Brackenbury recurve.The advancements in technology today has really narrowed the gap in quality. I'm not sure there is a bad bow out there today. You hit the nail on the head. Without confidence your just flinging arrows. Sure is a lot of fun talking trash though. You obviously shoot very well. I am not sure I would want to shoot against you. You would likely take what little money I have left.:)

I have been very fortunate to have hunted moose many times in Ontario Canada. For many years my friends and I have had access to bull tags threw a resort owner. Non-resident/alien moose tags are limited, only available through resort owners or outfitters. We only paid for the tags and his cabin. We then went scouting, calling, hunting on our own. That deal fell through so we currently moose hunt through an outfitter that provides us with the tags and tent camp in the bush. He provides a map of the area then it's up to you after that. This a DIY hunt except for the accommodation (tent camp) which is required in Ontario. If your interested contact: Dwayne Bolen at thousandlakesoutposts.com. I will personally vouch for him and his area. I uploaded a couple more moose photo's to my profile for your viewing pleasure. If you want to talk more about moose PM me.

Stretch, do not buy a RIP Shot yet. Give me your mailing address and I will send mine to you to try. Both you and Pasky can try it, it is very easy to use and to set up for either of you. Let me know if you want to try it and i will send you mine to experiment with.

Doug

mudslinger - Yesterday I called the local pro-shop that was listed on Rip Shot dealer finder. I found out our local pro-shop has them in stock. They are more than willing to let Packsy try one out. Interestedly enough he also made the comment that they carry the PSE stiletto that she can try also. I asked him for his opinion and experiences with the Rip Shot. He didn't think that the Rip Shot would allow her to shoot a heavier bow but it does force use of proper back muscles. He thought the real advantage was for someone with hand/wrist injury or someone that has problems with punching the release. Packsy has none of these issues. She just lacks strength due to past health problems. We are going to go to his shop try it anyhow just to see if it would offer any advantage to her. Thanks for the great offer to use yours. That is very nice that you would do that for us. I appreciate that.

I am very excited to bow hunt in Africa

Packsy

Enjoy the excitement of your upcoming safari as well as the planning process since it is a huge part of your safari!

Hi Packsy
Have a wonderful trip. Listen to your PH. Practise as much as you can and carefully study shot placement. It is vital for Bow hunting success!!
If your PH is a bow hunter too you will be good hands.

I plan to study the shot placement photos and videos a lot before we go.
I will definitely listen to my PH, and I believe he is a bow hunter. Stretch and I will be in the hide together, so I will have him to help me as well. He knows what kind of advise I need and when he needs to be quiet (we learned that lesson on our ram hunt).
I am taking my camera and extra sd cards. I also plan to have a digital camcorder with extra sd cards. I am saving up my money to buy a nice one that I have found on amazon.com. I want to start taping our hunts to share with others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.