Big changes coming at American Hunting Rifles

They are all loaded from the magazine. The first round extracted from chamber. Then the ejector frees it loose. The round just sits on the top of the round in the magazine. loose looking at me saying what is next. Does not fall out or say spring out
Wow, that’s strange. Maybe the extractor spring is weak? What about subsequent cartridges loaded from the magazine?

Wow, that’s strange. Maybe the extractor spring is weak? What about subsequent cartridges loaded from the magazine?
Rest of them eject perfectly. It is the first one that is a problem. It only takes 3 in the magazine. Only way 3+1 is by cycling the first round in the chamber and open the bottom metal and load the other 3. May be the springs are weak.

@krish Not that this thread is a help, but it's a known potential issue:

A thread on another forum had CZ stating dirt/debris in the spring or a bent ejector.

With wayne posting here, maybe he can lend some advice on CZs in leui of taking the work himself?

Rest of them eject perfectly. It is the first one that is a problem. It only takes 3 in the magazine. Only way 3+1 is by cycling the first round in the chamber and open the bottom metal and load the other 3. May be the springs are weak.
Hopefully one of the gunsmiths here will chime in on what could be the issue?

I have heard that about the ruger 375. I like the H&H , never will warm up to the ruger. Always wanted a Rigby, never really longed for a Remington, except for the 25/06, love that little cartridge!

It is nice we have such a selection. Without it the world would be a boring place.

same bullet at same speed does same job.
bruce.
Yes, but you can't re-barrel to a 450 Rigby or 550 Magnum nearly as easily as a rifle that natively handles the 416 Rigby which is why I'm wanting a Rigby vs a Rem.

Hopefully there's other gunsmiths than can/do offer similar work. I was looking forward to sending a rifle to AHR once I get it.

My CZ in 458 lott loads 6 down in the mag, that first round will generally catch a bit when loading but I didn't expect it to actually fit 6 down in the mag, so I'm fine with that, as that round gets loaded immediately and will be in the chamber while out hunting. If I just load 5 down it'll feed that first round fine.

Federal 500gr trophy bonded bearclaws have fed and ejected fine from my working of it so far, I've got over a case of this ammo as well, so hopefully that keeps working out.

Was considering converting this to 505 gibbs in the future at AHR, so this is a bummer, tricky conversion, don't know where a guy could go and get this done reliably, now...

My lightly used Lott had/has some feeding issues with factory 500gr Nosler Partitions. It looked like the bolt face wasn’t capturing the cartridge rim quick enough before the cartridge attempted to enter the chamber and the bullet would occasionally get stuck before entering the chamber. I put a little Break Free in strategic places on the action and the last three quick cycles with full magazines was smooth with no stoppages. I’ve ordered a new magazine follower spring from CZ as it seems more spring tension might snap the cartridge rim into the bolt face quicker? I also just need to cycle the action a lot more until it smooths out. This rifle, probably like most used large bores, had been fired very little before I acquired it. Ironically, it feeds factory 450gr Barnes WM just fine.
Try looking at your bolt face. Pay particular attention to the ridge on the right of the bolt and the bottom edge of the extractor. The rim rides up the face and then the ridges and extractor as it loads. So you may need to polish the edges that it rides on and maybe soften the angles a little.

Try looking at your bolt face. Pay particular attention to the ridge on the right of the bolt and the bottom edge of the extractor. The rim rides up the face and then the ridges and extractor as it loads. So you may need to polish the edges that it rides on and maybe soften the angles a little.
Nhoro,
Yes, the bolt face where it picks up the cartridge below the extractor is uneven. I think you’ve solved my dilemma. This shouldn’t have left the factory like this.
Thanks!
CEH

4C3AA752-C4D8-4E00-A7CB-4A454892F289.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nhoro,
Yes, the bolt face where it picks up the cartridge below the extractor is uneven. I think you’ve solved my dilemma. This shouldn’t have left the factory like this.
Thanks!
CEH
Cool. Glad it helped. I spent countless hours getting my CZ to feed well. When it works, you see the beauty of mausers design and why it is considered the king of DG actions.

My CZ in 458 lott loads 6 down in the mag, that first round will generally catch a bit when loading but I didn't expect it to actually fit 6 down in the mag, so I'm fine with that, as that round gets loaded immediately and will be in the chamber while out hunting. If I just load 5 down it'll feed that first round fine.

Federal 500gr trophy bonded bearclaws have fed and ejected fine from my working of it so far, I've got over a case of this ammo as well, so hopefully that keeps working out.

Was considering converting this to 505 gibbs in the future at AHR, so this is a bummer, tricky conversion, don't know where a guy could go and get this done reliably, now...

You could contact Harlan Satrang at Triple River Gunsmiths. He converted my CZ 550 from 375 H&H to 500 Jeffery. If you do, make sure you get a magazine follower machined specifically for the 505 Gibbs. Every little detail counts, When it's right, the CZ 550 is a wonderful rifle. He typically uses McGowan barrels. My 500 Jeffery is a 1 in 10" twist 24" barrel. It is incredibly accurate. Two 3 shot groups at 50 yards (I only shot for groups at 50 yards, because with a Leupold 1-5x scope I found my consistency of hold limited by the magnification (like to add no more than a 1/16" of hold error when I shoot for groups.

BD0shRU.jpg
mOXPJI5.jpg
Ti0lQWX.jpg

You could contact Harlan Satrang at Triple River Gunsmiths. He converted my CZ 550 from 375 H&H to 500 Jeffery. If you do, make sure you get a magazine follower machined specifically for the 505 Gibbs. Every little detail counts, When it's right, the CZ 550 is a wonderful rifle. He typically uses McGowan barrels. My 500 Jeffery is a 1 in 10" twist 24" barrel. It is incredibly accurate. Two 3 shot groups at 50 yards (I only shot for groups at 50 yards, because with a Leupold 1-5x scope I found my consistency of hold limited by the magnification (like to add no more than a 1/16" of hold error when I shoot for groups.

View attachment 380948View attachment 380949View attachment 380950
Do you know if they are in business any more? I have heard due to health issues they closed. Their website is gone as well.

Do you know if they are in business any more? I have heard due to health issues they closed. Their website is gone as well.
Yep, I think with our CZ 550s we’ve been relegated to the “bubba” gunsmiths. Hopefully not!

Just received my CZ in 375 H&H back from Wayne after getting a new stock. Superb work and always a pleasure to do business with. Fit between the barreled action and wood is better than any rifle I own. I am grateful for all of his work on my rifles.

66A4851E-C6B1-4CA2-BFD9-20B27BE941B9.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg