Bourbon in SA / Namibia

I must admit, I had my first brandy and coke in SA and actually enjoyed it. Haven’t had one since, so that suggests that it’s one of those “had to be there” things.
 
You can likely look up the duty free in Cape Town and check their stock. In JNB they list some stock, but if you email, they’ll tell you exactly what they have on hand. April I just brought a bottle of Blantons with me to Zim, and likely will again in a couple weeks. This trip, the plan is to travel through Doha, which they have excellent selection of bourbon, scotch and cigars. Last couple times through they have shelves of Eagle Rare. This past April, JNB duty free had Buffalo Trace and some Weller green label.
I just came back from Namibia so just for clarity they will not allow you to bring any hard liquor into their country. The duty free store in JNB was very clear about that. If you want to sneak a bottle from the US into your checked luggage and not declare it no problem
 
Can also highly recommend the Tullamore Dew 14, and if really into giving yourself a treat - the 18. A nearly perfect Irish. Another member posted this years ago.

I looked up the Tullamore 14/18 and they’re honestly rather affordable, I’ve just never sought them out as during my power drinking days Jameson was the weapon of choice.

Now that I rarely drink I really want something worth having.

The Red Breast 21 is as close to perfect as I’ve tasted; and I genuinely believe is good value for what it is.
IMG_0470.png


I will state with no shame that I have enjoyed many a brandy and coke while flounder fishing in Lake Charles; the captains that don’t mind drinking in front of “sports” turned me onto it, but we’re talking the kind of brandy you buy at the gas stations down there.
 
I must admit, I had my first brandy and coke in SA and actually enjoyed it. Haven’t had one since, so that suggests that it’s one of those “had to be there” things.
I think we were drinking bourbon before the SA concoction was set before us.
 
If you like a good bourbon, then bring your own. Good Scotch, if there is such a thing, :giggle:is more readily available in Africa. We found all of the different types of Glenmorangie in Windhoek.
Agree. The key is when in Namibia you buy hard from them. I too saw a great assortment. They just will not knowingly bring it in
 
Im a little late to the party... you can pack a bottle in your luggage, you can also buy duty free. You can ask your PH to have it in camp but ask in advance. There is or was a great liquer store in Windhoek right across from the Chinese consulate. But dont take picture of it they get pretty testy about that. Dont ask me how I know.
 
The typical Namibian or South African barbarian Boer will mix coke with brandy in something of a national drink. If mixing whisky, a scotch blend like Bell's is typically sacrificed, but William Evans would be an acceptable bourbon substitute - the tricky part is that they would be just as happy to use Booker's or Elijah. :rolleyes: Which means you are unlikely to find a small production quality bourbon in the typical shop. I have become more a quality lowland single malt fan and bring a bottle of Bladnoch or Glenkinchie with me. I would suggest you do the same. And yes, in South Africa you are limited to a liter duty free. A fifth of bourbon is 750 ml. I would suggest a couple of gin and tonics when arriving back in camp and a finger or two of your bourbon late to stretch that bottle.
Brandy and Coke is big in Zimbabwe too. Bolls and Coke was what I heard a lot when my PH and I went out to a pub one evening after the hunt.
 
Now that is interesting.
Purchased that while hunting in Namibia in’23. Can’t honestly say now that it tasted different. Time has a tendency to numb the senses. Definitely a conversation starter
 
I looked up the Tullamore 14/18 and they’re honestly rather affordable, I’ve just never sought them out as during my power drinking days Jameson was the weapon of choice.

Now that I rarely drink I really want something worth having.

The Red Breast 21 is as close to perfect as I’ve tasted; and I genuinely believe is good value for what it is.
View attachment 796207

I will state with no shame that I have enjoyed many a brandy and coke while flounder fishing in Lake Charles; the captains that don’t mind drinking in front of “sports” turned me onto it, but we’re talking the kind of brandy you buy at the gas stations down there.
Seriously?!? I grew up there - admittedly a long time ago - but brandy and coke??!! Back in the day, the all day in the sun drinkers were a Beam and coke crowd. Either are for alcoholics rather than anyone who appreciates a fine bourbon or brandy.
 
Seriously?!? I grew up there - admittedly a long time ago - but brandy and coke??!! Back in the day, the all day in the sun drinkers were a Beam and coke crowd. Either are for alcoholics rather than anyone who appreciates a fine bourbon or brandy.
Yes sir, or 7&7’s were quite popular too; funny you mention Beam & Coke, those premixed Beam and Cola cans were present at every gas station.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,054
Members
169,692
Latest member
PrestonWat
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top