Best rifle for Namibia?

Pondoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
I had good results with my .375H&H in Namibia, shooting 260 Nosler Accubond, 235 grain Barnes X and 270 grain Remington factory...all worked well but those 260s impressed me..

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Hello all. I'm headed to Namibia in September for some plainsgame but am focusing on eland and giraffe. Any suggestions for best calibers for these species? I don't currently own anything larger than a 30.06 and am perfectly content with that rifles performance. However I'd really like to not only own but also get comfortable with a bigger bore rifle. Any suggestions would be appreciated
@Lobster.mike
If you want a good caliber for the bigger game in Namibia I personally wouldn't go past the 9.3x62. More than enough for the game you mentioned. Just load a good quality 286 grain, for all other plains game go for the 250grain accubonds.
Bob

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I would prefer a .338-06 with 250 grain bullets or 9.3 x 62 with 286 grain bullets over the .375.

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I'd be interested to hear more about the 9.3x62. One of the nice things about the .375 HH is that ammo is easily available
Lobster.mike remember that there is not only a minimum calibre requirement for DG in Namibia, being 375, but also a minimum energy, being 5400 Joules. The 375H&H just makes that. My standard 375 Flanged Magnum does not, unless I soup it up a bit. Nice to be street legal for whatever pitches up anywhere on the globe, and thats 375H&H!

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
Bob, I think I'd prefer something a little more than 250 grs. in a .35 caliber. What's available?

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I just noticed the OP created this thread in Feb. 2019.

Chukar

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Namibia
And hasn't posted in a year or logged in for 11 months....

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Bob, I think I'd prefer something a little more than 250 grs. in a .35 caliber. What's available?
@postoak
If'n you can't handle an Eland with a 35 Whelen loaded with a 250 grain Woodleigh PPSP @2,700 fps and 4,000 for of muzzle energy the thing must be armor plated. If a 338 win mag or 9.3x62 with similar energies will do the job I can't see the the Whelen not doing it. I would gladly take on a cape buffalo with it if it was legal.
Bob

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I've gotten into slow moving round nose bullets. I'd go with the 275 grain bullet I see on MidwayUSA, if I still had my .35 Whelen.

BTW, I can only get 2425 fps with the 250 grain bullet in my .338-06. That makes it the ballistic equivalent of the .318 Westley Richards, but then that had a good rep.

I am loading my 9.3x62 to 2375 fps with 286 grain bullets but I could probably get 2425 fps with them too.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I've gotten into slow moving round nose bullets. I'd go with the 275 grain bullet I see on MidwayUSA, if I still had my .35 Whelen.

BTW, I can only get 2425 fps with the 250 grain bullet in my .338-06. That makes it the ballistic equivalent of the .318 Westley Richards, but then that had a good rep.

I am loading my 9.3x62 to 2375 fps with 286 grain bullets but I could probably get 2425 fps with them too.
@postoak
You can SAFELY get almost 2,500 fps with a 275gn and push a 310 gn woodleigh RNSP up to over 2,200 fps out of the Whelen.
Bob

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
G
@postoak
I would prefer my stoutly loaded 35 Whelen with 250grain Woodleigh PPSP
Bob
Bob loves Namibia and the Whelen.

.375H&H keeps coming up, otherwise the Whelen makes sense if you want to go lighter.
Just means buying another rifle later if there is DG in you future.
I guess you can download a .375 if recoils is an issue. Shot placement is what is required so a sensible load at a sensible range may not need to be the fastest round for the rifle.

autofire

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia(2), RSA(2), Botswana(2)
I have used my .308 on everything -warthog zebra, impala and wildebeast and it worked great. My .375 Ruger crushed eland, croc, kudu and waterbuck. I love standard action of .375 Ruger. But realize ammo availability is more limited than .375 H&H. You'll ne happy with whatever you decide. Have fun and good luck.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I have used my .308 on everything -warthog zebra, impala and wildebeast and it worked great. My .375 Ruger crushed eland, croc, kudu and waterbuck. I love standard action of .375 Ruger. But realize ammo availability is more limited than .375 H&H. You'll ne happy with whatever you decide. Have fun and good luck.
Mmm, Croc, now there is something I might want to hunt.
.308 is widely used in Australia, has on probably any animal we have. It’s effective and popular

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tn4lee

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...