Big cats

cwpayton

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 8, 2023
Messages
970
Reaction score
2,055
Location
nevada
Media
16
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
B,C. Canada Nevada,Ca. ,Georgia, Arkansas africa 1
Just wanted to share these 2 toms ,lates ones, 2nd one standng was taken from mountain behind my ranch and has been a hard one to get, now the deer will sleep easy. as will I.

feb13.jpg
feb22 tom.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t realise they get that big
 
A critter I have always wanted for the wall! Unfortunately everyone I knew that used to run them with hounds has stopped doing so before I was in a position to join. Good on you for keeping the deer and elk protected!
 
Excellent. More need to be taken. It took me two VERY physical hunts to get mine. I'm just glad it didn't take 3 times! The guide and I both had the flu and both threw up climbing out of the canyon. Cats can be super tough.

IMG_1269.jpeg
 
If you’re asking about my cat, I have no idea. We skinned it and started climbing out as the sun and temps were falling fast. We finished the climb in the dark.
 
IMG_1954.jpeg
IMG_1957.jpeg

One of our biggest. Almost 200 pounds.
 
Congrats to all of you, these are "Big Cats"
 
Excellent. More need to be taken. It took me two VERY physical hunts to get mine. I'm just glad it didn't take 3 times! The guide and I both had the flu and both threw up climbing out of the canyon. Cats can be super tough.

View attachment 748000
Love the color!
 
Just wanted to share these 2 toms ,lates ones, 2nd one standng was taken from mountain behind my ranch and has been a hard one to get, now the deer will sleep easy. as will I.

View attachment 747989View attachment 747990
Holy smokes, CW--what a couple of GREAT cats.....got to admit to more than a little envy!

I have heard that cougars take out the biggest bucks from an area simply because the big bucks THINK they can stand and fight. Not hard to see how that would turn out. Any comment on that or is it another one of those myths about cats?
BTW, how DID you finally get that one you are standing with?
 
To answer part of your question...the cat we took was jumped off of this kill. The guide shook his head and said why did he have to take the biggest buck on the mountain? We could tell that he killed the buck in its sleep...like a ninja. No struggle in the snow. It certainly beats my best mule deer!

IMG_2047.JPG


IMG_2051.JPG
 
Holy smokes, CW--what a couple of GREAT cats.....got to admit to more than a little envy!

I have heard that cougars take out the biggest bucks from an area simply because the big bucks THINK they can stand and fight. Not hard to see how that would turn out. Any comment on that or is it another one of those myths about cats?
BTW, how DID you finally get that one you are standing with?
OH man, I hope not to mislead you, the pictures are of outfitter "clients "of my friend.. the big standup cat was hunted for a couple weeks before finally treeing not more than 20 mins from the rig. he had most recently been feeding on coyotes..! not sure about the big buck story as most kills are an ambush and fighting would be pretty much impossible with a 160 lb. cat on your throat. BIG cats are the assassins of the nature world. MY wife likes to hike the canyons around here , and I always tell her you need to take a pistol, and she always says IVE got my knife and then I say" not good to take a knife to a cat fight,". so Im glad the tom is gone, got recent pics of a female with 3 yearling cats if I can find them from close , stay tunned
 
To answer part of your question...the cat we took was jumped off of this kill. The guide shook his head and said why did he have to take the biggest buck on the mountain? We could tell that he killed the buck in its sleep...like a ninja. No struggle in the snow. It certainly beats my best mule deer!

View attachment 748746

View attachment 748747
wow nice you cold have him mounted with another skin.
 
To answer part of your question...the cat we took was jumped off of this kill. The guide shook his head and said why did he have to take the biggest buck on the mountain? We could tell that he killed the buck in its sleep...like a ninja. No struggle in the snow. It certainly beats my best mule deer!

View attachment 748746

View attachment 748747

Were you able to take the head? Would be cool to incorporate into a mount.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,306
Messages
1,572,320
Members
169,524
Latest member
hunverealo1973
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top