Big bores...just because?

zzzippperr

Reaction score
Hi, new member, first post. I will never be able to afford a safari but I love the lore of the safari. Does anyone else buy big bores to try to live vicariously? In the past I had a .458WM and now I have a .458 Lott on the way and I'm waiting for an opportunity to shoot a friends .416 Rigby. Not exactly plinking rifles but I like poking holes in paper and punishing my shoulder when it has been bad.

Hi and welcome, the big bores are just special! Dont be negative, for sure you will do a safari sometime, enjoy the big bang!

Welcome!

I love the BOOM! Got to shoot a .470 Nitro Express for the first time a few weeks ago and wow.... Loved it....

As far as not being able to afford a Safari goes my opinion is that if you if you can't "afford" it then you don't want to go bad enough. Save those pennies, plan, and find a way! Doesn't mean you can do a 21+ day Big 5 Safari every year, but you can go. :)

Welcome to AH! Gotta love the big hitters. My "go to" rifle has been my Lott but love shooting anything that will loosen up a shoulder, 416-460.;)

Welcome to AH, my favorite gun is the 7mm Rem Mag. I own a few big bores though. It can be fun in short bursts. Biggest gun is .458 WIN.

Welcome to Ah, and be positive about that safari :thumb:

Welcome to AH ,you can afford a safari just start putting away a few bucks a week ,still waiting for some some range time for my newly acquired 375 ,,shot a 50 cal a couple times wasn't that nuts about it

If you want to take a walk on the wild side buy my 600 NE single shooter. :thumb:

haven't had a chance to play with .400+ guns yet but I see no reason to not own one. in fact im currently hunting around for a inexpensive 458 WM. also, as far as im concerned ALL guns are plinking guns! I have a CZ in 375 H&H and ive been known to shoot 50 rounds in an afternoon for fun. to plink with big bores you need a basic reloading set up and the will to keep an eye out for deals on once fired brass and old stock bullets. I can reload my 375 H&H for around $0.75 (or less) a shot using once fired brass, old stock bullets, and bulk purchased WIN 760 powder. my best find to date has been 60 pieces of once fired Federal 375 H&H brass for $13 shipped.

as the others have said here: you can afford a safari, you just don't want to go. safari's can be had for pretty cheap if you steer clear of the big 5. a solid plains game hunt could be had for around $3000 and if you keep an eye on the international hunting deals section of this forum you will find outstanding offers!

-matt

Heck, if nothing else the big guns make range time with a 30-06 a breeze!

I love big bores, but sadly we have a limit of how many hunting guns(6) we can own in my country.
I can own more guns than 6, but they must be used for target shooting only.

The law is totally stupid and makes no sense, but how often does the laws the politicians decide on make much sense?.....

The only big bore I own now is a 375 Ruger, but I would love to own a 416 Ruger and something even bigger in a double.
With the 6 gun limit, I have no room for more big bores. I think a big bore should be used for hunting. Not much of a point in only plinking with in my opinion.

Even if you can't afford a Big 5 safari now, you can still use it for hunting other critters while you save up.
Sometimes I use my 375 Ruger when hunting Roe deer. A total overkill, but the gun needs to be out on a hunt now and then :)

That said, hunting some of the big game animals, doesn't need to be that expensive.
Specially if you only want to have the hunting experience and don't feel the need to bring home big trophies.

A hunt for a tuskless elephant cow is usually possible to do for a good price.
And why not try a Buffalo cow?
Like this offer:
http://www.africahunting.com/great-...alo-cow-hunt-special-all-inclusive-$3900.html

Or book any other great offer for PGs on this forum and bring your big bore :)

I love big bores, but sadly we have a limit of how many hunting guns(6) we can own in my country.
I can own more guns than 6, but they must be used for target shooting only.
The law is totally stupid and makes no sense, but how often does the laws the politicians decide on make much sense?.....
The only big bore I own now is a 375 Ruger, but I would love to own a 416 Ruger and something even bigger in a double.
With the 6 gun limit, I have no room for more big bores. I think a big bore should be used for hunting. Not much of a point in only plinking with in my opinion.

Even if you can't afford a Big 5 safari now, you can still use it for hunting other critters while you save up.
Sometimes I use my 375 Ruger when hunting Roe deer. A total overkill, but the gun needs to be out on a hunt now and then :)

That said, hunting some of the big game animals, doesn't need to be that expensive.
Specially if you only want to have the hunting experience and don't feel the need to bring home big trophies.

A hunt for a tuskless elephant cow is usually possible to do for a good price.
And why not try a Buffalo cow?
Like this offer:
http://www.africahunting.com/great-...alo-cow-hunt-special-all-inclusive-$3900.html

Or book any other great offer for PGs on this forum and bring your big bore :)

Now this we can agree on! :)

Just out of curiousity - how is it determined as to what constitutes a "hunting" vs. "target" rifle? Is it that you can only have six rifles that you are legal to hunt with, or are there caliber restrictions? In other words, if you already owned six hunting rifles, could you purchase a Heym 88 .470 nitro Express "target" rifle?

To hunt here in Norway, you either need to take a hunters course and pass an written exam. Or you need to have payed the national hunting tax(license) in 1986 or earlier.
Then you can apply to the police to buy a gun for hunting.
You can also apply for other guns if you do or want to do target shooting and no hunting exam is needed for that.
If you want to own hand guns, you need to be an active member of a hand gun shooting club for some time before you can apply for one.

Getting a buying permit for guns for target shooting and hunting is usually no problem as long as you don't have a criminal record.
There are some restrictions to what types of guns you can buy, but no caliber restrictions.
There are some caliber restrictions for what minimum calibers you need to use when hunting different animals.

Of the guns I have in my gun safe, 6 of them are registered at the police as "hunting" guns(rifles and shotguns). These are the only guns of the ones I own, I can legally hunt with.
My "target" guns, I can only use at a shooting range.
The "funny" thing is that I can let someone else borrow one of my "target" guns and he/she can legally hunt with it.
Politicians are smart, are they not?....

Sorry about the long winded answer, but I wanted to give a general and short explanation of Norwegian gun laws.

Very interesting. Thanks for explaining.

I have to remind myself of how easy it is in the U.S. in general and where I live down south in particular. Although I do have a limit on what guns I can own too, and what I can use them for. Two limits actually - my wife and my bank account!!! ;)

And politicians are nuts in any country!!! We ALL have that in common!!

Wife and bank account...limiting factors to many things.

Wife and bank account...limiting factors to many things.

Many, or all???? ;)

I tease about the wife actually. she is incredibly supportive of my hunting habit. something about me being in a better mood after a trip to the woods!

Many, or all???? ;)

I tease about the wife actually. she is incredibly supportive of my hunting habit. something about me being in a better mood after a trip to the woods!

If most women understood this, we as hunters would all be better off.

Many, or all???? ;)

the choice word that comes to my mind is every

If most women understood this, we as hunters would all be better off.

I'm incredibly lucky... My biggest complaint id=s that the wife on't go with me as much as I'd like....

And Bluey, every works. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg