Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

I have yes

I’ve never been able to top load .223 or 6.5 x55

After the video posted just now I tried the 404 and gave it ‘a bit more wellie’
I could do it - just - but I’d not be confident reloading that way under pressure

Top loading a Mauser 98, for example, is pretty much effortless

perhaps the insert loosens up with a few repetitions?

I have yes

I could do it - just - but I’d not be confident reloading that way under pressure

It may. Honestly I don’t know. I don’t own one. Yet

I have yes

It doesn't require a lot of force. The rifle in the video is a 458 Win Mag, with a new magazine insert. So, the geometry of the 404/ultra mag magazine should be very similar in regards to the force it takes to load it.
If I were you, I'd try to master top loading. As you know, that's a far superior way of topping off your rifle when hunting. Having to totally remove the magazine to load it will take far longer, and will require you to take your eyes off the animal in front of you. That's my opinion anyway.

I shall persevere
I will admit that the first time I did it, I was apprehensive. It's not a like a CRF Mauser...of course nothing about the Blaser R8 is like a CRF Mauser aside from the fact that they both shoot bullets. After top loading the R8 a few times it becomes normal.

My R8’s 9.3x62 and .300 Wby are easy to load from the top. The .270 insert seems to have a little tighter tolerances and is a little tougher to align the round before pushing down.
For the cocking and decocking, I didn’t have an issue cocking the rifle, but decocking had a bit of a learning curve. @Toby458’s video gives a good demonstration of the cocking and decocking. However, for decocking, I found an alternative method where I use the side of my thumb. With either method, pushing slightly forward and then depressing while allowing the cocker to release does take some getting used to.

I have yes

Yes, mine did get easier to top load with use. Just keep doing it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felicia17I

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you