Best Reloading Kit For The Money

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.22.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.22.04 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.22.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 12.22.07 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
$1700 seems like enough to make sure it's all made in the USA.

Is there made reloading equipment somewhere else?

;)

HWL

I use a RCBS rock chucker for precision rifle stuff and throw powder out of a RCBS lite auto dispenser. If it is for match or long range work, throw it a couple tenths short and tweezer in on a lab scale that reads hundreds. I mostly use Redding match dies but RCBS do a great job as well. I am spoiled when it comes to seating dies and only use micro adjust in Redding or Forster because seating depth is important in most of my load work ups. I use a Dillon 650 for 223 and pistol ammo because it is just so much faster and pretty repeatable as far as powder dispensing and such. Where my groups may change with 1/10 of a grain in my rifle loads, my pistol doesn't see those extended ranges. For an example, my rifle may shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards, that doesn't mean that load will shoot at extended ranges. Your speed may be 100 fps apart and it will start to show at further distances with vertical stringing. Your shooting discipline also has a lot to do with what you want to purchase besides a press. If it is solely for hunting to let's say 300 yards and under, my vote is Rock Chucker and rcbs auto dispenser. Another great option that I just thought of is a Redding T7 manual turret press that a lot of match shooters use and leave their dies setup on. It is all manual that you have a handle to index to the next stage but once you get your dies set up, you completely load a cartridge before moving to the next. Good luck with your new hobby!

Kits....

They don't have everything in them you need and they have stuff you don't need

what would you recommend a beginner purchases in order to start safely reloading?

what would you recommend a beginner purchases in order to start safely reloading?
A Lee Loader Kit in .38 Special, Federal Small Pistol Primers, bullets, a pound of powder that works with your kit and bullet weight according to the chart in the kit, and brass which you should have from shooting.

I'd just purchase a kit.

If you had someone sitting next to you when you go to purchase parts and to walk you through it then you could piecemeal it.

First off what do you plan on loading? Rifle or pistol? What might work for reloading a pistol round might not work well for a rifle round.

With quality kit you may only purchase the main components only once. If you do it one part at a time you may buy things two or three times.

For basic reloading here is what you need:

Press

Scale

Case reamer

A way to seat primers

Funnel, so you don't dump powder all over

Dies for the cartridge you plan on loading. For straight wall pistol cases get a set of carbide dies. It is only the size die that is carbide.

Case lube, I like Hornady's One Shot

A loading block to hold the cases upright

Reloading manual, most bullet manufacturer's have them. They don't only supply load data but have a lot of great information also.

With all that you just need powder, primers, bullets, and cases and you can start putting rounds together

With a kit you get all the above except for the manual, dies, and loading components. But you also get a few other things depending on the kit. In the long run if you purchase everything that is in the kit you will spend around 50% more than the kit

I bought the RCBS kit. The only thing I don’t use is the case lube pad. I use one shot. The only thing I had to buy were dies (obviously) a case trimmer, and a primer pocket brush.

I used a Lee Challenger Reloading Kit for around 25 years. It works great. I finally got sick of weighing each load and now have an electronic scale. You can spend a lot of money on reloading kits, but they are pretty much the same, except for the marketing department. It is all about leverage and physics. You can get into it for around $220. with the Lee Challenger kit plus the shell holder for the case that you are reloading.
You will also probably need two shell holders to hold the cases as you reload, plus a trimmer and chamfer. Some q-tips to lube the throat of the case, and a lube tray to lube the outside of the case. You will also need a full length die and and a seating/crimping die.
Have fun

Viviendo en su país donde el surtido es muy amplio, entraría en Brownell, por ejemplo, y montaría mi equipo de recarga a gusto ... lo mejor de cada herramienta ...
I had to manufacture what I liked best and seemed convenient, because in my country they do not always bring the best, but what is best for the importer.

I have an old single stage RCBS "O" press that I got almost 40yrs ago. Still use it. Works great. I also have a Hornady Progressive press to reload pistol as it's quicker for this task. I've been considering getting into competition rifle shooting. It was suggested that a Forster CO-AX press would be the best option for this.
I agree with some of the suggestions regarding getting a press and build from there.
From my experience a few suggestions for additional equipment would include:
- stuck case remover
- some kind of bullet puller because you will screw up. I use a Kinetic puller
- digital calipers (for older eyes)
- universal decapping die(s)
- more than one type of lubricant. Straight wall cases sometimes don't cooperate with spray lubes. Bee's wax is an option
- magnifying glass
- I find an RCBS Positive Ram Priming Unit quite handy as I like to prime separately (I also use another single stage press for this)
- I use both a balance beam and electronic scale/powder dispenser. I use them to check each other every so often
- primer pocket cleaning tool
- if you are going to use military or surplus ammo/brass you will need a military crimp remover to ream the crimp from the primer pocket
- notebook or computer to record loads
- lube pad
- chamfering tool
- primer flipper tray
- nylon case neck brushes (not copper)
- tumbler of some kind
- powder trickler
- powder funnel
- trimmer of some type
- chronograph
These are 40 years worth of suggestions of course. Depends on how serious you want to get. Some of the benchrest guys I shoot with get really into it and it starts to get expensive.
Three things to remember
ONE CAN OF POWDER ON THE BENCH AT ONE TIME. SEALED WHEN NOT IN USE
PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING...NO DISTRACTIONS!
HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

RCBS Rockchucker all the way.Keep an eye on the ads like Gungroker and be patient. You can save some money.
Have used a RCBS digital for many years but still zero it out with my old Oahu’s beam scale. The Lyman 55 has dropped many loads and keeps on giving.
Reloading is a great hobby/pastime.
Good luck and pay attention to what you are doing.

Thanks 8x68, your post was very comprehensive. I looked at your list comparing it with mine.. There are a few differences.
1. Lee Anniversary Breech Lock Kit $199 (press, scale, powder measure, funnel, trimmer, chamfer tool, pocket cleaning tool and primer). A great value. This is how I started, 25 years ago.
2. Dies: I like Lee dies, but they are pretty much the same IMHO. I always neck size so I get the set with the collet die. Additionally, I get the factory crimp die. $35 + $20.
3. Reloading trays.... The best now available are the blue plastic ones from Frankford Arsenal, Grafs sell them for $9.99 each..... I have some old wooden ones from Midway too But they are no longer available.
4. Cartridge specific case length gauge for trimming , from Lee about $10 each.
5. RCBS case lube tray.
6. MY BIG Changes after 20 years: I grew tired of weighing each charge, and I never trusted the volume theory of loading, so I flopped for the RCBS Chargemaster Combo and now throw my charges with the electronic scale. this puppy cost $200.
7. Second Big change: After 20 years my Lee press was getting a bit wobbly, so I found an RCBS RockChucker at A flea market for around $25., and made the switch.
8. Caliper $15.00 at Harbor freight.
9. Bullet Comparator for land micro adjustment.... A practical bit of advice here. If you are worried about how far off the lands to set your bullet, just remember to also check to insure that the bullet will still fit in the magazine. $30.
10. Loaded ammo cases $15., with labels. I use mailing labels and label each box of loaded ammo with the details for that load.
11. flashlight.... I inspect each tray After cases are charged with powder. I want to visually insure that there is powder in each case, and that the levels appear equal. This prevents double charges as well as squib charges. $10.00

I am with 8x68 on his suggestions about the reloading area. No distractions... Including Rock’n Roll on the radio and No clutter.
Reloading is a very satisfying part of shooting and hunting for me.

I'm just getting started and ordered two kits from RCBS. A prep kit and the brand new Rebel Plus press kit. The press is due to arrive today, probably tonight as UPS has been running late.

I'll try to report back but I was really impressed with the simplicity of the Rebel, hoping it's a step up from the Rock Chucker. Does not have on board priming but does push spent primers straight through the bottom. I have not huge but large than normal hands which are starting to stiffen up. This press seems really open and roomy. And my primary goal is loading 450 NE no.2 3 1/2" so need a big open press.

I went with a Hornady kit but if I had my time again I would probably buy individual items separately instead of buying a kit so I get exactly what I want. No complaints with the Hornady kit though especially the press it's brilliant, since buying the Hornady kit I have added some more bits and pieces - Hornady Case trimmer, RCBS Chargemaster Lite, Hornady Wet Tumbler, Lyman Media Separator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg