Best Hard rifle case

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Has anyone used, handled or bought a Condition 1 hard rifle case. They appear to be well made. And lighter then the heavy SKB and Pelicans.

I think my pelican weighs 25 pounds and the equivalent Condition 1 is 19 pounds.

I used a Condition 1 case for my ammo on this past trip as Air Link sends it separate out of the checked luggage. Granted, it wasn't a rifle case, but it held up great on the one leg from Jo-burg and then each leg on the way home as we checked thru to Chicago from Bulawayo.
Does make me want to try out one of their rifle cases though.

Last edited:
IMG_1357.jpeg
I’ve got a vault single that weighs 16 pounds and a double that weighs 24.95 pounds
Too heavy.

Those Vanguard Winchester Black Rifle & Pistol Cases were a given as a gift long ago for storage @ Home.

I have no idea if their worth their weight in their weight?

Check out Tuffpak. Looks like a case for golf clubs, and you can stash loads of gear in the case. I like it better than Pelican case, plus it’s a lot lighter.

I used one of these for my last trip and was very pleased:

It holds guns extremely tightly, so remove bolts from bolt-actions or the case will poke holes in the foam.

You can also put 4 strong, non-TSA, padlocks on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 7.29.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 7.29.13 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
View attachment 554673I’ve got a vault single that weighs 16 pounds and a double that weighs 24.95 pounds
Too heavy.
I use a single Pelican Vault for two guns. Not light but a LOT less bulky than the borrowed double Kalispel case I used my first two trips. I duct tape around the case over the latches ... well that was the plan until the security gal at Joberg stole my roll from carryon. Both scopes travel in carryon.
16915338836971861004684596064473.jpg

Last 2 trips I have TuffPac with 3 rifles, was under the 70lbs for business class I was flying. I really like the TuffPac, since I will have soft cases for each. Used Pelican 1750 first 3 trips with no issues also. If I am taking only 1 rifle it will be Pelican. If two or more TuffPac.

I only take one bolt rifle so Pelican 1700 is ideal. It’s compact and handy and the shorter length is less vulnerable to damage. Total weight with one 11 lb rifle is 27 lbs. I take the barreled action out of the stock and treat all my bolt actions just like take down rifles- they fit perfectly in the Pelican 1700.

Pelican 1750 here, used to use a Cabela's rolling metal case, not sure why I switched, but I did, I like this Pelican.

I'm a case junkie. I have a Tuff pak, Pelican and on my most recent trip I used a Nanuk 995. I took a double rifle, 375 H&H Blaser and a 300 Win Mag Barrel. Total weight was 49 pounds, I carried 2 scopes in my carry on. I was impressed with the Nanuks durability and their latch system.

The Pelican storm 3300 is 2 lbs lighter than the pelican vault.

But now I use a shorter pelican with Blaser rifles. 2 stocks, 3 barrels, 3 bolts: I think the total weight is around 44 lbs. Scopes go in my carry on.

@Altitude sickness

The Condition 1 45" long case #1229 weighs 17.6 lbs empty and is 66.94" in linear length, which is over the 62" limit imposed by most airlines.

The closest in dimensions to that case is the Pelican 1700 that weighs 15.1# empty and is 61.03" in linear length.

I have no experience with the Condition 1 cases so I'm not able to give a good apples to apples review. What I do know is that if an airline gate agent wants to be a jerk, they can pull out the tape measure and have you pay extra for exceeding the 62" limit regardless of the weight. This can be from $100 to $300 per flight.

The Pelican 1700 is around $260 while the Condition 1 is around $250 (prices from Amazon). The reality is that a gate agent isn't likely to check your linear dimensions if you want to save $10, go with the Condition 1. If you want a known quality product that's lighter than the Condition 1, go with the Pelican 1700.

Check out Tuffpak. Looks like a case for golf clubs, and you can stash loads of gear in the case. I like it better than Pelican case, plus it’s a lot lighter.
You are right, it does look like golf clubs...right up to the point where they see the sticker that says FIREARMS. No one is going to be fooled by this. Tuffpak is a quality product and the only real danger I see is possibly overloading it and going over the 50 lb weight.

I use a Pelican 1750. Not sure of the weight but it is a single gun case and has wheels at one end. I really like it.
The Pelican 1750 will typically hold at least two rifles. This is the one we used to have but sold to another member. The same problem can arise with airline travel and additional baggage charges.
1693740003898.png

The Condition 1 double rifle case that appears to be closest to my Pelican double
Is 66.94 linear length and 19.2 pounds 15 linear feet less than the comparable pelican.

Compared to my pelican vault double at 82 linear length and 24.95 pounds.

My pelican vault single is 71 linear length 16.8 pounds

The website says the weight savings is from different plastic used. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad ?

And I have actually had someone measure my pelican and declare it over sized, when getting on a small plane. But let me slide

With the money I have wrapped into cases. I doubt I would sell them and buy the Condition 1.

Just don’t like how heavy they are. Without the scopes. Rifles are not fragile items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.