Big Bore Addiction Group

As a side bar, I've been wondering why is this topic under ".375 and up" and not under "double rifles?"

because this thread "big bore addiction group" is about all firearms of 375 or larger and the people who love to shoot them. if you start at page one and read threw you will find mostly bolt action rifles discussed with a few single shots and doubles thrown in.

-matt

hi cal welcome aboard . ok now same as cody i would please like to know what make jack lotts .500 is, and who owned the .600? the history of the 450 at white hunters would be a bit long i think to go into if you knew any of it. cheers mike

Spike:
The .500 is a best quality nitro double with 24-inch barrels by Watson Brothers. I have a letter from Lott to a former owner mentioning the rifle. The .450 no2 is a Lang and is the finest double I've owned as to best quality features. It is slim and trim and a pleasure to carry. I've taken cape buffalo and grizzly with it. Owned by a J. Toft Esq., and made in 1904. Toft was a retired officer who went to Kenya to begin a hog farm after the Boer War and became a hunter. The rifle remained inKenya until 1956 when it was returned to the factory for repairs. The .600 was owned by Bill Pridham. When researching my book on the .600 and tracking down many vintage rifles I talked to John Northcote in Zimbabwe. He suggested I contact John B. and I did. John and his wife, Wendy (remember "Life With Father?"--that Wendy) live in Wales in the warm weather and winter at her family's farm house in Vermont--only a 20 minute drive from my mothers's home. I drove there when on the east coast and introduced myself. H and the .600 with me and John identified the rifle and wrote of it when he signed one of his books he wrote about his African experiences. Small world--John and Bill were partners for a time in Uganda where John set up that country's game department.

If you gents tell me how, I will post some pics here or on the double rifles page.

Also, my three books are hard cover, coffee table books on "The .600 Nitro Express" "The British Bore Rifle" and "The double Rifle Primer."They don't sell as well as Palin's books, but I'm not a good looking as Sarah.
Cheers,
Cal

thanks for that cal interesting hearing the history of the old rifles. someone will point you in the photo direction as the internet is very slow here at the moment, so if i try going to other pages and trying to put links up i will be here hours. thanks again for the info and photos would be good to see. got some photos of my lang .470 somewhere in that section. :D Beers:

Cal,
Are your books available on your website? As soon as I get to my desk top I will check your site out! Thanks for the info on your rifles, the history of a fine rifle is the icing on the cake. I got tasked with finding the history behind a four digit Colt SAA that fell into the Custer Colt Range. Turned out that the SAA was one off 200 stolen from a Fort in Ft. Stockton prior to being shipped to the 7th Cav. I found myself doing nothing but researching that firearm, having a great time and learned so much about the SAA along my voyage though history.
Cheers,
Cody

Dang you all! This site and thread have lightened my wallet.

When I was a teenager I dreamed of bears and buffalo. I thought a 375 H&H was all I would ever need. I mean the cartridge was positively daunting when comparing it to the 223 and 30-06 I was using on coyotes and deer respectively.

I have a big-bore that is a fun gun but I don't really want to hunt too much with it. It's a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 with a 34" barrel. A bit heavy and long for the deer woods. (I do plan on taking a deer with it once just to say I did) I load a 545 gr paper patched bullet at around 1500 just for plinking. I'd like to take it to the quigley shoot someday but I digress.

I still needed a full size hunting rifle.

Last fall I broke down and bought a Winchester M70 in 375 h&h. I thought it was going to be a powerhouse of manly recoil. I was wrong. It's downright plesant to shoot. Heck my duck gun with 3 1/2" shells kicks more. Not too comforting in the event of charging squirell or groundhog here in MO.

I needed more!!

So, yesterday I put in an order for a CZ 550 in 458 Lott with AHR upgrade #2 from Wayne. Now I get to wait.

While I'm waiting I've read this thread entirely. After reading you all I'm pretty worried that a .600 OK is in my future. I'm just a bit worried that the Lott won't be enough.

Also, I have some side arms in the big bore category. A couple of 44 mags. A Freedom Arms 454 on order. A S&W .500 8 3/8" that isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Heck, I shoot the thing one handed. Although, I did see a video of a Magnum Research BFR in 458 win mag that piqued my interest. Maybe I should find one of those to complement the AHR that is on order.

I really hope this big bore thing isn't contagious.

I really hope this big bore thing isn't contagious.

bad news... welcome to the big bore addiction group. :A Me You:

that AHR 458 Lott should be a great rifle! as you know already, im waiting on a 505 Gibbs from them.

assuming the 458 Lott doesnt stop you (and it probably wont) then one of the 50 caliber rifles would be a nice next step. both the 505 Gibbs and 500 Jeffery have solid reputations as large DG cartridges. if you hand load then the two cartridges are about even. if you dont hand load then the 500 Jeffery is a fair bit more powerful (and your rich cause these big guns aint cheap to shoot).

dont rule double rifles out of the equation though. a decent double in 500 NE is a true joy to shoot! Merkel has 500 NE doubles available for a decent price but make sure to buy new.

-matt

Austinkroe,
You cant take it to the grave with you, enjoy it while still upright and can handle the recoil. Nothing like the smell of gunpowder in the morning. You will love your FA, I have one in a 475 Linebaugh. Make sure to post pics of your AHR when it comes in. I'm Thinking about sending my 416 Rigby to them.

Cheers,
Cody

Cody:
My books are on my site. Take a look at the whole thing and I'd appreciate your feedback.
I've looked into Amazon but they want 70% to sell my books!
Another rifle I have is a .450-400 owned by Douglas Jardine, a famous cricket player in the '30s. Google him for an interesting story. He was also a big game hunter, contracted tick fever whilst in Zambia in 1957. He was also battling cancer and he died in 1958. I have the complete history of his Harrison and Hussey rifle. When I learn how to post pics, I will do so and begin new info on the double rifle pages.
Cal

Merkel has 500 NE doubles available for a decent price but make sure to buy new.

There's no need to turn down a used rifle. Just make sure that you get a 3-5 day inspection period that allows shooting it. Factory fodder of course or better yet shoot it with the owner and you'll probably make a new friend that's a big bore fan.

Cal, looking forward to those pics.
Here's how to upload a file/photo.
Just below the box you use to type a message in, there are three buttons. "Post Reply" "Upload a File" & "More Options"
Click "Upload a File"
Click "Choose File"
Click "Choose Existing" if the pic is on your PC/Tablet
Select the file you want to upload from you PC/Tablet
Once the file shows up in the que, choose Thumbnail or Full Image
The photo will the show up in the dialog box you are typing in.
Last step. Click "Post Reply" and you're done! Good luck (y)
image.jpg

Absolute stroker of a bull!

Yeah, I see him in my dreams on a fairly regular basis :D That main + extra beam really gets me goin'!
Buddy of mine sent me the pic. All I know is he is a Nevada bull.

There's no need to turn down a used rifle. Just make sure that you get a 3-5 day inspection period that allows shooting it. Factory fodder of course or better yet shoot it with the owner and you'll probably make a new friend that's a big bore fan.

i have bought two used doubles in the past and regret buying both of them. in both cases issues did not show themselves till after the inspection period was over. sadly i was only able to get a refund on one of them. the other rifle is currently a $11,000 paper weight. :(

the only exception to this rule would be the case of me buying your 450 NE double. in this case, i consider you a friend and know if something goes seriously wrong with the rifle that you wouldn't just tell me to pound sand like the last seller did.

-matt

Matt:
I'm curious about your $11K paper weight. If it was a new production double I can see problems. In a vintage double, such as the .500 and .577 bpe I showed you at the shoot, if they have been around and shooting for 130+ years, one has confidence they are well broken in and will continue to serve. I don't know you or your situation, but I find it interesting the majority of folks gravitate to a new (or newer) double and pass up many excellent vintage rifles with higher workmanship,all hand work, and a history that can't be repeated at any price. But, I guess that is OK as it leaves enough rifles for folks like me and keeps the prices reasonable.
Cheers,
Cal

cal you are correct, a good condition vintage double is often a better choice then a used "new" double. the issue is a person who is new to double rifles often cant identify problems in a double rifle. not all people selling vintage doubles are willing to tell a new person when they are getting in over their head. I always recommend a new rifle to someone who is new to double rifles so if anything should go wrong they can rely on a factory warranty to solve the issue. again an exception would be when buying a double from someone you know and trust.

in my case the rifle was a Searcy double with chamber issues that I did not discover until it was too late to return the rifle. the rifle has been with Mr. Searcy for about a year now waiting to be repaired.

-matt

im off to SA for some PG hunting, will be back on the 19th. when I get back ill be expecting some pictures of people large bore rifles!

-matt

im off to SA for some PG hunting, will be back on the 19th. when I get back ill be expecting some pictures of people large bore rifles!

-matt

Have a great trip and safe hunting!

Shoot straight and enjoy your trip!
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeremiahSt

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double