AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
G'day,

Question for the locals on the forum.

I'm going to have a crack at Biltong, the only thing that seems inconsistent in recipes is that some say put a few sprinkles of vinegar on the meat while others suggest basically soaking it in vinegar for a few hours.

Any advice is appreciated.

I have only dipped in vinegar.

G'day,

I'm going to have a crack at Biltong, the only thing that seems inconsistent in recipes is that some say put a few sprinkles of vinegar on the meat while others suggest basically soaking it in vinegar for a few hours.

Put the meat slices in a plastic tub and season well then sprinkle apple cider vinegar on it and leave it overnight. Hand to dry the next day in a clean area. Monitor it until ready. Enjoy!
I’ve made it a few times here and in Namibia.
Philip

You can’t bring biltong home but you can buy the spice mix.

G'day,

You can also mix the vinegar with Wostchestershire Sauce. The mix is 50/50. It adds great flavour to biltong .
Easiest way is to use one of those Sports Squeegee bottles and give each piece of meat a few squeezes from the bottle.
I believe overnight is too long, and usually stuck to 6 hours.
Keep in mind that the longer it stays in the brine, the saltier it gets.

Yeah, I learned this the hard way after getting busted by the department of agriculture beagle at Dulles.

ha, ha! dept of ag. took my 2kg. of biltong from me as well! dang! i bet they ate it at home.

JPbowhunter,
the squeeze bottle technique seems the easiest method i have used. i built a biltong dryer out of a clear tote, it works great, takes 4 days to dry meat.

i have let sit in the spice and vinegar overnight, and that has worked for me, but like so many things it is about your personal taste buds. i was able to bring a bag of crown national biltong spice back from SA. you can also order it on line.

the locals seemed to prefer a little bit of fat on their biltong and i have grown to like a bit of fat on mine as well.

KMG SAFARIS is also right about the length of time in brine makes it saltier, i like mine salty :)

Yeah, I learned this the hard way after getting busted by the department of agriculture beagle at Dulles.
Those beagles don’t miss much

I add apple cider vinegar with worcestshire sauce and a little honey, let soak at least 2 Hours and add any spices

D521C7EC-1A92-43BF-A287-BC795C9F8163.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg