AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Hello All,

A question on reloading manuals, websites, and the like - what would you all say is the definitive resource for your own reloading needs? I am a novice reloader, with a couple reloading manuals, but looking to expand my library. Specifically, I am reloading for .404 Jeffery. 9.3x62, and 6.5x55, with plenty of info on the 6.5, but lacking on the 9.3 and .404. Does anyone know of a resource which includes adequate/extensive info on these last two? (Ken Waters, Norma, Hornady etc.)
Also wondering if an e-subscription to one of the online reloading sites might be the way to go?
Thanks to you all in advance.

There are none. If you look at a manual or source today and then tomorrow they come out with a new one odds are you will find two different sets of loads for just about every round in the manual or source.
For myself I have a dozen different hard copy manuals, mostly from the bullet manufactures. The older ones contain "hotter" loads than the newer manuals do, so does that mean that the "hotter" loads are not to be used, I don't think so as long as you use proper technique in building your loads up.

Remember if you change even the lot numbers of the powder or primers you should back off your max load and work it back up. Yes, there can be a difference that could cause problems

As for info for rounds that Ken Waters built up, look at Midway and see if they have a specific manual for just the single cartridge. I have one for the 7-30 Waters for my Thompson Center Contender and know that there are other manuals out there for specific cartridges. Norma, Hornady, Barnes, Spear, Nosler, and others have their own loading manuals that specify their bullets.

I am well covered by the powder manufacturer that is the most accessible for me: Vihtavuori. They have a pretty good selection of reloading data:

They don't have much on "heavies" but 9.3x62 certainly.

They also have more general advice, if you look into the site menus.

I am well covered by the powder manufacturer that is the most accessible for me: Vihtavuori. They have a pretty good selection of reloading data:

They don't have much on "heavies" but 9.3x62 certainly.

They also have more general advice, if you look into the site menus.
Use the manual for the bullet you want to load. Barnes manual for Barnes bullets, Speer for Speer, etc.

There are none. If you look at a manual or source today and then tomorrow they come out with a new one odds are you will find two different sets of loads for just about every round in the manual or source.

I agree..

For the most part I rely on manuals from Hornady, Barnes, Lyman, Nosler, and some pages from Ken Waters Pet Loads.. each has a little something to offer that the others dont (for example, I can find a reference for using IMR 4064 for almost every caliber I reload for, from .243 to 416 Taylor.. but to do that, I have to use every manual listed.. not one of them has a 4064 reference for everything..)..

Ive also found some manuals are a little more liberal with their listed speeds than others.. while some manuals say XXXX gn of powder is a "max" load, while another will say that YYYY gn is a max load of the same powder using a similar weight, similar bc projectile...

Norma, Woodleigh and A-Square (if you can find a copy) loading manuals have the calibers you mentioned. Norma lists their load data on their website also. This forum here, Africa Hunting, should have reloading threads for the calibers you listed I would think. For the 9.3x62 I would recommend a copy of 9.3x62 Mauser Journal by Hendrik Van Der Schyff.

I have been using QuickLoad for many years now. Overall it has worked well for me. It also gives a larger selection of powder. I find loading manuals to be limited in their choices of powder but I think they are a good reference for comparisons with other sources. Whether you use loading manuals or QuickLoad realize they are only an approximation of what to expect.

As @Justhunt wrote, "Take a look at Loaddata.com. By Wolfe Publishing, who put out Rifle and Handloader magazines."

Loaddata.com pulls data from many sources. For a desired cartridge and bullet weight, it provides the data from different sources via separate pages. Example, for Barnes bullets, click on the Barnes data page. Same for Swift, Sierra, Hornady, Lee, Hodgeon, Alliant, and so on.

I have Quickload and it is good for working up loads. It predicts load data based on parameters such as small changes in case capacity, bullet seating depth, and so on. It is a great tool but it is also advisable to compare the data it provides with a couple or more other sources for the SAME data.

Don't get me wrong, I love theoretical tools like Quickload! That stated, Dave Emary, the former Chief Ballistician of Hornady, who developed the 6.5 Creedmore, plastic ballistic tips for bullets Leverevolution ammo, 17 HMR and so on (pretty smart guy) advised me in no uncertain terms to BE CAREFUL using Quick Load.

Quickload Screenshot from:
Notice in the link above this is "Prediction Software".

1676370759159.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reiterating what others have said, be safe. To that end, buy 3 or 4 manuals and read the first half of each before you start weighing powder.

As it happens, I also reload for the 3 specific cartridges you mention, though I have only just started with the 404J. There is a "magic" load for 404J which several guys here use, and the powder charge is well above any published max, yielding about 2300 fps with A Frames.

For 9.3x62 and 6.5x55, it's very tempting to chase velocity, and also not necessary (unless you just really love doing load development).

For the former, lots of folks do get great velocity out of Ramshot Big Game, loads recommended by John Barsness (goes by "mule deer" at another forum - 24 hour campfire) start at 62 grains. John has done A LOT of testing with that, and is a well known personality in this world. I personally find similar performance with Alliant 2000 MR (Hornady has a published load for this one, as does Speer). That said, the Hornady bullet is the only 1 so far that I've pushed to 2400+ fps, very good groups. I found a REALLY good load for Norma Oryx at only 2250 and haven't really found any need to push it harder.

For 6.5x55, again, no real need to lean on the bullets. I get very good accuracy with both H4350 and IMR4831 for all the bullets I've tried at 140 gr or heavier. I have settled on 160 gr Woodleigh and H4350 as my primary hunting load, but the Woodleigh factory burned down a couple years ago and they're still rebuilding. So I ordered some Lapua Mega 155 gr and worked up loads for it with IMR4831. The Woodleighs are coming out at about 2380 fps, and the Lapuas at just shy of 2500. I could probably safely push both to 2600 fps, but it really wouldn't improve velocity/range/energy by enough to make it worth the effort, at least not to me.

The guy on this forum with the most LD experience in 6.5x55 is probably @Shootist43. If you have particular questions, I'd ask him first (which i did when I first started working up loads).

I use the bullet manufacturers' manuals, Quickload and for reference only, ammoguide.com. I only use Quickload with powders proven to specific cartridges and with rifles chambered in wildcats

For 6.5x55 it might be good to notice that you can find two different sets of data: one for old rifles like Krag-Jörgensen, Mauser M1896, etc. and one for more modern rifles that can take higher pressures.
The small ring Mausers do not suffer the same issues as the KJs.

For my reloading needs, I need all of the following:

1.) Woodleigh Manual
2.) Swift manual
3.) Nosler Manual
4.) Barnes manual

Others may need speer/sierra/lyman/hodgdon/hornady.

Many of the loads I deal with came off a napkin or sticky note to repeat a vintage load with a given performance desired (reproduce kynoch) using IMR3031 to approximate a Cordite load.

I am not a tinkerer. I do not load for accuracy because I've found chasing accuracy is a needless waste of time. I load for regulation and I load for flawless feed and I select bullets that work exceptionally well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross