best bolt action for dangerous games

Under $2000, gotta go with the Winchester Mod. 70 Safari Express--375 H&H.
Over $2000 but less than $10,000, probably a Dakota or Kimber.
Over $10,000 but less than $20,000, John Rigby & Co. Big Game in 416 Rigby or the Mauser version not finished by Rigby.
Over $20,000--the Rigby London Best, or any of the other London makers.

Hi to all members.
Interesting post!
I have a Voere model 2155 in . 270w. with a mauser k98 action.
I never had the pleasure to hunt in Africa,but I eard Voere rifles were very popular in South Africa.
Mine is an amazing rifle, dependable, very accurate an also gave me very good moments here in Europe.
What do you think of this guns and do any one own one? What's your opinion of this wonderful caliber for african plains game?
Thanks.
I used a Voere Model 2165 Magnum in .300 Winchester Magnum during an African safari in 1996. It used it exclusively for all of the plains game on that safari, loaded with 200Gr Nosler Partitions. The rifle was incredibly accurate. And I found the action to be extremely reliable. True Austrian workmanship.
Gee whiz, was just going to say, Post '64 model 70 Winchester! Push feed actions are often maligned for no good reason.:sneaky:

Are you aware that when Remington was developing the 700 action, that they ran tests between the Mauser and the 700 extractor and the Mauser failed first?:cautious:
Tests made by a firearm company to promote one of their products over another company's products have a long history of being extremely biased and unreliable. To put matters into perspective, when Winchester first came up with the post '64 Model 70 ... They used Dave Ommaney in a promotional video to publicly declare that the new push feed action is far more reliable than the old pre '64 control round feed action. 28 years later, the folks at Winchester finally learnt their lesson and came to their senses.

Remington Model 700s are exceptionally accurate rifles. But I've personally had two that failed to extract expended cartridges (one in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum which actually had the extractor break and one in 7mm Remington Magnum). And at least one of my white hunters experienced a similar extraction failure in his Remington Model 700 (which was chambered in .416 Remington Magnum).

Now, for some reason... I've never experienced any extraction problems in Remington Model 700s that were chambered in .308 Winchester or .30-06 Springfield or .458 Winchester Magnum. Nor have I ever heard of any from a credible source. Strange, isn't it ?

I do know (from personal experience) that the Remington Model 700 extractor is too small for the big .375 Holland & Holland Magnum case.

Last edited:
Waiting on the Blaser group to get in the discussion. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :A Popcorn: :A Popcorn:

If the extractor on a Mauser 98 actioned rifle is beveled (by an experienced gunsmith), then it will allow you to snap the extractor directly over a cartridge in the chamber. The new Winchester Model 70 Safari Express is a good example.

Remington Model 700s are poorly suited for dangerous game. Unless you have an experienced gunsmith fit it with an M-16 extractor.
Very interesting to know that about the M98 estractor - as for the Rem 700, sure I know it's not the kind of action suited for DG, mine was just an example regarding a very single aspect of that action.

If man made it, it can and will at some point fail.
I'll add that one of the very finest .416 Remington Magnum caliber rifles which I've ever seen, was actually built on a Remington Model 700 action by a Norwegian gunsmith. He fitted it with an M-16 extractor, a Douglas Premium barrel and a French Walnut stock.

Still, my small complaint is that the rifle was a little slow to load though.

Very interesting to know that about the M98 estractor - as for the Rem 700, sure I know it's not the kind of action suited for DG, mine was just an example regarding a very single aspect of that action.
No, you're 100 % right. Very accurate grouping rifles they are. What caliber is yours ?

Read some Remington history.
I have owned a lot of Rem 700's over the years and have never had one fail to extract a case.

My dad accidentally tried to blow one up once, overcharge of wrong powder was likely. He had to beat the bolt open, but could not get the bolt to retract, so gave it to a smith.
Smith got the bolt out, and guess what was still hanging on to the case rim?
What was left of the case, still there. Extractor held firm at a gross overcharge.
Rifle was put back into service as
Strange that you did not use one for your buffalo but rather a proper rifle....

No, you're 100 % right. Very accurate grouping rifles they are. What caliber is yours ?
Well, my Rem 700 is just a 300 Win and is not by any means a DG rifle - just the first Elk rifle I had, and a very good one on that regard. Very accurate and dependable, light and trim.
My Dangerous Game rifle for Africa is (or better jet the one I plan to use for the purpose) is a Rigby 416 built by Paul Roberts on a Mauser action.

Well, my Rem 700 is just a 300 Win and is not by any means a DG rifle - just the first Elk rifle I had, and a very good one on that regard. Very accurate and dependable, light and trim.
My Dangerous Game rifle for Africa is (or better jet the one I plan to use for the purpose) is a Rigby 416 built by Paul Roberts on a Mauser action.
A fine choice. Paul is a true gentleman who really knows his stuff. He helped develop the .450 Rigby, back when he was running John Rigby & Co.

A fine choice. Paul is a true gentleman who really knows his stuff. He helped develop the .450 Rigby, back when he was running John Rigby & Co.
2022-03-15 15.54.21.png

There is a big difference between a traveling hunter and a PH, and their views on this subject will vary accordingly.

Because I'm a traveling hunter, I feel that if the caliber is legal and rifle is reliable reliable...use it. What gets me is that a hunter will expect zero failures from a brand new rifle (regardless of brand) and take it on a hunting trip and expect it to perform. Rifles need time to be proven reliable. Even better, hunters need constant training to come up to speed with the equipment they are using. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Reliable rifle and well practiced hunter with top quality premium bullets will make your PH very happy.

Of course I vote Blaser R8. :ROFLMAO:

Love my DG Mauser Action in 416.

That said, one thing I don't like about the CRF actions (but I truly like in Rem 700 action...) is that - cornered - you can't just drop one in the chamber, close, and shot :confused:
So my bet obviously is for my pet Rigby, but still I think is not " 100% perfect"
My 404 Jeffery is made on a GMA Mauser 98 action and my .375 H&H is a Model 70 Classic - both CRF, of course. I can easily single load either without using the magazine - drop it in, close and ready. In this instance it functions like a push feed rifle until the round is seated in the chamber and the bolt begins to close.

Just about any decent 'smith can make this work without jeopardizing other functioning of a CRF action.

Strange that you did not use one for your buffalo but rather a proper rifle....
Not really. For DG I prefer a Mauser type, always have. Have taken non Mauser for PG couple of times, worked fine.
My brother took as his one rifle a Remington Classic in .300 H&H for PG in Namibia.
No problem with the rifle at all.

Plan to attend the Dallas Safari Club convention in January or the SCI convention in February in Nashville. All the major gun makers along with the secondary dealers will be there. Find a nice .400 or better caliber rifle that fits you well and in your price range; then buy it and enjoy it.

Gee whiz, was just going to say, Post '64 model 70 Winchester! Push feed actions are often maligned for no good reason.:sneaky:

Are you aware that when Remington was developing the 700 action, that they ran tests between the Mauser and the 700 extractor and the Mauser failed first?:cautious:
So said Remington. 2world wars would beg to differ.

I’d happily use an R8 or a well built rifle on a 98 type action. I own both R8’s and Rigby’s and can’t decide which I like more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross