Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Guys,

I was till recently very opposed to bore snake.
Alegedely, with long time use it can wear out the muzzle crown, and destroy the accuracy of the rifle.

On the other hand, recently, I noticed that it is very handy to use in the field. Much easier and handier then using long brushes. This is also very practical as field cleaning equipment on African safari.

So, I am now having divided opinions on this.

What is your reccomendation? To use it, or not? Did you have any bad experiences with this, after long term continuous use?

Bore snakes are worthless for lead and copper. But, I take one each hunt as it is easy to clean dirt and moisture from the bore. Some oil on the cloth is a good and easy way to coat the bore with oil.

Agreed! Not useful to remove fouling, but very effective to remove powder residues, dust, moisture, etc.

I have always been dubious whether pulling a nylon string against the hardened steel of a barrel crown a few times could do more damage than the white hot cutting flame of the combustion gases bursting around the crown periphery as bullets leaves the bore....................

This being as it may, it does not hurt when pulling the string to make sure that the string does not rub against the crown, and it is very easy to do. Just pull the string straight in the axis of the muzzle and nothing touches the crown....................

I have been pulling a bore snake through all my barrels 3 times (the third time seems to not push a small cloud of powder residues out the bore as the first two do) every time I shoot, and actually even when I do not shoot but I had the rifle out in the field in dusty conditions, for the last 10 years or so, and I cannot think of what damage it could do, and if it did, it did not affect accuracy in any way I can discern....................

I personally do not put oil on the bore snakes as a barrel coated with oil in the dry African field will retain dust a lot more than a dry barrel. A barrel in the snow in Alaska is a different situation.

I think solvents do most of the cleaning and am convinced there is no need for a bronze brush unless you buy an old rifle that has been abused. Even then, patience and solvents will be better.

So I reckon there is nothing wrong with a bore snake except you maybe need to clean it when it gets all cruddy. I just use an old school pull through and a nylon brush on a rod most of the time.

My experience with 12 ga, and bore snake cleaning after a day long phaesant hunt is positive. (also, muzzle crown issue for smooth bore is not overly guestionable)

Of course thorough clenining with solvents on rifled barrel is must, after a longer use. But for quick removal of residues in barrel in the field, it seams that bore snake is most convenient.

I use Hoppe's Viper bore snakes all the time, but I am very careful to make sure the string doesn't touch the rifling. I don't believe they are "useless" for cleaning, because there are more effective ways of removing lead and copper. I see them more as polishing the rifling as my accuracy has only gotten better with me using them.

Most people who use a cleaning rod do more damage than good from the rod hitting the origins of the rifling or over-cleaning (scrubbing) a rifle barrel.

There is a reason most people put a fouling shot through their rifle before going on a hunt.

The issue - rod or bore snake - is to keep the in-out or pull through motion off the corners of the crown. The perfect release of the bullet from the bore is compromised if a spot is worn away from cleaning wear . Then your projectile starts out being "thrown" downrange like a "duck" football - wobbling.

GIs ruined the accuracy of most rifles by the three cleaning sessions after each range session. The three cleanings were really to neutralize corrosive priming salts. However, running the sectioned cleaning rods against the edges of the muzzle by not keeping the rod perfectly centered in the bore, wore away the crown over time.

Same issue with a snake. I always insure I pull the snake straight up the middle of the bore and don't let it contact the edges of the crown. Over 20 years you could wear away the corners. This is the limit of my bore cleaning OCD. Three pulls and done. I got sick to death of pushing patches through the bore and NEVER getting clean ones out.

As little as most guys really fire their rifle, I doubt it will make any difference. Standard cartridges take 10,000 rounds to wear out a barrel. Even if one allows 7,500 rounds for more fire-breathing cartridges, that's a lot of shooting for, say, .416 Rem Mag, or .460 Weatherby. Most guys cannot shoot well enough to notice the accuracy degradation from the muzzle crown wear and the rifles are not used for the Precision Rifle Series events, so it seems to be an overall a tempest in a teapot unless one wants a legacy pass-down to grandchildren. Then it might be a minor factor. How much accuracy is needed to shoot a buff at 50-100 yards, i.e., "minute of buffalo"? Defeating the oscillation from heartbeat and poor field shooting positions is a much greater challenge.

i carry a boresnake with me when hunting because you can stuff it in a pouch pretty easily and I have unfortunately had to use it when my rifle fell off my pack muzzle first into the dirt. The boresnake cleaned the barrel out nicely. I wouldn't use a boresnake to do a traditional cleaning of my rifles however, just for emergencies in the woods. cleaning is left to the rods/boreguides/jags/etc.

I have found you really need to go a size down on bore snakes or else you will get it stuck

I can’t fathom the science how a nylon string could damage the rifling or crown of a steel barrel more than shooting dozens of cartridge IMHO. Educate me please if I’m wrong since I often use bore snakes for quick clean-ups on my vintage Colt SAAs.

I can’t fathom the science how a nylon string could damage the rifling or crown of a steel barrel more than shooting dozens of cartridge IMHO. Educate me please if I’m wrong since I often use bore snakes for quick clean-ups on my vintage Colt SAAs.
It’s not the cord, or the bronze…it’s dust and grit getting in the fibers and those being dragged through the barrel. Think of emory cloth, it’s not the cloth, it’s the stuff stuck to it (in that case, intentionally).

It’s not the cord, or the bronze…it’s dust and grit getting in the fibers and those being dragged through the barrel. Think of emory cloth, it’s not the cloth, it’s the stuff stuck to it (in that case, intentionally).
But bronze is softer than steel, and only slightly harder than lead…..

I like them, very handy especially for lever guns and similar and great for a quick clean after the days hunt.

When the Bore Snake first came out years ago I remember reading that they should be considered as a throw away cleaning product. Also if they were to be reused that they needed to be washed to get the grit out of them.

I used to carry one in my pack just for the instance that I stick my barrel in the mud. But that is still a problem because of the mud, how do you get it out with very flexible string?

I then swapped over to a Ottis packable cleaning kit. It includes a plastic coated cable that you can attach a brush or a slotted patch holder. It is stiff enough that you could push some mud out of the muzzle if needed followed by a patch with some oil on it.

For a complete cleaning I'll stick with my kit that I have built up at home

But bronze is softer than steel, and only slightly harder than lead…..
Agreed. I was talking about dirt and dust as abrasives, not bronze. I was lumping bronze in with nylon.

I use a bore snake on trips to get the dust out - sometimes it really adds up after a few days if you’re not shooting. I don’t see any issue using it like that - drop down through the chamber and pull out the muzzle. Usually 1-2 passes with no oil.
To each their own, you can’t really fly with a rod and bore guide so it’s a good portable solution for me.
Do you think there is much difference in pulling the bore snake through the barrel to remove dust vs. pushing a brush or patch through?
Second question would be is it worse to use the bore snake or shoot with quite a bit of dust in the barrel?

I use a bore snake on trips to get the dust out - sometimes it really adds up after a few days if you’re not shooting. I don’t see any issue using it like that - drop down through the chamber and pull out the muzzle. Usually 1-2 passes with no oil.
To each their own, you can’t really fly with a rod and bore guide so it’s a good portable solution for me.
Do you think there is much difference in pulling the bore snake through the barrel to remove dust vs. pushing a brush or patch through?
Second question would be is it worse to use the bore snake or shoot with quite a bit of dust in the barrel?

I’m on the same page. I feel it’s better to use snakes on a hunt than leave dust or
Moisture in the bore. I use a rod at home.

I’m on the same page. I feel it’s better to use snakes on a hunt than leave dust or
Moisture in the bore. I use a rod at home.
I've used snakes on all my guns ever since they came out. 3 passes through a pistol or rifle after a range day to get the loose stuff out suffices. After several shooting days or a significent drop in accuracy I go to a regular cleaning kit and scour them out good.

I have been pulling my snake for years! As others have said, primarily to remove any crap in the barrel from the day spent crawling through the dust. I have been considering the idea of using a small strip of electrical tape over the muzzle to keep dust out- I saw the guys on the Meat Eater show doing it in the snow. Apparently it blows off before the bullets exists the barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharynSoli

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross