Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

Now that I have recently booked a Elephant/Hippo/Cape Buffalo hunt in Zimbabwe, I have 16 months to decide on what rifle I will use. Is the 375 enough? Or do I move up to 416 ?
I would go 416 or 458 Lott. The 416 will penetrate like a good steak knife and get do the job well.

Further investigation have revealed that it is not recommended for magnum calibres

I think I understand what the manufacturer is trying to achieve

As far as I'm aware there are no barrel manufacturers that make Blaser style barrels in the EU other than (of course) Blaser itself.

This allows any quality custom barrel to be retro-fitted to an R8. Presumably the user can then opt for twist rate and barrel length etc of his choosing rather than just those of Blaser

A 20 or 30 MOA picatinny rail could make the R8 suitable for PRS or ELR without having to resort to an additional Blaser or Contessa rail mount - however the height saving from centre of scope to centre of barrel can't be that significant can it?

I think it is clever, it is imaginative but I too am not sure what real world advantages it offers
I think there is a 20 MOA QR mount available in Europe. https://www.optics-trade.eu/uk/innomount-for-blaser-34-mm-20-moa.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 10.44.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 10.44.10 AM.png
    680.2 KB · Views: 73
@TOBY458 - IMO 375H&H loaded with 350 grain premium softs and solids is all you need. Do your job, place the first shot correctly and everyone goes home happy. With the amount of time you have to practice with your rifle, hitting a frontal 2" circle at 25 yards should be no problem. Side brain shot is about 6"...again shouldn't be an issue with the 375.

Besides, isn't this the reason you got a Blaser, to make travel easier? Taking one of your 416's or 458's would defeat the entire purpose. Unless you plan on getting a custom 416RM or 458LOTT barrel made to fit the semi-weight channel. Not sure who else you could use other than J Sip and others have expressed extreme caution with him currently. I know you don't want to open up the channel on either of your stocks.

Take the 375 and throw in a .30 caliber barrel for the smaller stuff.

I'd follow @One Day... 's example. Take a double rifle for the big stuff and the Blaser with barrel(s) for everything else. All would still fit in a takedown case. Not to mention a follow up shot with a double is still much faster than a bolt, even Blaser's.

@TOBY458 - IMO 375H&H loaded with 350 grain premium softs and solids is all you need. Do your job, place the first shot correctly and everyone goes home happy. With the amount of time you have to practice with your rifle, hitting a frontal 2" circle at 25 yards should be no problem. Side brain shot is about 6"...again shouldn't be an issue with the 375.

Besides, isn't this the reason you got a Blaser, to make travel easier? Taking one of your 416's or 458's would defeat the entire purpose. Unless you plan on getting a custom 416RM or 458LOTT barrel made to fit the semi-weight channel. Not sure who else you could use other than J Sip and others have expressed extreme caution with him currently. I know you don't want to open up the channel on either of your stocks.

The barrel channel can be opened up with a 22mm copper pipe and some sand paper. I did one for a pal it was easy enough

Or do exactly the same thing with a 300 gr bullet.

Not trying to be a heckler, I am genuinely curious: Maybe it’s already been addressed but is there no concern over the lack of a recoil lug on the R8 barrels (especially in larger calibers)? Or is there simply no need for one given the R8’s stock design? Maybe recoil lugs are overrated? It just seems to me that over time ,with potentially high round count (especially in the .40+ cartridges), stress from recoil could take a toll on the barrel bolts and where the barrel attaches to the receiver. Am I completely out of line here?

Especially a Woodleigh Hydro.
I just think its a shame nobody in the UK gets them in. I contacted Woodleigh directly and they said I had to use the distributors. Needless to say they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot in the Central African tropics

I just think its a shame nobody in the UK gets them in. I contacted Woodleigh directly and they said I had to use the distributors. Needless to say they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot in the Central African tropics
They are available in the US for those who reload, MidwayUSA had a selection of various Woodleigh Hydros. Not sure if they would ship to you or if it would even be worth it.

They are available in the US for those who reload, MidwayUSA had a selection of various Woodleigh Hydros. Not sure if they would ship to you or if it would even be worth it.
They wont ship to the UK. It a shame Woodleigh dont have a booth at the DSC otherwise I can stock up next time im over. On the other hand I was shocked at the price difference on the barnes bullets. You guys pay A LOT less than we do

There is a gentleman on here that has shipped from Aus directly to me

Perhaps he will see this and contact you

J
John im guessing your in the UK?? I feel I have seen your handle on another UK hunting forum.

@TOBY458 - You have gotten some good responses here. How are you feeling about a 375 for Elephant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg