Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia (X2), Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
Tonight I find myself in deer camp once again. Tomorrow is the opening day of rifle season in Missouri. The forecast calls for light snow tonight. That’s been a rarity for the last 30 years, so it’s welcome. @Jeff505 and I will be in amongst-’em tomorrow for the 30-somethingth time. I don’t believe the thrill is any diminished from the first time I hunted them. Good luck to everyone who’s headed out tomorrow!

Good luck! I'll be out Sunday in Kentucky. Some snow would be a nice touch for the day. Hopefully not a day of staring blankly at trees!

rifle season for us doesn't open until the 19th

sounds like you're in for a glorious weekend, deer or no deer. good luck.

Tonight I find myself in deer camp once again. Tomorrow is the opening day of rifle season in Missouri. The forecast calls for light snow tonight. That’s been a rarity for the last 30 years, so it’s welcome. @Jeff505 and I will be in amongst-’em tomorrow for the 30-somethingth time. I don’t believe the thrill is any diminished from the first time I hunted them. Good luck to everyone who’s headed out tomorrow!
We had a fine ribeye meal, will be going to bed early with just a few bourbons. I hope to get some sleep tonight but am finding the excitement of opening day rifle season has kept its magic and I feel like a youngster. The timelessness of hunting and thrill of the pursuit is without age. Good luck to those who are on the same journey.

I wasn't planning on hunting until later in the season, based on weather from last year. It was warm all season, mornings in the mid-60s and even low 70s until about 10 January this year.

This is the projection for next weekend, which is stellar hunting weather for us. So it looks like I'm going opening weekend after all.
1668257450943.png

I’m sitting in a stand this weekend just 90 minutes north of you @sgt_zim (I believe you are in Houston metro?)…

Despite hot weather and a full moon this week… we stacked up 5 doe yesterday with 9 hunters in camp (and got a hog the night before)… saw several nice bucks… and a handful of spikes… they were super active…

After last nights rain and the 20 degree temperature drop this morning I thought we’d do twice as well this morning… but the winds are up… so after and hour of daylight, no rifles have barked so far…

If you’re planning on hunting the piney woods north of you.. I think it’s going to be a very good season

Good luck. Please can you send some photos of your camp?

I’m sitting in a stand this weekend just 90 minutes north of you @sgt_zim (I believe you are in Houston metro?)…

Despite hot weather and a full moon this week… we stacked up 5 doe yesterday with 9 hunters in camp (and got a hog the night before)… saw several nice bucks… and a handful of spikes… they were super active…

After last nights rain and the 20 degree temperature drop this morning I thought we’d do twice as well this morning… but the winds are up… so after and hour of daylight, no rifles have barked so far…

If you’re planning on hunting the piney woods north of you.. I think it’s going to be a very good season
I hunt about 300 miles east of here in Louisiana, maybe halfway between Baton Rouge and Woodville, MS.

I've never deer hunted in Texas, been here for 31 years now as of this week - 1st day of work at the Houston po-lease academy was 12 November 1991.

Is the rifle season in Missouri relatively short, like a week or two? When I was in college in Louisiana, my Dad was stationed at Whiteman AFB in Missouri. Since I was still a dependent, I was able to get a resident license in Missouri and hunt some. Took a few deer and always saw lots of turkeys.

My health is better in November. Setting up camp Mon.

Is the rifle season in Missouri relatively short, like a week or two? When I was in college in Louisiana, my Dad was stationed at Whiteman AFB in Missouri. Since I was still a dependent, I was able to get a resident license in Missouri and hunt some. Took a few deer and always saw lots of turkeys.
Yes, it’s 10 days. Then there’s an alternative methods season in Dec. Muzzle loaders, handguns, archery an atlatl. No I’m not kidding. A 13 year old girl got a deer with an atlatl last year I think.

Our deer camp is a brand new cabin a neighbor built and rents out on VRBO. It’s 2 miles from our lease. It sits on the bank of the Mineral Fork River. A really nice Smallmouth Bass stream. It used to be the site of a lead smelter in the early 1800s. It’s pretty fancy for deer camp! I’ll send pictures when I have better internet.

Good luck. Please can you send some photos of your camp?
Hi Kevin. Here are some pictures of the cabin. It’s 2 miles from our hunting lease.
43D05934-5B14-42FE-9936-23CCE31631F4.jpeg
0B39C650-5659-41BB-9A4B-4E03640735C5.jpeg
E1410CC6-7F60-4AA3-95F7-71A557D2329C.jpeg
3A5BB564-B4DF-4952-B2B6-236C8442669C.jpeg

It’s a small cabin with a sleeping loft that overlooks the mineral fork river. We don’t have to suffer too badly for our sport! The last picture is a furnace they used to smelt lead. It was built in the early 1800s. As you can see, we had a nice dusting of snow for opening day! We’re supposed to get another inch or two tonight! More fun to be had,

That looks Great Doug, you right, no suffering there.

For the us regular firearms season comes to an end, we still have the rest of our bow season and alternative methods. Doug3006 and I had a good but chilly time in the woods. After finally shedding blood it’s time to head home and be a more proper husband.

BDBEB9F7-E679-4716-99AC-F618B33B4786.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg