AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, SCI,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Mexico, Inuvik NWT, Canada, Yukon, BC, Argentina, Limpopo, SA,Namibia, Africa
I am beginning to do my research on PH's for Lion,Hippo and Buffalo. I am beginning my search in Zimbabwe & Zambia.
The reason I feel to start in Zimbabwe & Zambia because my chances to import a Lion with the help of Conservation Force to help me get my ESA Permit for Lion.
I realize it may take years to get my ESA Permit; but after talking to Conservation Force the research that the PH's have done in those 2 Countries that the USF&G requires seems to be on target.
My question to anyone who do you recommend I start talking to now. When I attend DSC & SCI to meet them in person then I will be able to make decisions whom I think is best and will fulfill my list. Personality is very important that we click together and they have quality Fair Chase Trophy game in their hunting areas .
Thanks in advance for your input.

For Zimbabwe I’d look into Charlton McCallum Safaris. I hunted with them with Alan Shearing as PH in 2021 and highly recommend them. I booked after meeting them at DSC show. They don’t oversell but have some exceptional areas and great PHs working for them. I’m rebooked for bull elephant next year. Also the documented improvements and anti-poaching efforts in Dande can only help your case.

Lots of great options in both countries. Below are a list of the folks I’ve talked to recently about hunt elephant options. A couple of the Zim guys I’ve had cat discussions with as well.

Zim: Dalton & York Safaris, Zane Bronkhorst, Vaughan Whitehead-Wilson, and CMS.

Zambia: Strang Middleton, Jason Stone, and Peter Chipman.

Wasn’t Jason Stone at the heart of some controversy a while back?
Maybe? I think I heard something about the warthog a client of his killed, but didn’t pay much attention.

He has a history of killing some absolute giant animals and has guided a lot of world records. I know he rubs some of his competition the wrong way, because he wants to kill the biggest or best animal out there. I’ve heard a lot of praise from people who’ve hunted with him, and a lot of negative comments from people who haven’t. I’ve never heard a negative comment from someone who’s hunted with him. Personally, my conversations with him were really good. There was no pressure, he was very quick and thorough. We were able to just swap hunting stories like we’d known each other for years the first time talking.

Maybe? I think I heard something about the warthog a client of his killed, but didn’t pay much attention.

He has a history of killing some absolute giant animals and has guided a lot of world records. I know he rubs some of his competition the wrong way, because he wants to kill the biggest or best animal out there. I’ve heard a lot of praise from people who’ve hunted with him, and a lot of negative comments from people who haven’t. I’ve never heard a negative comment from someone who’s hunted with him. Personally, my conversations with him were really good. There was no pressure, he was very quick and thorough. We were able to just swap hunting stories like we’d known each other for years the first time talking.
IIRC this would’ve been sometime back. Of course I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of anything

Found it:

Reactions: WAB
IIRC this would’ve been sometime back. Of course I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of anything

Found it:

This is different from what I was thinking, but also related/similar. I have no personal info on this and can’t comment. I’d be curious to know the outcome and why the client in question suddenly dropped off posting.

I did ask Jason about his success on all the book animals. He said there’s some luck, a lot of hard work, but didn’t try any smoke and mirrors games. His response was along the lines of; for the Hunter whose concern is a record book animal, everything has a price. We have a network of PH’s, Ranchers, and Farmers all across Africa we work with, who can look for an area, a breeder, or farm with a potential record book animal. We do our due diligence, like running a bunch of cameras or getting live photos to verify it has potential. We then build a trip around hunting there or that animal specifically. He made zero guarantee, and mentioned breeder and farm which would indicate its likely high fenced to me.

I’m not looking for a hunt like that, but when a PH has clientele with pockets deep enough to do that, he also has connections to hunt some really cool areas, or hunt areas with the documentation to help with export.

Wasn’t Jason Stone at the heart of some controversy a while back?

OK now I am not allowed by the rules of this site as a sponsor and being an outfitter to recommend any other ph...or hunting operation....
So this is poking my toe in the water about giving my honest opinion on this arsehole...so let's see if it stays or is removed....but he is an arsehole of note....and I am quite happy to say it to his face...if that keeps my post on here...:D Beers:

OK now I am not allowed by the rules of this site as a sponsor and being an outfitter to recommend any other ph...or hunting operation....
So this is poking my toe in the water about giving my honest opinion on this arsehole...so let's see if it stays or is removed....but he is an arsehole of note....and I am quite happy to say it to his face...if that keeps my post on here...:D Beers:
As the person who brought him up, you haven’t hurt my feelings. I decided after talking to several different outfitters in both countries as well as Mozambique, that Zimbabwe fit my budget and desires a little better. Once I decided that, I stopped looking into Zambia, and I honestly forgot you’re in Zambia too reach out. There are a bunch of members on here who’ve hunted and highly recommend you so I probably should’ve.

Desfountain Safaris in Zim can meet all your needs and will do a good job.

Charlton McCallum Safaris
John Sharp

Both are very very dependable stand up people.

Reactions: WAB
In Zambia I’d talk to @SpikeT and @PeteG. They can give you the lay of the land.

In Zim I would talk to Len Taylor. Len is as good as there is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.