BOTSWANA: Botswana Or Bust

A great read!

Actually, I cannot think of an airline which has a clue with firearms. They all, always, act like it is the first time ever.

Pardon my uncultured ignorance, but I did not know this was a thing, to bring your own PH on another outfitters hunting concession.

Now that I think of it, never heard of anyone having their own PH either…
Not that long ago there was a discussion here about this practice. IIRC at that time most were not familiar with it, but now its not uncommon I guess?
I have seen it done once, over 10 years ago in Zim when a client was going to take the head PH who I had expected to hunt with, to another area and outfitter to hunt lion.
I thought it a bit odd then and still do.
Seems like it could be a bit awkward.

Update 3:
The next couple of days was more of the same. We would see around 15 to 20 bulls all of them were less than 50lbs and really not old enough to to harvest either.
Side note;
I have seen a discussion about a person bringing their own PH with them on a hunt and folks not hearing of this before.
I know lots of hunters that do this and for different reasons. For the most part these people act as booking agents when they come into camp and not as primary PH. I have never had a problem with an outfitter in doing this and frankly would not book with someone who did have a problem with it. In the end it’s all about comfort and when I travel in Africa I bring someone with me that always has my back and speaks several African languages as well.
Back to the story… today we went out and saw my first 60 plus pound elephant. I know that I will be kicking myself later but did not shoot…at this point I’m claiming temporary insanity as a defense.
Dinners at this place should be on their own food channel. It’s to much to list but for instance last night we had the standard triple hot appetizer including beer battered tilapia fingers. Roasted rack of lamb with bread pudding for desert.
I have moved on to nice 14 year old OBan whiskey and the box of 1926 anniversary cigars.
On to the next day!

HH

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates that 100 pounder is around the corner soon.

Update:
Today we got out there and found a huge track. Started following it and after 40 minutes we got out first look at him. A mid 60’s bull and I simply can’t hold out any longer. We decide to make an approachable as we zig the the elephant starts to zag…a small swirl of wind and the trunk comes up and he beats a hasty retreat away from us. No chance of catching him so we move on.
After a leisurely lunch and quick nap we continue the search. We come around the water pan and after a few hundred yards see the tips of an ancient dugga boy.
This is right up my alley for those of you that know me I love Cape buffalo hunting. We get out of the truck and begin the stalk. Moving slowly we get to within 20 yards of him. I have some brush covering part of the vitals but I can just see the point of the snow cone and decide to take the shot. The shot hits exactly were I’m aiming and the cape buss out of the brush away from us and we decide to give him 5 minutes in anticipation of the death below that is sure to follow.
No Death Below…So we begin the fun task of going after a wounded buffalo. Time for a quick breakdown of armaments, I am carrying a 505 Gibbs with 570 grain Swift A Frames, first backup has A 577 with 750 grain solids, second backup has a 458 Lott with 500 grain softs.
We start inching into the tall grass and after about 25 feet start seeing blood. We proceeded further along and after 40 yards see him standing in some thick bushes. We fan out and I prepare to shoot again. As the bullet hits him, again exactly we’re in aiming, he breaks out of the bush! Follow up shots with both of my backups and a last shot by yours truly and the cape is down for good.
As we get to this old warrior we notice that the shots are all perfectly placed and can’t explain his resistance to bullet Vitamins. Handshakes all around and we can begin to enjoy this beautiful trophy animal and 4 villages will benefit with the meat from him.
View attachment 467268

Attachments

• IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 268
Had me holding my breath...
:)

Super dagga boy old warrior for sure!!

Thanks for the updates that 100 pounder is around the corner soon.
No doubt the food is great! Mr KK has been in this game long enough to know how to spoil his clientele. He has never offered me any cigars though!
Interested to know what speed you are getting with the 570 Swifts in the Gibbs? That Buff should have rolled over like a Labrador wanting a tummy rub.
With regards to the Elephant ,remember it’s not the size that counts but rather the age and your overall hunting experience -that’s the real trophy!

With regards to the Elephant ,remember it’s not the size that counts but rather the age and your overall hunting experience -that’s the real trophy!
Very true but since there is a chance I wish him the best. :A No1:

Great looking old buff.

Looking forward to the rest of your hunt.

Final Update:
The next few days the temperature drops to the freezing point and makes showering in the morning a less than desirable option but your intrepid hunter dared the shrinkage gods and survived anyway. Those days were filled with an average of 20 bulls a day and nothing that I considered old enough to shoot.
On day 8 we saw 11 bulls by lunch and upon getting back on the road found some good size prints heading in to the Mopani Scrub brush, we tracked for a short distance and began to see the large tusks moving through and heading towards are open clearing at a leisurely pace. That means we were jogging to circle around and get ahead of him.
Upon entering the clearing this was a no doubt shooter bull and we hurriedly set up sticks. As he was still moving through some brush I decided for the side heart/lung shot. As this magnificent animal came into range I fired the shot.
Perfect shot and the animal was still slowly moving so 2 more shots in the boiler room and he went down for the count. 1 more insurance shot and the Elephant was finished.
I was overcome with a multitude of emotions as I sat with him and reconciled what I had just accomplished. Photos to follow…

HH

Last edited:
HH, it sounds exactly like the sort of safari I would want to do, and will do. But I would have taken you for a double rifle man?

Thanks Kevin…I do own a beautiful Heym 88B in 470 NE and have taken around 18 Cape’s with it. As you can imagine the gun choice is often what’s peaked my interest and lately it’s been the 505 Gibbs

HH

No doubt the food is great! Mr KK has been in this game long enough to know how to spoil his clientele. He has never offered me any cigars though!
Interested to know what speed you are getting with the 570 Swifts in the Gibbs? That Buff should have rolled over like a Labrador wanting a tummy rub.

John,
My loads are right at 2200 fps and we were all astonished as to the audacity of this cape to not just fall over. I will say that after my 2 shots with a 505 he was then hit with a 577 NE and a 458 Lott before my 3rd and final 505 put him down for the count.

HH

Waidmannsheil @Hunting Hitman!!! Congratulations on a superb old dagga boy and what an elephant! The broken tip gives it a lot of character :)

Very well done sir!

Great looking bull.

Congratulations on two great animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg