Big changes coming at American Hunting Rifles

Not very comforting, my son is going to have a CZ 458 Lott under the tree
I still believe the CZ is a good choice and I have a barely used Lott too. I’m hoping Triple River is still doing 550 upgrades, but for a business, they need to be more accessible to their customers. I called CZ this morning and ordered a new magazine follower spring for my Lott. Excellent service through their parts department and order completed in a couple of minutes.

Not very comforting, my son is going to have a CZ 458 Lott under the tree next week.
I purchased a new CZ 550 in 458 Lott this spring. The rifle has been flawless, feeds great and is getting smoother after every outing. I did put a Bell and Carlson stock on it , as I heard about them being a bit hard on wood.

The rings gave me some troubles at first , heavy scope and not having the Qd levers tightened enough I believe were the problem, all is good now though. I did not have the elevation issues that some members here have reported. I haven't on any of my 550's so I may have been lucky, I always seem to have good luck though.

As much as I like it the AHR custom rifles , and the pics I have seen of many of the AHR upgrade packages, are much easier on the eyes. They make some beauties.

Both are good rifles, but I’m glad to see AHR focus on the Model 70. It is really much more refined of an action and stock pattern.
Just keep in mind...
Rigby was using CZ550 actions for their rifles.
The level of refinement is in the finishing, not the action itself.
CZ didn't put the time into it that Rigby did.
But they didn't charge Rigby prices either.

Not saying the M70 isn't a fine action...it is.
They both have their strong points.
And for all the similarities, are very different rifles.

The CZ stock...I'll concede that point.
It's bulky and blocky...some would call "sturdy".
Where the M70 is sleeker, but at the cost of magazine capacity.

I’ve tried to contact Triple River Gunsmithing. I know they used to be CZs custom shop, but I don’t know if they still are? No answer by phone and their website is jacked up.
I thought I read on AH several months back that "Harlan" the owner of Triple River Gunsmithing had health issues and was closing and or did close his doors so to speak.

I thought I read on AH several months back that "Harlan" the owner of Triple River Gunsmithing had health issues and was closing and or did close his doors so to speak.
Oh ok, I guess I missed that. That's a shame about his health issues and I hope he's doing well.

Can you fit the 416 Rigby in the model 70 action easily? I think AHR has their stocks made as well.

I don't see anywhere where they are doing model 70 upgrades and not CZ?

Both are good rifles, but I’m glad to see AHR focus on the Model 70. It is really much more refined of an action and stock pattern

Their website still does show their Dangerous Game rifle using the 550 action, with a very impressive amount of calibers offered .

I don't see winchester actions mentioned anywhere , at least at this time. Not sure if You could fit the 416, 450 Rigby, or the 500 Jeffery among other in this action the way it comes from Winchester.

For those of you with new .458 Lott CZs, make sure you cycle the loaded magazine and action at high speed several times with different bullet shapes to see if the bullet of the cartridge feeding into the chamber catches on the sharp edge of the throat where the barrel starts. Obviously this is a dangerous problem when guiding or hunting DG. Mine jammed several times and Wayne fixed it. I cannot get any bullet to jam now.

This interesting point.
D
Did anybody, with factory cz or zkk rifle, (non rebarelled) caliber 375 and up had experienced feeding problems? If yes, what was the ammo? What shape?

This interesting point.
D
Did anybody, with factory cz or zkk rifle, (non rebarelled) caliber 375 and up had experienced feeding problems? If yes, what was the ammo? What shape?
Not sure about other calibers but it is a fairly well known problem with the CZ in .458 Lott. Mine jammed at high speed feeding with A-Square 465gr round nose, Hornady 500 gr round nose and Barnes 500gr spitzer shaped bullets - everything I tried.

I haven't heard of many feeding problems in the Lott, I have heard of quite a few in the 458 winchester in the big cz action.

I haven't tried the a square , or the 500 Hornady, but I have not had problems with any I have tried in my Lott. Same with my 416 Rigby so far. 375 H&H just feeds everything perfect , at least mine do, so far.

My 375 H&H had always fed and extracted without issues. Wayne has done upgrades on CZs in 7x57, 30-06, and 375 for me and all function perfectly. His work and expertise will be missed I’m sure.

One of my cz 550 416 rigby won't eject the first round out. Just sits there loose on top of incoming round from the magazine preventing to cycle the next round in to chamber. I have not checked the rest of the 416's. Any ideas or suggestions.
Krish

My lightly used Lott had/has some feeding issues with factory 500gr Nosler Partitions. It looked like the bolt face wasn’t capturing the cartridge rim quick enough before the cartridge attempted to enter the chamber and the bullet would occasionally get stuck before entering the chamber. I put a little Break Free in strategic places on the action and the last three quick cycles with full magazines was smooth with no stoppages. I’ve ordered a new magazine follower spring from CZ as it seems more spring tension might snap the cartridge rim into the bolt face quicker? I also just need to cycle the action a lot more until it smooths out. This rifle, probably like most used large bores, had been fired very little before I acquired it. Ironically, it feeds factory 450gr Barnes WM just fine.

One of my cz 550 416 rigby won't eject the first round out. Just sits there loose on top of incoming round from the magazine preventing to cycle the next round in to chamber. I have not checked the rest of the 416's. Any ideas or suggestions.
Krish
Isn’t the bolt extractor capturing the rim of the first cartridge from the magazine and then chambering it and subsequently extracting the cartridge from the chamber? From your description, it almost sounds like you tried to load the first round singly and not from the magazine? I’ve tried that with my CZs and the extractor won’t snap over the rim. That WILL work on my Interarms Whitworth, but I only load from the magazine anyway for fear of breaking the extractor.

Isn’t the bolt extractor capturing the rim of the first cartridge from the magazine and then chambering it and subsequently extracting the cartridge from the chamber? From your description, it almost sounds like you tried to load the first round singly and not from the magazine? I’ve tried that with my CZs and the extractor won’t snap over the rim. That WILL work on my Interarms Whitworth, but I only load from the magazine anyway for fear of breaking the extractor.
They are all loaded from the magazine. The first round extracted from chamber. Then the ejector frees it loose. The round just sits on the top of the round in the magazine. loose looking at me saying what is next. Does not fall out or say spring out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois