Black Bear in Coastal North Carolina

Good luck Phil! Now you've got me interested in making a short drive down to NC too!

Had a wonderful black bear hunt in British Columbia inland 10 years ago and got two bears, the biggest being 6,5 feet. Happy with that but would love to repeat the experience and get a 7,5 feet ++ black bear. Is Vancouver island the only option or can I expect the same from the above outfitters?

I live on Vancouver Island and do not have a 7'.5" BB rug or mount. Yes 6' + a few and attainable annually with work and luck. That 7' plus would be the bear we are all looking for, there are some here but very hard to find and even harder to shoot. Van isl and our hunting is changing, not as much logging and companies must deactivate old rds now. Bush is still so thick, bears are still here but access and seeing them is changing, becoming more difficult. I have never seen a bear on Island that even compares to the Carolina bears from the TV shows. Those 600 lb + plus Carolina bears still a bucket list hunt.

MB

I live on Vancouver Island and do not have a 7'.5" BB rug or mount. Yes 6' + a few and attainable annually with work and luck. That 7' plus would be the bear we are all looking for, there are some here but very hard to find and even harder to shoot. Van isl and our hunting is changing, not as much logging and companies must deactivate old rds now. Bush is still so thick, bears are still here but access and seeing them is changing, becoming more difficult. I have never seen a bear on Island that even compares to the Carolina bears from the TV shows. Those 600 lb + plus Carolina bears still a bucket list hunt.

MB
Thanks Mark. That is valuable info. I mistakenly thought that Va Island had very big bb. Then I will def check the above mentioned outfitters. Thanks.
regards, Jon

Van Isle does have big bears, compared to most other areas they are hunted. But body size wise they do not compare to the 600 lb + Carolina monsters. No baiting allowed here so spot and stalk, makes things more fun/difficult. If you are looking for the biggest bodied bears, Phil has it correct, Carolinas are where you need to hunt.

MB

Dare and

Dare and Hyde are Couties that encompass a huge area. .. So you talked to one outfitter ... I live here and know quite a few

@Big2Na I believe the name of the outfitter I talked with at the HSC had "Dare and Hyde" in their name. Don't know about Couties, but I hear they are names of Counties in northeast NC.

So since you live there and know quite a few outfitters, would you mind sharing some info with the forum and range of prices? As I mentioned before, the outfitter I talked with was expensive, day rate and pretty high trophy fees.

1617984121796.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg