AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cameroon
I purchased a Blaser R8 early 2021. I haven’t shot it too much, but am warming up to it and starting to really like certain aspects of it. I just had something really concerning happen though. I’ve shot the 300 win maybe 50 times, perfect every time. Today was first day shooting 375 H&H barrel. I often start with some dry fire on an empty. I put in an empty (shot with another rifle) and closed bolt very easily. After that I could not get it to release. It would begin to open maybe 1/8” but would not eject and because of bolt design I couldn’t force it like a standard bolt rifle. I eventually got it, but was one of the few times I really thought I may break I gun. I have one rifle this occasionally happens with, I can always get bolt throw open, then use a wood block to get bolt to stroke open, but this isn’t an option with R8. After clearing empty. I did shoot two rounds and they shot and ejected fine, but being unable to open bolt really concerned me. Is there any trick to force a Blaser bolt to to open in this circumstance? or does this thing not happen?

The trick is, not to use cases fired in another gun, for dry fire.

Blaser also does not recommend to use reloads,.... you will lost your warranty.

Read your manual thoroughly

HWL

In this instance you could probably use a cleaning rod down the barrel to tap out the empty case. I guess that could be a drawback of the R8 in that it doesn't cam open like a turn bolt. But I bet if you only use brass that's been fired in your R8, you won't have a problem.

In this instance you could probably use a cleaning rod down the barrel to tap out the empty case. I guess that could be a drawback of the R8 in that it doesn't cam open like a turn bolt. But I bet if you only use brass that's been fired in your R8, you won't have a problem.
I tried that, but didn’t work. Just took at lot of force on bolt at perfect angle. I won’t be putting in a brass that wasn’t fired from the rifle again, but wasn’t expecting this to happen like it did especially since I didn’t force it closed at all. Hopefully I will never see it happen again, but was concerning.

My wife and I have fired thousands of snap cap rounds through our rifles (375H&H and 300WM), but have always used A-Zoom Snap Caps in the appropriate caliber. Never had an issue. We also don't shoot reloads.

My Grandfather would often say "you can learn something from anyone...even if it's what NOT to do". I hope other R8 owners read this thread, because I had never heard of this happening. Glad it worked out for you.

Modern rifles can be dry fired with no issues. The old thing our fathers told us about not ever dry firing a gun are a thing of the past. Don’t put an empty shell in there.
Philip

I’m a new R8 owner with 4 barrels, I reload most of my ammo. I read something about the fact that Blaser are tight in the machining of their chambers to the point that certain factory ammo may be tight or may not fit.I don’t know how much truth there is in this statement.

I will be checking chambering of my reloaded ammo prior to my first few hunting trips. Will not be trying any spent brass.

Modern rifles can be dry fired with no issues. The old thing our fathers told us about not ever dry firing a gun are a thing of the past. Don’t put an empty shell in there.
Philip
Exactly!!!!!

Check the empty case, I wonder if the fire pin was stuck in the primer. That would give you the trouble you had.

On my R8, I can say I have given it an honest 1k dry fires empty. Have only fire 20 375h&h and 3 458Lott.

My comp AI, have dry fired no less than 300k times and well over 20k rounds. That a very conservative number.

Like others have said, you are not going to hurt it by dry fire, it's good economical practice.

Interesting. I won’t be putting a spent case in mine!
I keep a cleaning rod in my pelican, under the foam. It is there for a “just in case” moment like this. I’ve had some extraction issues with cheap, subsonic .22lr in the r8, but not with regular .22 ammo. (The cleaning rod fixed it)

Interesting. I won’t be putting a spent case in mine!
I keep a cleaning rod in my pelican, under the foam. It is there for a “just in case” moment like this. I’ve had some extraction issues with cheap, subsonic .22lr in the r8, but not with regular .22 ammo. (The cleaning rod fixed it)
Interesting. All I shoot out of my 22lr is subsonic and I’ve never had a problem. I believe it’s 1080 fps, so it’s right at the sound barrier.

No issues with reloads in .223 or 6.5 x 55

no issues with .22LR either

it does NOT like 5.56 GGG though!

Not surprising really as the shoulder is quite different from .223 apparently

Not sure if it is still the case, last time I checked no rifle manufacturer condones the use of reloads or improper ammunition.

DB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross