Books on converting P-14 Enfield to .404 Jeffries

Bubba

AH member
Reaction score
Greetings Y'all,
I have an old and ugly P-14 Enfield sporterized to 7mm Rem. Mag. I want to remake it into a .404 Jeffries. I am hopeful there are some old gunsmithing books out there to guide myself and the machinist in the best way to accomplish this. I realize I'll be needing a new barrel and stock, just wondering about opening action/mag box and bolt face requirements. Thanks to all, Bubba

Greetings Y'all,
I have an old and ugly P-14 Enfield sporterized to 7mm Rem. Mag. I want to remake it into a .404 Jeffries. I am hopeful there are some old gunsmithing books out there to guide myself and the machinist in the best way to accomplish this. I realize I'll be needing a new barrel and stock, just wondering about opening action/mag box and bolt face requirements. Thanks to all, Bubba
The first thing to do is to correctly identify the cartridge you are wanting to convert the Enfield to . It seems as if you are meaning the 404 JEFFERY but are mistakenly identifying it as jeffries which does not exist. ;)

You may find this thread interesting

Thank you. The book is ordered, and the articles are very informative. Going to finish up the model of 1917 in 30/06 project, then start on the. 404 Jeffrey...All the help is much appreciated. Thanks, Bubba

Of biro,
A good point to realize. I plan to reload once I have amassed enough brass and components. I wish to StaY with SAAMI specs, but it will depend largely on where I can source the brass. That may be a hard job, bit what's the fun if it was easy. Thanks for reminding me. Have a good day. Bubba

Bubba, besides being useful for reloading, cartridge dimensions are important while working on the bolt head and to adjust headspace.

Yes, sir,
I'm betting the bolt-face, being originally for a .303 Brit should only need to be opened about 3/thousands. The sporterized barrel was in 7mm Rem Mag, which is actually a smaller rim than the .303. So, that is working out fine. My main concern is in the feed lips, magazine box, and usable action length. You are correct in the cartridge specs; an important variable to be aware of. I will stick with SAAMI specs since most of the components and data i have are for American powders and cases. Just hope I can find some....Again, I thank you. It's the little stuff that can trip you up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.