Blaser R8 Owner in USA

Looking for opinions from people who have owned and shot one. I currently own multiple rifles (Benelli, Bergara, CZ) and was looking to get the latest Beretta BRX1 but during my research I got more intrigued by Blaser R8 as Beretta seems to be trying to copy that rifle. Granted there is not much need of a straight pull in for the type of hunting we do in USA or a reason to own such as expensive gun but I'm just dreaming about it.

Unlike in Europe, we in US of A have no restriction in owning multiple rifles so I keep going back and forth whether it is worth to own a "system" or just buy multiple rifles in any caliber I need. So would like to know owners opinion (specially in USA) if they think it is worth it or not.

The one I have priced out is the Luxus model (I'm a sucker for good quality wood stock) with 30.06 and 6.5 CM barrels and the cost is over 10K..... which is more than all my current guns combined :oops:
All I can say is life is totally different as an R8 owner. I understand that it is a very different mechanism and we all have to gain an understanding of how it works. Here are the highlights IMO.

1. The straight pull bolt is the fastest action of anything not semi auto.
2. the scope mounting system is the only one I trust to actually go back to zero every time.
3. It is the only gun I know of that has a detachable mag but can be made to be a top loader only for price of mind.
4. Obviously the versatility of changing calibers is key as well. You can go from 7mm Mag all the way up to .416 (somewhere there near the top of calibers) with no bolt head change. Only the mag insert needs to be changed for some calibers.
5. when combines with a Swaro Z8 you have the finest hunting system money can buy.

As a side note on calibers, if I had bought a .300 Win. Mag years ago I would have fewer guns and R8 barrels. There is little it can't do!

3. It is the only gun I know of that has a detachable mag but can be made to be a top loader only for price of mind.
4. Obviously the versatility of changing calibers is key as well. You can go from 7mm Mag all the way up to .416 (somewhere there near the top of calibers) with no bolt head change. Only the mag insert needs to be changed for some calibers.
5. when combines with a Swaro Z8 you have the finest hunting system money can buy.

As a side note on calibers, if I had bought a .300 Win. Mag years ago I would have fewer guns and R8 barrels. There is little it can't do!
Sorry, a few clarificiation in case somebody does not check themselves further:
Re 3: On mine, an R8 Ultimate, I do not not have to do anything for it to also be a top loader, which is somehow implied by '...can be made to be a top loader...' It comes like that.
Re 4: Yes, you can go from 7mm mag up to .417 with the magnum bolt head, but that does, as far as I understand not mean you can use all in between, only some of them. For example, the 9.3x62 and 8x57 and many others with diameters bigger than 7mm, can not use the same bolt head. Basically it is only the mag calibers that can use the mag bolt head. A full list is available here: https://www.blaser.de/fileadmin/med...eruebersichten/BLA_Caliber_Overview_EN_R8.pdf

Attachments

• BLA_Caliber_Overview_EN_R8.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
Sorry, a few clarificiation in case somebody does not check themselves further:
Re 3: On mine, an R8 Ultimate, I do not not have to do anything for it to also be a top loader, which is somehow implied by '...can be made to be a top loader...' It comes like that.
Re 4: Yes, you can go from 7mm mag up to .417 with the magnum bolt head, but that does, as far as I understand not mean you can use all in between, only some of them. For example, the 9.3x62 and 8x57 and many others with diameters bigger than 7mm, can not use the same bolt head. Basically it is only the mag calibers that can use the mag bolt head. A full list is available here: https://www.blaser.de/fileadmin/med...eruebersichten/BLA_Caliber_Overview_EN_R8.pdf
I just meant that the mag can be locked and then it is exclusively a top loader. Geez

Actually, if memory serves me right, with a magnum bolt Blaser offers calibers from a .257Wby (lightest) to .458 Lott (heaviest).:);)
That is what the chart says.

We own 3 complete R8 rifles plus one more barrel.

Positive points...
Best factory trigger I've ever had at 2#. Magazine on top of trigger group shortening the rifle by 4". Quick takedown for easy travel. One stock fit for any caliber from 17HMR to 500J. QD scope mount. Mix and match as you please to find the right balance for you. Multiple barrel contours for the same caliber, further customizing your fit. Kickstop easily added to help with felt recoil. Timber, synthetic, thumbhole, adjustable...etc stocks available. Dealer support. Easy resale of most components you don't need along with good deals being found on the used market. Incredible accuracy with factory ammo. Incredibly reliable, I've shot thousands of rounds with no failures. Decocking safety mechanism that is arguably the safest in the industry. Scope mounted on the barrel for more consistent accuracy and return to zero. Do I need to mention how fast they reload?

Negative points...
Not cheap, but you will get what you pay for.

We sold all our other rifles and now only own the Blaser R8's. If you want to chat, send me a PM with your number. The R8 is pretty easy, but there are a few tricks to it.
Good point on accuracy. Tim Fallon at SAAM always says "the Blaser will eat any ammo you feed it!"

Looks like a good product but damn it is expensive $29.99 for small bottle and $15 shipping :oops:
Welcome to the deep end of the pool.

It's a two lifetimes supply.
After seeing some videos online, I bought linseed oil but decided not to use it due to all the horrible stories of it catching fire.
As an alternative, I was looking at Birchwood Tru-Oil. Any experience with that?

After seeing some videos online, I bought linseed oil but decided not to use it due to all the horrible stories of it catching fire.
As an alternative, I was looking at Birchwood Tru-Oil. Any experience with that?
Have you heard from Blaser or your dealer yet?

Have you heard from Blaser or your dealer yet?
Blaser was not helpful. They said that they are "handling" marks which are not covered under warranty. Dealer offered to help get the scratches fixed and it will be "better than new", so I have shipped him the stock today.

I thought about not going that route as the the issue was negligible, but I know that it was would bother me every I pick the rifle, even though my wife couldn't until I pointed them her

I just hope it doesn't get any worse but I do have some comfort knowing that the dealer himself owns R8 Baroneese (and Professional Success) with grade 10 stock, which was in prestine condition, so he knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesrep

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.