Best primer for .375 H&H

DOC-404

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
CCI 250 MAGNUM primers for the .375...or something else? Any input will be appreciated.

I've been quite happy with the Federal 215's for everything in the larger sizes.

I like the FED 215's also but can't find them. I've been using Remington 9 1/2M as a substitute and have had no problems with them.

I actually used CCI 200 std large rifle with my .375 loads which utilized over 80 grs of IMR 4831 powder with no issues. Mag primers can sometimes elevate pressures and I only use them when specifically called for with some of the hard to light powders like some ball powders or really large doses of slow burning powders. While it would seem that my .375 loads would scream for mag primers I never used them.

Went to the range today for some testing and found that my best 3 shot groups came from the CCI BR -2's that I use for my cz 550 in .308! Thirty rounds later,my shoulder is a bit tender but at least I have no more plaque on my teeth..! :cool:

I generally use Fed. 215 magnum primers but I have used Rem 9 1/2's also with out to much difference being found.

Most of the reloading manuals state that a "magnum" primer should be used on powder charges exceeding 60gn. The 375 charges are pretty much all well over that.

CCI 250's, Rem 9-1/2's, Fed 215's have all functioned well for me.

My choice is Federal 215M or WLRM. I have never had a hangfire with either with any powder in any case. They are also excellent for Ball Powders.

GOOD OLD FEDERAL 215

I use CCI, Federal, or Remington magnum primers in my .375 loads and have noticed no measurable difference between them. I do not use standard primers in the .375.

More then 30 years ago I ran a comparison trial on CCI 250 and Federal 215 LRM primers.
I used a 375 HH and a 458 Lott. did 10 rounds of each with IMR 4350 in the 375 and IMR 4320 in the 458 Lott. Used 300 gr Hornadys in the 375 and 500 gr Hornadys in the Lott.
At the time my Chrony was a Beta and waited 5 minutes between each shot for barrel to cool,somewhat.
That 40 rounds in total and it was shot in February in Pennsylvania.
Have not found the records but my recollection is, for hunting purposes less then 18 fps variance with the same primer and about the same between the two primers. So for hunting I use either one.
Now have a Labradar so if time permits and supplies become available I will have to duplicate.

Whatever magnum primer you can find will work just fine. With today's scarcity of reloading components its hard to be picky. For what its worth I have always favored Winchester primers and laid in a good supply of them a few years ago. Good luck!

I use the CCI #34 for ALL my large rifle cartridges 27O Win through 450 Watts.

Anyone use CCI 34 for their large magnum rifles? I have heard they are mainly used for military but have the same magnum properties.

I've only used the Federal 210's & 215's on close to 1,000 rounds. No plans to change.

I had to use Remington 9 1/2M magnum primers as a replacement for the Federal 215M's that I had developed .458 Win loads for my double Heym. I found a 25 fps increase with 9 1/2M over that of the 215M primers. The ES was much the same. This would not be a bug deal in a bolt action but for my double, I reduced the powder charge by 1 grain to lower the velocity to what my rifle was regulated for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg