Binocular suggestions

I know this is a little bit old, but I don’t see them listed and think they need added. As far as I can tell Maven optics are the only binoculars made in United States (even leupold binoculars are made in China sadly). I have 2 pairs a small 10x30 and a larger 11x45. I’m extremely impressed with both, glass quality is comparable to German binoculars but the price is much better (as of now) because they only sell directly.

Another vote for Zeiss binoculars here. I have the Conquest HD 8x42's and the 8x32 T*FL binoculars. I had an issue with one of the eyecups on the 8x42's, when it would start to unscrew one of the eyepieces. I was able to fill out a repair request online then send them into the Zeiss Repair Center. Zeiss let me know when they were received, within a day let me know what repairs would be done, and an expected turnaround (6-8 weeks). A day later they were repaired and I received them today (I actually only live 25 miles away). Both eyecups replaced, outside cleaned, re-worked the focus drive, checked alignment, zero reset and the hinge was lubed. Took 5 days once they were at the repair center.
All done under warranty, no charge. These are 10 year old bino's. I was happy to say the least with the entire process. I paid to ship them but they paid for the return by Fedex, very well packed. I'm a fan.

If you are a hunters ed instructor, outfitter, guide, or work in the industry, you can get a Leica 10x42 geovid for $1125. Includes a built in rangefinder!

thats the best glass at that price. $400-$800 doesn’t get you much you’ll be proud to own in 5 years.

If you don't mind porro binoculars, the Swarovski Habicht are hard to beat and $1100 new. I would advise shopping Astromart, Birdforum, or Cloudy Nights for sales to find pristine used alpha binos at reasonable prices. Check Birdforum's blogs for reviews on just about everything offered worth having. I hate to admit it but--there are some high quality Chinese bins worth viewing due to strict quality control, including brands like Promaster, and ZenRay.

The Nikon Monarch HG 10x42mm are surprisingly good. Best FoV in class. To me, they're the best choice if comparing to Vortex, Meopta, and Zeiss in the sub $1000 price range.

My first pair of binoculars were a little camo rubber coated pair of bushnell’s. I was extremely thankful to receive them as a gift from my folks prior to my first hunting season. I hunted northwestern Montana with them until I left for the service. They were what I had and I made them work, much like the Savage 110E that I hunted with. After I got out in the world and had a decent job I bought several low-mid range binos. Until I started hunting AZ and NM, I was amazed that people would pay the prices listed for Swarovski and the like. My first elk hunt there with locals made me see the light or in reality the elk. They weren’t just brown and tan blobs on the side of a distant hill! Had I saved all the money I threw away on lesser bino’s I could have owned a pair of 10x42 Swaro’s. Kinda like coolers, if a guy sits down and thinks about how many “cheap”(60-90 dollar) igloo coolers you have bought and had the lids blown off or crack, the 400 dollar ones don’t seem so expensive when you may never have to replace them.
moral of the story is make due with what you have and save another thousand bucks and buy a pair of lifetime binoculars, you will never regret it.

Question for those with the Swaroski CL Companion 8x30 binos:

Will the Rick Young Outdoors strap work with these? I understand the harness attachment point on the Companion CL's is an oddball.

The Rick Young gear uses a split ring hooked to the binoculars.

I currently have a couple of binoculars rigged with Rick Young gear and like it. Thinking about the smaller Swaro CL Companions for use in SA.

Thanks,
Joe

I recently went through this very dilemma. I ended up with a set of vortex Diamond back 8x42 with Vortex harness and pouch. Optics wise, for sub $450 AUD they are goo and i'm happy with them.Are they swaro or Lieca quality. Nope but nor should they be? So why did i go for them? Cost vs usage. $3200 AUD for the Swaro 8.5x42 or Leica equivalent as much as I'd like with a young family I couldn't justify the $$$ at my current point in time. For that I can build memories and experiences with my boys and to me thats more important. Who knows oneway they might even buy the old man a set! :LOL:

To the OP if you haven't purchased yet, Check out the Swaro El range

cheers

TW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois