Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

Thanks Red Leg! That goes a long way for me on this decision, greatly appreciated. This is going to be pricey as I’m going to go full tilt when I pull the trigger, R8 Individual Success Leather stock/receiver in grade 7 or higher wood, fluted barrels semi-weighted with sights, new Swarvo rail mount glass (Z8i) on both barrels, Contessa QD mounts, Blaser Type C case, etc. Be my last rifle purchase and want it all perfect.

Am thinking the 1.7-13x42 for the 375 and the 2,3-18x56 for the 7x64. Think those combos give me a lot of flexibility, even for the few time the 375 will be used for DG.....thoughts?
Jeez - count me envious. You will have a fabulous world class setup.

Thanks Red Leg! That goes a long way for me on this decision, greatly appreciated. This is going to be pricey as I’m going to go full tilt when I pull the trigger, R8 Individual Success Leather stock/receiver in grade 7 or higher wood, fluted barrels semi-weighted with sights, new Swarvo rail mount glass (Z8i) on both barrels, Contessa QD mounts, Blaser Type C case, etc. Be my last rifle purchase and want it all perfect.

Am thinking the 1.7-13x42 for the 375 and the 2,3-18x56 for the 7x64. Think those combos give me a lot of flexibility, even for the few time the 375 will be used for DG.....thoughts?
I agree with @Red Leg on this being a very good set up, especially on the glass.
The one thing I would take into consideration is ammo availability.
If you move to the 270WIN, 30-06 or 308WIN you will most certainly have more choices.
However I do understand the want for the 7x64.
And if you reload, this is really not an issue.

@Fastrig you will be very happy with that combo. I went with the .300 WM barrel because others I hunt with have the same caliber and because it is so widely available. For deer and elk the 7x64 will do everything you need. And if you want to change it, another barrel is a small cost in the whole picture.

You might find yourself leaning to the .375 since the recoil is not so bad with the rifle. Consider adding the kick stop that Blaser makes, it is inexpensive ($300?) and easily removable.
The more I tinker with these R8s the more I realize the genius in their design.

Jeez - count me envious. You will have a fabulous world class setup.

Yea, never treated myself to anything like that and the wife said if I liquidate my other rifles to help offset the cost a bit, outside of my dad’s and gramp’s rifles, she would consider that our 30th anniversary present which is coming up next year. Still haven’t worked myself up to it quite yet, but getting closer. Will be rebooking our Africa trip in June for next February, assuming this health issue continues to get better, and imagine that will probably push me to pull the trigger.

I agree with @Red Leg on this being a very good set up, especially on the glass.
The one thing I would take into consideration is ammo availability.
If you move to the 270WIN, 30-06 or 308WIN you will most certainly have more choices.
However I do understand the want for the 7x64.
And if you reload, this is really not an issue.

i understand the 7x64 is quite common overseas. I’m able to find ammo state side more readily than i thought, even in bulk at decent prices. Thought about the others you listed, but think the 7x64 is a bit more unique, at least in the states, and really like the round and its performance the more I read up on it. Can alway add a barrel at a later date if I want a different option, reason I’m going with the R8.

@Fastrig you will be very happy with that combo. I went with the .300 WM barrel because others I hunt with have the same caliber and because it is so widely available. For deer and elk the 7x64 will do everything you need. And if you want to change it, another barrel is a small cost in the whole picture.

You might find yourself leaning to the .375 since the recoil is not so bad with the rifle. Consider adding the kick stop that Blaser makes, it is inexpensive ($300?) and easily removable.
The more I tinker with these R8s the more I realize the genius in their design.

Looking forward to the 375. Never owned one and the couple I shot in the past didn’t have that much recoil, at least that I recall. I’ll put the kickstop on the list, I’d looked at it but wasn’t sure it if was legit or more gimmicky.

My experience with the kick stop is probably a 20-30% reduction in recoil. I think they have 12 Oz and 16oz versions. Between the design of the device and the added weight, it works. It is not as effective in recoil reduction as a good muzzle brake.
I will be testing blaser’s recoil device for the ultimate stock soon. I installed it over the weekend, it added maybe 1-2 Oz of weight to the rifle.

My experience with the kick stop is probably a 20-30% reduction in recoil. I think they have 12 Oz and 16oz versions. Between the design of the device and the added weight, it works. It is not as effective in recoil reduction as a good muzzle brake.
I will be testing blaser’s recoil device for the ultimate stock soon. I installed it over the weekend, it added maybe 1-2 Oz of weight to the rifle.

Please let me know how you like the ultimate stock and that recoil device. I looked hard at that stock option as I liked what I was seeing, but couldn't find a lot of real world feedback from those that actually owned them. Be great for Alaska or where weather/climate is wet. Thanks!

Looking at putting the R8 into my gun safe. Already decided on the 375 H&H but looking at the second barrel and caliber that will get used a lot more than the 375, i.e. the all purpose caliber. Was going to go with a 300 win mag, but the more I review and read about the 7x64 the more I like it, and am starting to lean that way since most of my hunting doesn’t require a magnum. I know it means two bolt heads, but that doesn’t bother me as they are very fast to swap out. Would appreciate any thoughts you all have...thanks!

I’ve never shot the 7x64 but should be a great choice. Other choices could be .308 or .30-06. Maybe a .223 or .22 lr for practice, perhaps? I’ve done my limited hunting with .30-06 taking hogs, deer etc. in the States and all the way to wildebeest, zebra, and eland in Africa. I probably would’ve chosen the .375 for eland, but the .30-06 barrel was what I had on hand at the time and it did fine (with a tough bullet). I imagine the 7X64 could do a lot of work with similarly tough bullets . Get the bolt heads, you’ll add more barrels almost for sure!

Last edited:
I’ve never shot the 7x64 but should be a great choice. Other choices could be .308 or .30-06. Maybe a .223 or .22 lr for practice, perhaps? I’ve done my limited hunting with .30-06 taking hogs, deer etc. in the States and all the way to wildebeest, zebra, and eland in Africa. I probably would’ve chosen the .375 for eland, but the .30-06 barrel was what I had on hand at the time and it did fine (with a tough bullet). I imagine the 7X64 could do a lot of work with similarly tough bullets . Get the bolt heads, you’ll add more barrels almost for sure!

In my research I found it interesting that Norma lists the 30-06, 308 win, and 300 win mag as appropriate for up to Medium_4 (?) game but lists the 7x64 as appropriate for Large game. Not sure what their rational is on that but would have expected the 300 win mag, at least, to be appropriate for Large game class animals.

In my research I found it interesting that Norma lists the 30-06, 308 win, and 300 win mag as appropriate for up to Medium_4 (?) game but lists the 7x64 as appropriate for Large game. Not sure what their rational is on that but would have expected the 300 win mag, at least, to be appropriate for Large game class animals.
The recommendations on norma site are for bullet in selected caliber. In 7x64 Oryx is the best for large game but in 300WM the light oryx is intended as medium game and heavier A-frame for large game. It doesn't mean 165gn 300WM oryx would do less damage than 156gn out of 7x64

I have both the Z8i rail mount scopes in 1.7-13x42 & 2.3-18x56. I use the 1.7-13 on my 8x57 and the 2,3-18 on a .300Wby. Both are wonderful scopes. I like them a lot, I think the 1.7-13 is my favorite though and it would work well on either caliber. I don't know if you have considered the Z8i 1-8x24, I have one on my .375H&H and find it to be muy bueno. I think rail mount scopes are perfect for Blaser rifles.
IMG_1465.jpg
IMG_1464.jpg
IMG_1466.jpg

I have both the Z8i rail mount scopes in 1.7-13x42 & 2.3-18x56. I use the 1.7-13 on my 8x57 and the 2,3-18 on a .300Wby. Both are wonderful scopes. I like them a lot, I think the 1.7-13 is my favorite though and it would work well on either caliber. I don't know if you have considered the Z8i 1-8x24, I have one on my .375H&H and find it to be muy bueno. I think rail mount scopes are perfect for Blaser rifles. View attachment 337698 View attachment 337699 View attachment 337700

Did consider the 1-8x24 for the 375, actually that was my first inclination, however the more I thought about which way to go it just seemed the 1.7-13 would provide a bit more flexibility. If it was going to be strictly a DG option, then the 1-8x24 would be the choice, but hoping to use the 375 for more than just DG and a little extra magnification and light gathering wouldn't hurt. Sweet rifle/scope combos you have there!!!

The recommendations on norma site are for bullet in selected caliber. In 7x64 Oryx is the best for large game but in 300WM the light oryx is intended as medium game and heavier A-frame for large game. It doesn't mean 165gn 300WM oryx would do less damage than 156gn out of 7x64

Thanks....every round in the 7x64, 140-170 grain, is listed for large game, the 180 grain 300 win mag Oryx is listed for medium gain...went back and looked at the A-frame and it does say large game, as does one other option. Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out as I hadn't looked at all the options for the 300 win mag.

Several members PM me to request info on my R8 case build, so I thought I would post it here.

I deal with MyCaseBuilder.com. Their prices are the best I have found for a case with or without foam or for the foam only and their turnaround time is excellent. You get as many cuts as you want for the same price and freight, handling and delivery is $9.99!!!

I tried to attached PDFs of my cases here (I sentIf you were using shapes I have already created, his fees would be significantly less. them to others via email and can send to anyone who requests them) but could not get a file attached that was legible. I don't know if MyCaseBuilder.com can deal with a pdf as I have always sent AutoCAD files (.dwg) or similar to them. I carefully trace the items on very accurate 1" grid paper and then scale the "coordinates" of each point and the centers of the curves and radius of each arc. I have a Surveyor friend who makes the AutoCAD file from this data for about $100 to $150 per case (1 layer or 2). The result is so very professional you will be over the top pleased. You can try to create the desired shapes on the MyCaseBuilder.com site and I have used that tool for several cases made for cameras and the like but I have been unable to create the shapes I desire for a firearms case using this tool.

I had MyCaseBuilder.com make me a Pelican Storm IM3200 case for my Blaser Professional stock with trigger installed, a .300 WBY barrel with a Zeiss VARIPOINT M 3-12 X 56 iC T scope attached and a .22-250 barrel with a Leupold VARI-X III 4.5 x 14 Scope. The .300 WBY has a muzzle break so it is about 1.5 - 2" longer than a Standard Blaser Barrel. The bolt carrier is packed separately (1.3 - 2.25) and there are places for a Blaser tool and a non-Blaser screwdriver as well as a sling (2.25), Leupold Rangefinder (long rectangle 2.25) , Blaser bolt (0.8), magazine insert (1.4), flashlight (1.6), knife (0.8 - 1.25), Bore Snake (2.0), Scope cloth (2.0), disk batteries (1.6) and round batteries. Unfortunately, I did not account for the bolts on the Blaser barrel or the Switch View levers I added to the scopes in this design.

I am having foam cut for an existing case I already own. I have two Pelican 1615 AIR cases, O.D. 32.58" x 18.40" x 11.02", I.D. 30.125" x 16.125" x 9.3125". I will pack my ammunition and my clothes in one and in a carry-on (I hunt for 10 days or so and tour with my wife for the second 10 days, so I need more clothes than for just a hunt) and the firearms in the other. These cases exactly reach the limit of airline permitted dimensions (L+W+H=62”) and are sturdy but light. They are not as bullet proof as a Pelican Storm Case, but nothing is. Go to MyCaseBuilder.com for more information on one site than you will find anywhere. They have a large number of cases from many suppliers, all very well priced and can custom cut foam for all of them.

The upper "tray" for my Pelican Air Case has a reinforcing PVC layer and nylon strap lifting handles. The upper "tray" holds a Blaser Professional Safari stock and a Krieghoff Classic 5 Double Rifle stock, a Blaser bolt carrier, three magazine inserts, Blaser tools, flashlight, Blaser bolt, a Leupold VX5 HD 2-10X42 scope on a Blaser Mount with Butler Scope Covers and a SwitchView lever, batteries and a sling.

The lower foam layer will hold my .300 Wby barrel with muzzle break, a Leupold VX5 HD 1-5X24 scope on a Blaser Mount with a Butler objective lens Scope Cover and a SwitchView lever, a Zeiss VARIPOINT M 3-12 X 56 iC T scope on a Blaser Mount with a Butler Scope Covers and a SwitchView lever, a J Sips & Sons .458 Lott Selous profile Barrel (22 mm at muzzle - I believe this is identical to a Blaser Safari barrel), the .470 NE double barrel for the Krieghoff with a Trijicon RMR red dot sight and the forearm installed and a Blaser Standard Profile .375 H&H barrel with sights, plus two spaces for accessories, bore snakes and Rem-Oil pouches. The Blaser barrels all have provisions for the bolts (0.75" depths). The barrels have finger holes for extracting the barrels.

An alternate case would be the Pelican Storm iM2950 Custom Foam Case (I.D. 28.875" x 18" x 10.375") with two trays and three layers of accessories but I don’t think a Blaser Professional Stock will fit and the total of all dimensions is 63.9 putting it over the 62” Airline maximum. A PELICAN STORM case with the following specifications would be an absolute winner with many travelers and especially many hunters.

• OD dimensions totaling no more than 62” (to keep the Airlines happy and to avoid ridiculous extra charges for being oversized)
  • ID length of 32 inches (to allow a Blaser Stock and other breakdown rifles to fit)
  • Sufficient depth for two layers of foam and foam in the top cover so that scopes, stocks, barrels and accessories all fit into one case.
  • The ideal case would be OD = 36.3 x 16 x 9.7 (=62”) ID = 34.0 x 13.6 x 8

Hope this helps.

Ed Lally

The foam inserts (2 layers + bottom filler and top of case filler) for my Pelican Air 1615 case came today. This case is at the exact limit of the dimensions allowed by the airline and is exactly the same as the case I pack my clothes in. Here are some pictures. Not sharp as I lessened quality to fit through servers.

Unfortunately, as shown with Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, 3 Blaser barrels and three scopes, plus Krieghoff Classic Five & RMR (over 12#), plus tools and accessories, total weight = 55.5#.

My Safari Package is the Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, .458 Lott barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope and the Krieghoff, plus tools and accessories. Just under 50#.

If I was going for PG, I would take my regular Blaser stock (lighter than Safari Model), .300 WBY barrel and scope, .22-250 barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope, plus tools and accessories (less than 50#)!!!!

If you want more info, email me at ed@edlally.com.

Botom Layer Foam (002).jpg

Bottom Layer Filled (002).jpg
Top Layer Foam (002).jpg
Top Layer Filled (002).jpg

The foam inserts (2 layers + bottom filler and top of case filler) for my Pelican Air 1615 case came today. This case is at the exact limit of the dimensions allowed by the airline and is exactly the same as the case I pack my clothes in. Here are some pictures. Not sharp as I lessened quality to fit through servers.

Unfortunately, as shown with Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, 3 Blaser barrels and three scopes, plus Krieghoff Classic Five & RMR (over 12#), plus tools and accessories, total weight = 55.5#.

My Safari Package is the Blaser Safari Stock w/ Steel Receiver and Kick Stop, .458 Lott barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope and the Krieghoff, plus tools and accessories. Just under 50#.

If I was going for PG, I would take my regular Blaser stock (lighter than Safari Model), .300 WBY barrel and scope, .22-250 barrel and scope, .375 H&H barrel and scope, plus tools and accessories (less than 50#)!!!!

View attachment 339496
View attachment 339497 View attachment 339498 View attachment 339499
THAT IS AWESOME!!!!
I'm at a loss for words...
Friends will tell you that doesn't happen much.
Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 339496
View attachment 339497 View attachment 339498 View attachment 339499
That is amazing.

I have taken a different approach with the R8, and I hasten to add - not a better one - but different. I am all about reducing travel load - probably a function of too many years in the military. The wonderful thing about the R8 for me is that I can take a .375 to Africa in a very small, lightweight package. On my last trip, I used a Negrini designed for a single barrel R8 in takedown configuration. Were it legal, I could have brought it as take on luggage. And when I put it all together at the other end it shoots into exactly the same group it did when I left. Perfect.

So whether to bring a full a battery or to very easily transport a single caliber, Blaser's rifle is a remarkable solution.

Last edited:
That is amazing.

I have taken a different approach with the R8, and I hasten to add - not a better one - but different. I am all about reducing travel load - probably a function of too many years in the military. The wonderful thing about the R8 for me is that I can take a .375 to Africa in a very small, lightweight package. On my last trip, I used a Negrini designed for a single barrel R8 in takedown configuration. Were it legal, I could have brought it as take on luggage. And when I put it all together at the other end it shoots into exactly the same group it did when I left. Perfect.

So whether to bring a full a battery or to very easily transport a single caliber, Blaser's rifle is a remarkable solution.

My plan was to go with the Blaser Type C case so I could bring an extra barrel if i wanted to...it’s not much bigger than the Type B style but I agree that smaller when traveling is better. I’d probably put my optics in my carry on so may look for a Negrini case that is only for the rifle, would imagine a two barrel plus stock/receiver case with no optic sections would be pretty compact. Don’t know if they make one like that or not.

MyCaseBuilded.com will sell a case, foam for a case you already have or foam and a case. Their pricing includes unlimited cuts and shipping is $8.99. They stock every case from every manufacturer you can think of. The top layer is super tough foam and available in several colors. In the past, I laid out my parts on a piece of paper and determined the size of the case I needed and then found it on their website. Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross