Bolt up instead of safety switch?

As said if your hunting PG usually plenty of time. I’m just in the habit of putting my safety on when I have one in the chamber and after I shoot and eject the cartridge I automatically place the safety on. Just good habits

I always communicate with the P.H. before taking the field as to what they want. I don't like the bolt up as it usually slides open and gets debris in the action, gets caught, etc. If they want an up bolt I just don't load a round until the sticks go up.

Von Gruff, is the safety on the rifle you posted the original Mauser design i.e. left hand side? All of my Mauser designed rifles equipped with Buhler style safeties have the flag on the right side.
The first one I got was and old stock (un used) Parker Hale unit in the lower pic on the 7x57 I built with the Rigby sight so when I was doing the 6.5x57 in the top pic I wanted the same. As the original 98 safety worked so well on the left I saw no need to change anything except the length of the flag.

I’ve been with a PH who insisted on bolt being up. Even though I had a Ruger with 3 position safety. Can never be too safe.
Philip
I have been with many guides and only once asked to keep the bolt up on Dangerous Game Hunt with M98 375 H&H. The PH said it was for him to know instantly by sight that it was safe. Then bolt down upon approach and safe off when ready to fire. Most will ask for a round to not be chambered until on the sticks or in position for the shot.

I have no problem with the PH making a request that makes him feel comfortable.

I always figured if I’m carrying a gun I should carry it loaded as I plan to use it. if I am so unsafe I need to walk around with an unloaded gun I would probably pick up another hobby or spend a tremendous amount of time on the range To become more comfortable with a firearm.

I had one guide on two hunts, the first hunt he wanted the rifle completely unloaded. I argued with him a little bit but it didn't do any good.

The second hunt he allowed me to have them in the rifles magazine.

The whole thing is that if your guide/PH tells you to do something you pretty much are going to have to do it. You can discuss what he wants you to do but in the end he will win out one way or another.

As for carrying a bolt in a up position, I think that if they wanted me to do that I would just pull the bolt completely and put it in my pocket.

My PH let me keep my rifle locked and loaded all the time. Just before I stepped out of my room I loaded up, mag full, one in the chamber, locked and loaded. Holdover from military days--always loaded. Even in the bakkie I was fully locked and loaded, muzzle on the floor. With a Win 70 3 position safety everything is locked down.
You may breathe again. It was totally safe.

For the engineers amongst us, you do a haz-op analysis of walking behind someone with a round in the chamber, safety switch or not, cocked or not, and I guarantee you it will not pass until you get to the ultimate solution - no round in the chamber. So why does it matter? Because heaven forbid there is an accidental discharge that maims or kills someone an even half-smart lawyer can make the argument that it was gross neglect. Read you go to gaol or pay an awful lot of money. Legalities apart, that man or woman in front of you is someone's loved one, you owe them ultimate safety, period.

My PH let me keep my rifle locked and loaded all the time. Just before I stepped out of my room I loaded up, mag full, one in the chamber, locked and loaded. Holdover from military days--always loaded. Even in the bakkie I was fully locked and loaded, muzzle on the floor. With a Win 70 3 position safety everything is locked down.
You may breathe again. It was totally safe.
That is strange...unless you were expected to shoot from inside the truck.

No loaded firearms on my vehicle.

Plenty time to do that on the stalk.

All have there own opinions regarding this but for me the only safety is the one between the ears of the person handling the firearm. This gets assessed from day one and especially at the sighting range.....it is very easy to quickly determine how experienced somebody is and how good their gun safety is.

Unsafe, I will only allow loading chamber at the last possible moment. If right handed always of to my left I hate having gun muzzle pointed at me no matter who you are

Having said that game sciuts and some PH's also have apoling gun safety

I'm not covering any new ground here.
Proper gun safety by all members of the hunting party is vital.
Even if verified unloaded, always point the barrel in a safe direction.

As for the bolt up method of a "safety"...
I'm not a fan because there is just too much to go wrong.
It gets caught on brush, the shooter falls...etc.
Ultimately it will fall to your PH as to what he would like.

Our PH was comfortable with us and our firearm safety.
We loaded the chamber when we got off the truck and put the safety on.
Unloaded getting back on the truck or when the animal was down.

As @Red Leg stated, this is where the Blaser R8 and similar systems make a heap of sense.
Having the chamber loaded and rifle decocked is about as safe as it gets with one in the pipe.
Being able to silently cock the rifle just before the shot is the best part.

That is strange...unless you were expected to shoot from inside the truck.

No loaded firearms on my vehicle.

Plenty time to do that on the stalk.

All have there own opinions regarding this but for me the only safety is the one between the ears of the person handling the firearm. This gets assessed from day one and especially at the sighting range.....it is very easy to quickly determine how experienced somebody is and how good their gun safety is.

Unsafe, I will only allow loading chamber at the last possible moment. If right handed always of to my left I hate having gun muzzle pointed at me no matter who you are

Having said that game sciuts and some PH's also have apoling gun safety
I haven’t hunted Africa yet, but the idea of someone I don’t know (or anyone for that matter) walking behind me with a rifle held by the barrel pointed at my back is very disconcerting. I don’t care if the rifle is unloaded or not. I’ve seen this a couple of times in the handful of African hunting videos I’ve ever watched. When I’m hunting elk my rifle is fully loaded, but it’s not a “group” hunt. I’m by myself or with a buddy. Safety is paramount, because if someone is accidentally shot in the woods/bush, the extremely high odds is that person will die.

@CoElkHunter
Looking from the bright side, the client will walk the last in the line, nobody behind you... Dont worry! ;)

I haven’t hunted Africa yet, but the idea of someone I don’t know (or anyone for that matter) walking behind me with a rifle held by the barrel pointed at my back is very disconcerting. I don’t care if the rifle is unloaded or not. I’ve seen this a couple of times in the handful of African hunting videos I’ve ever watched. When I’m hunting elk my rifle is fully loaded, but it’s not a “group” hunt. I’m by myself or with a buddy. Safety is paramount, because if someone is accidentally shot in the woods/bush, the extremely high odds is that person will die.
Nobody will carry a loaded rifle behind me with an African carry.....

I would say there are more accidental discharges from the loading and unloading of a rifle throughout the day than accidental trigger manipulation. One look at a clearing barrel will confirm this.

Some game scouts utilize all sorts of carry means, Chinese, African, left right up down back forward.........

Some game scouts utilize all sorts of carry means, Chinese, African, left right up down back forward.........
With bolt forward or back, magazine in or out, cartridge in the chamber or not? Using 123gr Swift or Barnes bullets? Ha! Ha! Been slow here on AH the last few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg