Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Good day AH community!

Come and join us for the adventure of a lifetime chasing the "South African Mule deer". This new area of ours is located close to the town of Kokstad and is truly a Reedbuck hunting paradise. Something the likes of which we have never seen before. It is one of those places that is hard to describe to someone that has not seen it first hand, as it sounds like a classic fisherman's story when one tries to explain the sheer volume of reedbuck one can see in a day! Typically you can expect to see anywhere from 100 to 250 Reedbuck per day of which a substantial amount are rams. This is due to incredible area management and an abundance of natural terrain that they have thrived in.

The hunt can ideally be broken into two options:

Option A: is to break the hunt into 2 parts. Part one would consist of hunting some of the more common plains game species for a few days en route to the Reedbuck Concession. Upon finishing with the plains game hunting the hunter will continue to the Reedbuck area and finish there.

Option B: is to head directly to the Reedbuck area and focus all efforts in that specific area. Other species found in Kokstad are Oribi, Duiker, Mountain Reedbuck, Blesbuck, Springbuck, Black Wildebeest and in isolated pockets Vaal Reedbuck.

Accommodation is a beautiful stone lodge and any guests will be more than comfortable there. Most days lunch is had in the field and a normal hunting day consists of a lot of glassing, with your 2 main sessions typically being the morning and afternoon although a bedded ram can be spotted at any point in the day! This makes for an exciting day as you move from vantage point to vantage point hoping to find something big enough to make a move on! The pricing is as follows:

Day fee's:
USD $330
CAD $350
AUD $390
Euro €300

Trophy Reedbuck USD $1300 : Cull Reedbuck $300
Trophy Reedbuck CAD $1715 : Cull Reedbuck $400
Trophy Reedbuck AUD $1835 : Cull Reedbuck $425
Trophy Reedbuck Euro €1100 : Cull Reedbuck €260

Permit fee's included in Reedbuck Price.
Other animals can be added at additional cost.
Other hunter/observers welcome at additional cost.

INCLUDED IN PACKAGE:
• Licensed Professional Hunter, a Tracker, Skinner and hunting vehicle.
• Accommodation on a full board basis, incl. non-alcoholic drinks and table beer/wine
• Transfer from and to Johannesburg international Airport.
• Transport between and on hunting Area A and Area B
• Laundry service (Except on Sundays).
• Field preparation of Trophies.
• Licenses for trophies (Permit controlled animals excl)

EXCLUDED IN PACKAGE:
• Flight from and to Johannesburg International Airport, and any national flights from one concession to the next.
• Hard tack (whiskey, brandy etc)
• Firearms and ammunition. (Rifle Hire – €30 /Day)
• Hotel accommodation before and after the hunt – if required.
• Taxidermy, packing, insurance, transport.
• Dipping and shipping of trophies.
• Personal expenses ex. Tips, Telephone, Souvenirs etc.
• Tourist Programmes

If you'd like more info please feel free to contact us at:

hunt@baylysippelsafari.co.za
+27 719821685 - Dempsey Bayly
+27 833994593 - Michael Sippel

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

IMG_20200930_181855.jpg
IMG_20201022_141455.jpg
IMG_20201022_141545.jpg
IMG_20201022_142003.jpg
IMG_20201022_142142.jpg
IMG_20201124_133959-01.jpeg
IMG_20201124_134317-01.jpeg
20201002_102406.jpg
20201002_103809.jpg
20201002_171338.jpg
20201003_143037.jpg
IMG_20201001_152141.jpg
IMG_20201002_204559.jpg
IMG_20201003_234147.jpg
IMG_20201010_215950.jpg
IMG_20201015_165009.jpg
IMG_20201015_165140.jpg

A beautiful white tailed mongoose we saw catching and eating a mouse! This is an option for the avid species collectors out there!
IMG_20201002_193126.jpg

So I gotta ask. Why so many with broken horns? Very nice looking Reedbucks by the way. I think they're a pretty cool animal and I got a nice one a few years ago. Seem to be overlooked by many hunters.
Bruce

Is this in the Free State?

So I gotta ask. Why so many with broken horns? Very nice looking Reedbucks by the way. I think they're a pretty cool animal and I got a nice one a few years ago. Seem to be overlooked by many hunters.
Bruce
I'm going to go on on a limb and surmise ( yes dangerous :) ) based on the number of mature rams that are based in a description of the property.

I've never heard of the them being called the SA Mule Deer, What is the comparison? Terrain, behavior, they "stotting" instead of run. ( Stotting- Mule deer have a unique leaping gait, in which all four of their legs touch the ground at the same time while running.) :0

Last edited:

Jeff,

Kokstad is in the sourthern tip of KwaZulu Natal. The area is a blend of grasslands from the ocean’s side, and rolling hills at the foothills of the southeastern portion of the Drakensberg.

Wonderful climate, and truly free roaming unfenced reedbuck in great numbers.

Fantastic eating too. One of my best trophies is a 14" buck from Zim in 1996.

Jeff,

Kokstad is in the sourthern tip of KwaZulu Natal. The area is a blend of grasslands from the ocean’s side, and rolling hills at the foothills of the southeastern portion of the Drakensberg.

Wonderful climate, and truly free roaming unfenced reedbuck in great numbers.
Spot on!

Like Dewald said Kokstad is indeed in KwaZulu Natal close to the southeastern section of the Drakensberg. A quick search on google maps will show you where it is! We are probably 25 minutes from the town itself.

Fantastic eating too. One of my best trophies is a 14" buck from Zim in 1996.
Absolutely one of the finest venison's available to the hunter in Africa! We will definitely be eating fresh Reedbuck on the trip! Congrats on your superb Reedbuck in Zim sir, if you have a pic please share with us!

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

The population of rams is so large that there is an unbelievable amount of competition for the ewe's thus the fighting between these rams never seems to stop. The broken horned rams or rams with weaker genetics are considered the cull rams that we target whilst there. Broken horned rams are much more easily able to kill a healthy trophy ram and it is for this reason we will always try and target a broken horned ram. But as is the case with hunting sometimes you can run into many broken horned "management/cull" rams and at other times run into very few! In this instance we saw plenty! It is one of the ways we ensure the real monsters are even better looked after going forward!

I'm going to go on on a limb and surmise ( yes dangerous :) ) based on the number of mature rams that are based in a description of the property.

I've never heard of the them being called the SA Mule Deer, What is the comparison? Terrain, behavior, they "stotting" instead of run. ( Stotting- Mule deer have a unique leaping gait, in which all four of their legs touch the ground at the same time while running.) :0
You are spot on about the density of rams being one of the major causes for all the busted horns! The fighting never seems to stop over there! Also you cannot leave the rams with broken horns unchecked as they kill your monster rams if they get into a scuffle far more easily. We refer to them as the "South African mule deer" mainly due to the style of hunting and terrain. We spot them from afar often with the help of a spotting scope in big open rolling hills and often inside wheat fields! Much like your mule deer often you just see their horns peeking above the grass. Once you have him locked in you can often stalk in nice and close like you would on a mule deer, just watching those horns sticking above the grass line! I don't think their running style is the same but the style of hunting and habitat sure seems similar! Kind regards, Dempsey & Michael

Video of this wonderful hunting destination coming soon! Subscribe to our YouTube channel so you don't miss out!

Here is a video of what one can expect! This is worth the trip guys!

Don't forget to watch the video guys!
IMG_20210216_115138.jpg

I can see now why you call them the African Mule Deer.
very cool offer. I’d like to hunt one of these guys one of these days.

Good area look after it!!!

I can see now why you call them the African Mule Deer.
very cool offer. I’d like to hunt one of these guys one of these days.
There are definitely similarities haha! And you wont regret hunting this awesome species, great eating as well!

Kind regards,
Dempsey Bayly & Michael Sippel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg