Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

The ic system can be retrofitted on the rifle. It’s just a magnet in the switch. I have a Zeiss scope with this feature, the scope is maybe 10 years old, not sure if they still make those.

I forgot about the necessity of an iC receiver for the illumination system to work automatically. Definitely an essential part for for those considering that feature.
If your gun doesn't come with iC, the bolt assembly is $487 on Gunbroker. I suppose you could then sell your original non iC bolt assembly to recoup some of your money.

Hmmmm............. Fascinating.............

Unless you mean something entirely different from what you write, what you seem to be wanting to communicate is:

1) scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of a CZ 550 action "cause scopes to rip off";

2) scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of an action are inferior to "older CZ m98 style that uses conventional bases and rings";

3) "to know more about (CZ 550), (I) must immerse (my) hands in it otherwise (I am) just talking conspicuous consumption";

4) good handloading should apparently result in over pressure and stuck cases.

I am just going to say hmmmm.................., again............

There is nothing mechanically stronger than scope bases machined directly into the front and rear square bridges of an action - it is certainly stronger than the mechanical strength of four 6-48 or even 8-40 screws attaching bases on top of it! - and I cannot fathom how a scope properly attached to a CZ 550 receiver with appropriate hardware could "rip off", unless of course it was attached by someone who is as good at basic mechanical tasks as at reloading overpressure and getting stuck cases...

Note: by the way, C.W. Richter, I observe that several of your rifles wear Talley mounts and rings, which are precisely the ones I use on my CZs, so I expect that you trust their mechanical strength, which I do, and that none have "ripped off" for you, but pray do tell how the 4 small screws holding the bases on your rifles are stronger than solid forged steel integral bases milled in square bridges (be they CZ, Mauser, Heym, Rigby, etc.)...

As to the advice about immersing my hands in CZ 550 matters rather than just talking about it, this has got to be one of the best jokes of the year on AH :E Rofl:

It seems I have gained quite a reputation for knowing, working on, and advocating for CZs. Rest assured I have more than a passing knowledge of CZs and currently own 4 of them (.270 Win, .300 Wby, .375 H&H, .416 Rigby) on which I personally installed Timney triggers and 3 position bolt-mounted safeties; tuned up feeding rails and ramps; adjusted extractor tension; etc., so yeah, I kind of "immersed my hands" in CZs and I guess that my "white gloves" are plenty black of CZ upgrading, tuning, stoning, polishing, etc. ;) all of which came at a cost as judiciously observed by BeeMaa...

View attachment 395983

Oh well.............................

I will only repeat - and show - what the R8 does for me that the CZ 550 cannot do:

Pelican 1700 with CZ 550 300 Wby & Krieghoff ,470 NE.jpg

CZ 550 + Krieghoff Big Five = 2 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

Blaser R8 + Krieghoff Big Five = 3 calibers to Africa in a rifle case <50 lbs. and <62" linear...

The above is a fact, and I amicably challenge anyone to get a light, medium and heavy caliber in 62" and 50 lbs. with conventional rifles. It HAS TO BE a R8 or a M03, which regrettably is not available anymore.

(A very few interchangeable barrel rifles others may qualify too, but any system with individual forearms attached to each barrel takes too much space and weight).

I am on record for finding Blaser R8 "safari" offering grossly over priced ($4,500 steel receiver Pro stock vs. $1,500 alloy receiver Pro stock, and $2,000 to $3,000 safari profile barrels vs. $1,000 standard barrels) and I maintain my position in this regard. I too have a bit of industry and business experience and I speculate that marketing to a perceived wealthy segment market explains these prices rather than production costs. But it is a free supply & demand economy, and I guess that as long as they sell at this price range they will continue...

It was not until I realized that one could actually mount any caliber barrel on the alloy receiver Pro stock and that a standard profile .375 H&H barrel cost $1,000 than I transitioned to Blaser.

A $8,000 R8 PH (steel receiver & Selous barrel) .375 H&H was a joke to me. A $3,000 R8 Pro (alloy receiver and standard barrel) .375 H&H, plus $2,000 for .257 Wby and .300 Wby barrels made eminent sense to me, for my specific purpose: going to and returning relatively easily from Africa through 8 airports each time with a 3 calibers battery.

As wisely observed by Red Leg, value is a very individualized proposition. The joy of using .257 Wby on Vaal Rhebok, .300 Wby on Kudu, and/or .375 H&H on Eland or as backup surgical precision rifle to my .470 double on Buffalo and Elephant is, TO ME, well worth my Blaser investment.

I fully respect that others may have different rationales for their different choices, but I really fail to see how using derogatory writing enhances their points........................ Oh well again............................

PS: I too must have missed all the advertising, because it sure would have helped me sort out the Blaser offering. In the end, I reached the conclusion that its complexity is its richness because possible configurations are almost endless...

That's an awful lot of writing to contradict what others on the forum have reported.

Could it be because I actually know, and have extensive first hand experience with, what I am talking about? and am therefore capable of explaining it to people who apparently do not know, nor do not have personal experience with things they therefore do not understand but parrot without any rational nor critical thinking? ;)

Again, pray do tell us: how do "CZ integral bases cause Scopes to rip off"? Or at least please help us find "what others on the forum have reported." It is apropos in this thread since Blaser R8 scope mounts too are mounted directly on the barrel without intermediary bases...

Apparently a number of us are awaiting with great expectation this wisdom, which I am sure can be provided more concisely and convincingly than my painstakingly factual explaining...

PS: it's OK, and likely a good thing, that we all of us do not make the same choices, but somehow those on this forum who seem to be more appreciated and more respected are somehow capable of discussing such choices, and the rationale for such choices, without berating those who make other choices, and they seem to carefully verify their facts, or altogether abstain from passing judgment on issues they do not know...

Last edited:
I forgot about the necessity of an iC receiver for the illumination system to work automatically. Definitely an essential part for for those considering that feature.
One of my receivers is so equipped, but I have never considered buying a Zeiss or Blaser scope that works with it. I like the Leica design and it is easy to activate if needed - and only when needed.

I am in that same boat. I have IC on both my R8 because it came with them, but I do not have IC compatible scopes, nor do I think about getting some.

I do see value for a lighted reticle (at very low level) on a Leopard twilight shot, and I well remember my predator night hunting days in the French Alps, or wild board in the German Black Forest, when such a lighted reticle would have been great, but it seems that deliberate and careful low-light shooting leaves plenty of time to turn "on" the scope.

It might be a case of "you don't appreciate it until you try it" but so far I have not missed it...

Most scopes have power saving features where the reticle turns off when the rifle is held in a vertical or other non-shooting position. I have one scope with IC activation, the rest I turn on right after I loaded the rifle. Change the battery once a year and it’s not a problem. IC is handy but non essential.

This may have been covered already, but who among you uses a red dot sight on your R8 for DG hunting? I have an interest in the Blaser RD20 or the Aimpoint H2 set up with Blaser mounts.
I considered and actually ordered a Trijicon RMR for my 416 barrel. After attempting shots at 100 yards with a reflex sight on another rifle, my mind was changed. The Trijicon was canceled and replaced with a scope because of my aging eyes.

As for red dot use on a smaller caliber rifles for driven style hunts, I have no experience. I’ve seen videos, and it looks like a lot of fun. If shot distances were kept to less than 100 yards AND I had a place to practice such an activity, I might consider it.

I currently have 2 reflex sights. One on a Springfield XD-m and the other one on my turkey shotgun. The shotgun one got beat to death and recently died. Turkey will be sighted with open sights this year. The one on the pistol continues to sustain abuse and is a great asset for close combat drills. Not exactly a DG rifle, but certainly DG ranges of under 50 yards. The sights are Vortex Venom. If I were to do it over again, I’d choose the RMR for the durability.

This may have been covered already, but who among you uses a red dot sight on your R8 for DG hunting? I have an interest in the Blaser RD20 or the Aimpoint H2 set up with Blaser mounts.

I now have a Leica Tempus 3.5 MOA red dot on my K gun .470 NE and it has really tightened my groups over iron sights that I can't see well anymore...

For example, here is what the rifle does at 50 yards (left target) and 25 yards (right target) standing off the sticks with practice Hornady DGS ammo that it does not like much. For the purpose of sighting the red dot I do not care at all about the barrels printing 4" apart at 50 yards, I keep the good stuff (Norma PH 500 gr Woodleigh FMJ & Weldcore RNSN) that groups half that size for actual hunting. The point here is that the red dot allows me genuine 1" group @ 50 yards from each barrel, and composite 1" to 2" groups with the right load.

Note: heck! even if I only had Hornady ammo I would shoot the left barrel first on a brain shot and use the right barrel as a backup body shot...

50 yard & 25 yards groups off the sticks Hornady 500 gr DGS.jpg

While I did not want a scope on the double to not complicate its handling up close in dense bush, and I do not need magnification on a .470 double (a .500/.416 would be different), I went the other way for the R8.

For the .375 H&H 350 gr load (effectiveness on game quasi identical to .416 400 gr - ref. Kevin "doctari" Robertson) I have a Lecia Magnus 1-6x24 which has genuine 1x at the low end and 44 m field of view @ 100 yards with a 4A reticle and daylight central red dot. The eye piece and field of view are so large that at 50 yards it truly gives me the same function as the Tempus red dot, but I also have the option to crank up the magnification to 3x or 4x for shots in the 100 to 150 yards range. I could not care less than it goes to 6x, I would have happily continued with a 1x-4x but they do not make them anymore, which I regret because a 4x eye box is typically 1/2" shorter than a 6x eye box...

In any case, using magnification the scope allows 1 MOA groups at 100 yards, which I am not certain the red dot alone would allow.

By the way, the group below again illustrates the eternal truth that no two bullets/loads shoot the same, even if designed to do so. The two shots on the right are Norma PH Woodleigh 350 gr FMJ, while the two shots on the left are Norma PH Woodleigh 350 gr Weldcore RN SN. For hunting purpose they do "shoot to the same point of aim" but in absolute truth, in my barrel at least, the RN SN shoots about 1MOA left of the FMJ... Oh well :)

Zero Blaser semi weight .375 H&H 350 gr FMJ & RN SN.jpg

I would recommend the ability to have some magnification on a R8 .416 barrel, now that best-quality DG scopes go down to genuine 1x and include a high intensity central red dot fully visible in any daylight condition.

Well.... round and round we go. I've somehow ended up with two R8s. Jaeger and Professional. Both 375 H&H.
Jaeger has semiweight fluted barrel. Professional has standard 17mm barrel.
Note the gap with the standard barrel mounted in the semiweight forend. Not too bad, but definitely noticeable.

20210413_213821.jpg
20210413_211615.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... round and round we go. I've somehow ended up with two R8s. Jaeger and Professional. Both 375 H&H.
Jaeger has semiweight fluted barrel. Professional has standard 17mm barrel.
Note the gap with the standard barrel mounted in the semiweight forend. Not too bad, but definitely noticeable.

View attachment 397685View attachment 397686
I'll be interested in your opinion on how you compare the two in the same caliber. Which combination you like better...for whatever reason...balance...weight...how they point...etc.

I'll be interested in your opinion on how you compare the two in the same caliber. Which combination you like better...for whatever reason...balance...weight...how they point...etc.

Well I'll tell ya. The Professional with it's standard weight barrel and 7lb 8oz bare weight is the best feeling and pointing of the two. The Jaeger with the standard weight barrel is almost as lively, but weighs a bit more at 7lbs 14oz. So 6oz heavier than the Professional with the same barrel.
Where the Jaeger wins is in it's beauty and the well designed cheek piece and full size recoil pad.
Where the Professional wins is in it's almost indestructible stock material and lighter weight.

If the fluted semiweight barrel is installed on the Jaeger, the weights jumps up to 8lbs 4oz. Another 6 oz jump in weight. So the Jaeger in semiweight configuration is a full 12oz heavier than the Professional with it's standard weight barrel. Although this combination feels very solid, it loses some portability, but is still none too heavy for a 375. Although I prefer the lighter weight options myself.

I considered and actually ordered a Trijicon RMR for my 416 barrel. After attempting shots at 100 yards with a reflex sight on another rifle, my mind was changed. The Trijicon was canceled and replaced with a scope because of my aging eyes.

As for red dot use on a smaller caliber rifles for driven style hunts, I have no experience. I’ve seen videos, and it looks like a lot of fun. If shot distances were kept to less than 100 yards AND I had a place to practice such an activity, I might consider it.

I currently have 2 reflex sights. One on a Springfield XD-m and the other one on my turkey shotgun. The shotgun one got beat to death and recently died. Turkey will be sighted with open sights this year. The one on the pistol continues to sustain abuse and is a great asset for close combat drills. Not exactly a DG rifle, but certainly DG ranges of under 50 yards. The sights are Vortex Venom. If I were to do it over again, I’d choose the RMR for the durability.

I still use Aimpoints for close and distance shooting, however 500mt shots with them are now past my eye sight ability. The day will come where I do need magnification for 100mt shots. That is when I can no longer clearly see a rabbit at this distance. Getting old is a bitch but it is better than the alternative. :giggle:

Horses for the courses. I use Red dot sights on my DG rifles when the shots are going to be 50 meters or less. Might stretch to 75 yards but for beyond that a scope is more suitable for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the threads on the Blaser R8. I own a Sauer 404 with barrels 300 Win Mag and 404 Jeffrey. Both guns are manufactured by the same Company and very similar to each other.
Now is my question...Please give your most honest opinion both Pro & Con on both guns and barrels from the Sauer and Blaser Group.

To go to the Blaser optics question, I believe that Blaser Group purchased Minox, and Minox is now producing Blaser scopes under their banner. Based on this belief, I have chosen to use Swaro and S&B scopes on my Blaser barrels (as well as one leupold which has performed wonderfully). While Minox is a respectable scope, in my opinion Swaro and S&B’s glass is better. And the price point is actually in Swaro and S&B’s favor if not the same from when I was comparing prices with Blaser scopes. I do think the iC tech is cool, but I haven’t found it to be something necessary to have in my hunting experience as I’ve always had time to illuminate my scope when needed. And other makers are coming out with that feature as well (I believe someone has mentioned Zeiss now has this feature). If I am mistaken, someone please let me know. I would also love to hear if someone has hunting experience with the Blaser scopes especially in low light conditions. I have only been able to handle them at the shows.

Yes, the Blaser Group does own Minox. However, Minox is not making their optics. Blaser bought S&B equipment to make their own scopes. This is what I was told by Blaser USA in San Antonio.

In another matter even Leica is now using Schott (Zeiss Group) glass to manufacture their sport optics lens. I suspect most others are buying their blanks from Zeiss too.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the threads on the Blaser R8. I own a Sauer 404 with barrels 300 Win Mag and 404 Jeffrey. Both guns are manufactured by the same Company and very similar to each other.
Now is my question...Please give your most honest opinion both Pro & Con on both guns and barrels from the Sauer and Blaser Group.

I wish I could, sincerely, but since I have never shot, disassembled, or seriously handled a Sauer 404, and have only ever superficially handled one at the SCI show, I am not qualified to give pros & cons.

This is not a cop out, I wish I had experience with the 404...

All I can say is that if it is engineered and manufactured anywhere near as well as my Sauer 90, it must be a very high quality rifle...

I am in the same boat as @One Day... having no real experience with the Sauer 404. I held one a few times, but that’s about it.

What I do know is that Blaser attaches its scope mount to the barrel, while Sauer attaches to the receiver. Is one more accurate than the other...I’m not sure.

Also, the Blaser magazine is right on top of the trigger vs being in front of it like every other rifle. This will make the Blaser rifle 3.5-4” shorter OAL for a given barrel length.

Lastly is what I believe is obvious, traditional bolt action vs straight pull and I’ll also incorporate looks into this. The way the Blaser looks is not traditional, where the Sauer very much is. The straight pull combined with the non-traditional magazine sets the Blaser apart.

Which is better? Not my call. I’m on record for liking the R8, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate beauty and functionality in another.

I own a Sauer 404 and love it. I have taken it to the Arctic and performed wonderful on Grizzly. I really enjoy the removable scope for shipping my gun in a pelican case. I have a synthetic stock for cold rainy weather but looking for a wood stock to Africa, but to find out I am looking at lots of $$$$ for a Grade 4 or better. Does anyone know where I may buy one at a reasonable price >

I own a Sauer 404 and love it. I have taken it to the Arctic and performed wonderful on Grizzly. I really enjoy the removable scope for shipping my gun in a pelican case. I have a synthetic stock for cold rainy weather but looking for a wood stock to Africa, but to find out I am looking at lots of $$$$ for a Grade 4 or better. Does anyone know where I may buy one at a reasonable price >
You may need to define your idea of "reasonable price", because when it comes to timber stocks...IMO they are anything but reasonable. From the looks of it, prices for the stock alone start at $4K for grade 4.

In my mind the terms "German engineering" and "reasonably priced" are mutually exclusive. But I also feel that you get what you pay for so maybe they are not mutually exclusive.

Keep in mind, I feel your pain. My wife's rifle is wood stocked and absolutely beautiful because that is what she wanted. Was it inexpensive? I really didn't pay attention because once she saw it, it was over and we were not leaving without it. Be very careful looking a pretty timber stocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg