Blaser R8 Owner in USA

To those that offered advice on the problems I listed in my previous post, I apologize for the delay responding. Sometimes I get an email that the thread was updated, other times I don't. I figured this thread had gone dormant after I made my issues known. Sorry about that!

With regard to the .223 not firing every time, I'm glad that others have had the same issue. It is only with that barrel and bolt face. The only inconvenience is that I'm tempted to immediately pull it partially open and close it again when I hear the click which would be really bad form if it was just a delayed fire. I remind myself to wait 30 seconds. I have some new Starline brass that I'm going to load up just to make sure it wasn't a problem with the brass of my last batch of reloads.

With regard to the scope mounting, my complaint is not with respect to zero it is regarding the mount itself. When I take it off the .223 it fits too loosely on the .375 and must be tightened using that annoying star-shaped screw on the mount and the ridiculously skinny and weak Blaser screwdriver. I solved this problem by buying a beautiful Z8i (yes, I blame AH for that) for the .375 and now don't change scopes between barrels.

Last, with regard to the first round of .375 feeding improperly, I really think it just needs to be worn in a bit. If the bolt is closed when I push the mag into place it works fine but if the bolt is open the spring inside the magazine seems to fail to adequately push the front of the cartridge up and it sits very flat inside the magwell. When I push forward the bullet nose doesn't slide up and into the chamber, it hits something (I think the back edge of the barrel) and stops. If I put the magazine in with the bolt open I just push down slightly on the back end of the cartridge to realign the way the cartridge lies in the magwell and everything works as it should.

Again, thanks to those that offered advice. I won't be as slow to respond next time.
Blaser does not design the mounts to interchange between barrels without adjustment. Each mount has to be fitted to a particular barrel and scope. What the design does allow is removal of the scope for transport with assured return to zero at one's destination.

I am still not sure what is happening with the feeding issue. None of mine in any caliber have exhibited a feeding issue of any kind. However, I never load mine by removing trigger group. I simply press the rounds down from the top into the open magazine.

Blaser does not design the mounts to interchange between barrels without adjustment. Each mount has to be fitted to a particular barrel and scope. What the design does allow is removal of the scope for transport with assured return to zero at one's destination.

I am still not sure what is happening with the feeding issue. None of mine in any caliber have exhibited a feeding issue of any kind. However, I never load mine by removing trigger group. I simply press the rounds down from the top into the open magazine.
Thanks Red,
I didn't realize that about the interchangeability of the scopes but it makes sense.

I feed rounds in one at a time from the top when I'm testing loads but I will have to insert the magazine/trigger group quickly if I'm hunting in my truck or SxS because we cannot transport a loaded gun legally. I really think this will cease to be a problem after a few more uses, it is just sticky.

Sauer is the oldest German manufacturer. More upscale?

One thing I forgot to rule out-- the possibility of a dummy behind the trigger. I was just at the range, working on load development for a 300 gr PRVI, loading one round at a time because I don't want to add crimping into the variables until necessary. The magazine works flawlessly this way. After I was done I switched to the .223 barrel to practise shooting off my new sticks. When I was switching the magazine inserts I noticed there are several calibers listed on the side of my .375 magazine, but .375H&H is not one of them! I recall .458 Lott and 300 Win Mag and several others but nowhere did it say .375H&H.

I have no idea how this happened. I got the barrel new off my neighbour (traded him the 6.5cm that came with my rifle) and the magazine was in the unopened box with it.

I'll get this sorted and report back. Next time I report a problem all are welcome to ask me if I checked to make sure I had the correct parts;-)

So after spending way too much obsessing, researching and sleepless nights I broke out the piggy bank and jumped in the deep end of Blazer rabbit hole. Special thanks @BeeMaa for his guidance and answer my hundreds of questions.

Got myself a Luxus Grade 7 wood with fluted 30.06, regular 6.5 CM (yes I know, I have to hide in shame for a week ) and Blaser B2 2-12x50 scope

IMG_20240322_202724.jpg
IMG_20240322_202737.jpg
IMG20240322202451.jpg
IMG20240322202456.jpg
IMG20240322202515.jpg
IMG20240322202544.jpg
IMG20240322203304.jpg
IMG20240322203228.jpg
IMG_20240322_202803.jpg
IMG20240322202607.jpg
IMG20240322202658.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So after spending way too much obsessing, researching and sleepless nights I broke out the piggy bank and jumped in the deep end of Blazer rabbit hole. Special thanks @BeeMaa for his guidance and answer my hundreds of questions.

Got myself a Luxus Grade 7 wood with fluted 30.06, regular 6.5 CM (yes I know, I have to hide in shame for a week ) and Blaser B2 2-12x50 scope
Beautiful!

Congratulations to @ajamils. I'll take a little enabler credit, but you did the heavy lifting on this one. Glad I could help.

That is a beautiful piece of timber on that stock. Easy to see the attraction.

Well done! That Luxus is a great looking rifle.

HH

As happy as I am, one thing is really bothering me. As beautiful the stock it, it seems to be really soft and I can already see some scratches. Even if I run my nail over it, it seems to create a scratch. I cannot imagine this being normal for such an expensive stock. It almost seems like it is missing some type of clear coat, which should be protecting it from this issue.

Any suggestions?

IMG20240322215057.jpg

As happy as I am, one thing is really bothering me. As beautiful the stock it, it seems to be really soft and I can already see some scratches. Even if I run my nail over it, it seems to create a scratch. I cannot imagine this being normal for such an expensive stock. It almost seems like it is missing some type of clear coat, which should be protecting it from this issue.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 594909
Better angle

IMG20240322210852.jpg

Maybe there is a twist in plot and @BeeMaa works for Blaser secretly?
What I'd really like to see is those secret paychecks I should be getting. :ROFLMAO:

@ajamils - I only have two wood stocks and have little experience with removing scratches from wood. I know there are several members here who are much more experienced in this area than I am. For what it's worth the scratches do not look significant and could possibly be buffed out with some boiled linseed oil. Like I said, others will most likely have better suggestions for maintaining a fine piece of wood. In truth, I'll be interested in what they have to say as well to take care of mine.

EDIT - Would tung oil create a more durable finish?

Last edited:
Better angle
Talk to Blaser and/or your dealer. They should be able to tell you how to maintain that beautiful wood stock.

PS as this is the Africahunting.com forum, I assume you are already pondering a 9.3x62 or 375 H&H barrel to add to your collection? Lol

When I bought mine, I was really only looking to add a 375 rifle, but it seemed an awful shame not to get a couple complementary sized barrels to go with it… Blasers are clearly a gateway firearm.

Talk to Blaser and/or your dealer. They should be able to tell you how to maintain that beautiful wood stock.

PS as this is the Africahunting.com forum, I assume you are already pondering a 9.3x62 or 375 H&H barrel to add to your collection? Lol

When I bought mine, I was really only looking to add a 375 rifle, but it seemed an awful shame not to get a couple complementary sized barrels to go with it… Blasers are clearly a gateway firearm.
I sent a picture to the dealer and also an email to Blaser Group. Let's see what they say. This definitely does not seem normal as I can create scratches with just my nail so I can only imagine how bad it would get in a hunt. I haven't experience similar issues with other rifles with wood stock that cost fraction of this R8.

As for other barrels, I do not have any plans of getting another one as current shock to my piggy back will take sometime to recover. Also, I don't see a reason to 375, unless I am going to Africa, which also is in a very distant future (unless one of the sponsors here have a killer deal ;);))

I sent a picture to the dealer and also an email to Blaser Group. Let's see what they say. This definitely does not seem normal as I can create scratches with just my nail so I can only imagine how bad it would get in a hunt. I haven't experience similar issues with other rifles with wood stock that cost fraction of this R8.

As for other barrels, I do not have any plans of getting another one as current shock to my piggy back will take sometime to recover. Also, I don't see a reason to 375, unless I am going to Africa, which also is in a very distant future (unless one of the sponsors here have a killer deal ;);))
Excellent plan, buy your 375 or 9.3 when you plan your trip to Africa. This is a full service forum, we can help you plan that too! Whether tomorrow or years down the road, it’s a wonderful thing to dream about and look forward to.

Re: stock finish. I concur with you. It should not come with ‘love marks’ or be that easy to scratch. Hoping they take excellent care of you.

Try some "Kramers Best Antique Improver".

Very gentle cleaner and makes marks like that disappear.

DB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Al Gamecock

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you