Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

@Shootist43
Art I see a lot more people on the forum trying the Whelen and liking it. I personally think the good ol Whelen is alive and doing well despite the naysayers and heathen 243 owners saying otherwise.
I think @hunting Gold will have his eyes opened when he uses it on game.
He has settled in the old 200gr Remington Core-Lokts for his hand loads. A few may scoff at his choice but fail to realise that Remington beefed these up for use in the 350 rem mag for game including moose.
Bob
I would have to 2nd the 200 grain Core- Lokts they flatten Australian wild pigs, out of my Ruger 350 Rem Mag, the bullet performs well in other calibers too, shame you cant get them any more. My 6.5x55 loves the 140grain bullet.& the 243 Win the 100 grain .

I would have to 2nd the 200 grain Core- Lokts they flatten Australian wild pigs, out of my Ruger 350 Rem Mag, the bullet performs well in other calibers too, shame you cant get them any more.
A .350 Rem Mag? I'm jealous. I've bought dies for that cartridge, just have to find a reasonably priced rifle somewhere. Ol Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen won't like my .35 choice, but he'll get over it. LOL

Nay sayers, .243 Heathens, what else can you lot come up with.
It almost makes me be anti Whelen, I won't get on the Creedmoor bandwagon so I'm not sure I want to follow you lot.

Nay sayers, .243 Heathens, what else can you lot come up with.
It almost makes me be anti Whelen, I won't get on the Creedmoor bandwagon so I'm not sure I want to follow you lot.
"What else can you come up with"? You forgot the legendary 6.5 Manbun? Don't sell Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen short. He's a legend in his own mind! Ha! Ha! Ha!

A .350 Rem Mag? I'm jealous. I've bought dies for that cartridge, just have to find a reasonably priced rifle somewhere. Ol Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen won't like my .35 choice, but he'll get over it. LOL
My son & i got the last 2 in Australia from the Ruger distributor who is a friend of mine, when he was getting out of the business,in about 1999 here is a couple of lousy picts, we got 500 cases & 500 200 grain CL we have never brought any factory ammo

163.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My son & i got the last 2 in Australia from the Ruger distributor who is a friend of mine, when he was getting out of the business,in about 1999 here is a couple of lousy picts, we got 500 cases & 500 200 grain CL we have never brought any factory ammo
Very nice!

I would have to 2nd the 200 grain Core- Lokts they flatten Australian wild pigs, out of my Ruger 350 Rem Mag, the bullet performs well in other calibers too, shame you cant get them any more. My 6.5x55 loves the 140grain bullet.& the 243 Win the 100 grain .
@rdog
I managed to get 400× 100gn 25 caliber Core-Lokts fore my 25. Haven't used them in min but in the son's 25 @3,200fps they to are dynamite on pigs. Not as emphatic as the 350 rem mag but dead anyhoo. Pity the price has gone thru the roof now. I paid 36 bucks a hundred now over 60.

@CoElkHunter
It's a 35 tho mate. Not as good as the Whelen but good none the less.
At least you will graduate to the 35 club but not quite the Whelen club.
Hopefully you can get brass for it. If not you can form it out of 7mm RM cases. A pia but doable.
Why don't I just have a holiday over there and bring my Whelen AI with cases and dies so you con buy that at a reasonable price.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@CoElkHunter
It's a 35 tho mate. Not as good as the Whelen but good none the less.
At least you will graduate to the 35 club but not quite the Whelen club.
Hopefully you can get brass for it. If not you can form it out of 7mm RM cases. A pia but doable.
Why don't I just have a holiday over there and bring my Whelen AI with cases and dies so you con buy that at a reasonable price.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Give it to me and save on the international travel, we both win, you can thank me later.

That is a great idea & Bob could go out & buy a 243 & a 6.5 CM & be happyo_O
Bob could have a O/U rifle or maybe a drilling chambered in both cartridges? Both his favorites in one rifle. Ha! Ha Ha!

You'd have to carry two rifles then? Just bring your .338WM and leave the .35s in your gun safe. LOL
@CoElkHunter
You is a funny Vegemite mate. Why take a 338 when a perfectly good 35 is available. A bit like driving a 2 wheel drive when a 4x4 is a better option.

Give it to me and save on the international travel, we both win, you can thank me later.
@CBH Australia
Mate when I go to the happy hunting ground my wife knows to give you first option on my 35Whelen as well as powder Nd projectiles. Yes the powder will be CFE223.
Bob

Bob could have a O/U rifle or maybe a drilling chambered in both cartridges? Both his favorites in one rifle. Ha! Ha Ha!
@CoElkHunter
What 243 top barrel snd manbun bottom barrel.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
I'm still laughing.
Bob

Well... Here is my rifle named Bob's first victim. A malformed springbok taken as a cull. Shot less than 2 hours ago. More to come.... Hopefully.
20220325_100552_HDR(1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barekus7835

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25