Bovine Slam?

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
Naughty hereford. I remember living next to a farm paddock containing a few sheep and a young stallion. The stallion took a liking to killing the sheep so one morning the farmer arrived at the gate in his landrover, poked a .303 out the passenger side window and prosecuted the stallion on the spot!. Came back later with a frontend loader.
wayward herferd, that didn,t like fences and went to steak-hambeger. marlin 45-70 with a hard cast 405 gr bullet at 2000 fps, one shot and done

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
A "Bovine Slam"....IMO.

To be considered a slam, I'd have to say it would have to contain at least 4 different species. Not necessarily in different areas, but at least different species. These bovines would be my choices qualifiers in a Bovine Slam. Not all would be considered dangerous game, but all are certainly a formidable undertaking for one reason or another.

1. African Cape Buffalo (5 different species alone)
2. Asian Water Buffalo
3. Indian Gaur
4. American Bison or Wood Bison
5. Muskox

Last edited:

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
A "Bovine Slam"....IMO.

To be considered a slam, I'd have to say it would have to contain at least 4 different species. Not necessarily in different areas, but at least different species. These bovines would be my choices qualifiers in a Bovine Slam. Not all would be considered dangerous game, but all are certainly a formidable undertaking for one reason or another.

1. African Cape Buffalo (5 different species alone)
2. Asian Water Buffalo
3. Indian Gaur
4. American Bison or Wood Bison
5. Muskox
6. Australian NT scrub bulls up to 1200kg and not particularly hunter-friendly

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
6. Australian NT scrub bulls up to 1200kg and not particularly hunter-friendly
Nor are they particularly hunting vehicle-friendly, it's not unheard of for them to have a go at a 4x4

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
Nor are they particularly hunting vehicle-friendly, it's not unheard of for them to have a go at a 4x4
I've had an encounter or two with wild cattle while working in the bush, they glide along like grey ghosts on tip toe. I felt that the 30-06 with 220gr loads I was carrying was inadequate.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
I've had an encounter or two with wild cattle while working in the bush, they glide along like grey ghosts on tip toe. I felt that the 30-06 with 220gr loads I was carrying was inadequate.
Yeah, I hunted one with a 375 and felt barely adequate. It's interesting how different theses animals act and even move when compared to domiciled cattle.

The most interesting bovine I've seen must Banteng though - while they look like a bit fancier version of a cow they move and jump more like a deer than a bovine. I've seen them jump over cattle fences with no issues, water buff just tend to just go through them without slowing down.

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
Yeah, I hunted one with a 375 and felt barely adequate. It's interesting how different theses animals act and even move when compared to domiciled cattle.

The most interesting bovine I've seen must Banteng though - while they look like a bit fancier version of a cow they move and jump more like a deer than a bovine. I've seen them jump over cattle fences with no issues, water buff just tend to just go through them without slowing down.
Agreed. Domestic cattle in the bush are noisy, bellowing, crashing through the scrub - hear them a mile off. No so wild cattle, I usually sense or smell them long before sighting and that's normally only a glimpse before they fade into the background. They're a scary bovine. I haven't hunted Banteng so can't comment on them.

JanP

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Capt. John.H. Brandt wrote a very fine book about hunting Eurasian wild cattle, as he called them.It is called "Horned Giants". He also describes wild bovine species like Gayal, Kouprey, Anoa amongst the more common Water Buffalo, Banteng and Gaur. So there is much more to find!

Sarg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Banteng are proper DG for sure, I guided on them for many seasons, had a lot of charges compared to Buffalo & was tossed nicely one time, I was very lucky on that contact not to be seriously hurt .

We had one hunter gorged in the upper thigh (not my hunter) he was also fortune not to have been more seriously injured or killed !

I believe they would be held in higher esteem if they had more hunting exposure & more widely known !

Reaction score
Media
Don’t forget the Chirikof Island cattle we have in Alaska. Study that one sometime. Now there would be some adventurous burger harvest

Milo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Safari Club International, Alaska Waterfowl Association
Hunted
Alaska, Canada, USA, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina
My goal is to shoot a bovine on every continent that has them. I have 4 species on 3 continents.
I was supposed to be in Australia this April for water buffalo and banteng and have also been planning feral cattle here in Alaska. Both of those trips are on hold due to covid.
Going back to Africa for another cape buffalo this year instead.

Last edited:

Milo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Safari Club International, Alaska Waterfowl Association
Hunted
Alaska, Canada, USA, New Zealand, South Africa, Argentina
Just seen a video recently... about the wild cattle living around Chernobyl....something to think about !
Glen
Maybe one could combine that with wisent in the Pripyat marsh.

npm352

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I would say a good representation from four continents of currently huntable bovines would be:

American Buffalo
Cape Buffalo
South America Water Buffalo
Australian Water Buffalo

I have done these so I am biased. Cape buff my favorite to hunt of those four.

Opposite Pole

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
I would say a good representation from four continents of currently huntable bovines would be:

American Buffalo
Cape Buffalo
South America Water Buffalo
Australian Water Buffalo

I have done these so I am biased. Cape buff my favorite to hunt of those four.

How about Bison in Europe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorthyList

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?